Post-Game Talk: Leafs Hold On | 6-4 Win Over Panthers

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
I care because you want to shut the door in the 3rd with a big lead, don't give the masses heart attacks in the playoffs.

Would you have any less of a bad time if the Leafs were down 5-1 then scored three empty calorie goals and lost 6-4? I wouldn't.

All I hear about is how Florida is some Titan, well the Leafs trounced them last night.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Thought Nylander looked pretty disinterested last night, not a lot of effort spent.
Wonder if he's not 100%?

Nylanders line was matched against the Panthers top line last night and it was pretty much a wash with both sides giving up nothing. It allowed the Leafs other lines to mostly feast on the Panthers depth before Keefe decided to experiment in the third.

Trust me, keeping the Barkov/Reinhart/Verhaeghe line in check for the majority of your time out there takes some effort, heh.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Would you have any less of a bad time if the Leafs were down 5-1 then scored three empty calorie goals and lost 6-4? I wouldn't.

All I hear about is how Florida is some Titan, well the Leafs trounced them last night.

No, I agree. In the playoffs, it doesn’t really matter how you got the W in the end. I just wish it would be less anxiety inducing, I guess. I will take 16 wins like that, not sure if my heart will LOL.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Nylanders line was matched against the Panthers top line last night and it was pretty much a wash with both sides giving up nothing. It allowed the Leafs other lines to mostly feast on the Panthers depth before Keefe decided to experiment in the third.

Trust me, keeping the Barkov/Reinhart/Verhaeghe line in check for the majority of your time out there takes some effort, heh.
Seemed to do more coasting than normal away from the puck and didn't seem to have the jump offensively that we've seen.
Some things I noticed live that may not have been in camera view.

Even when disinterested he always had that offensive jump, which seemed to be lacking last night as well.
Thought maybe he wasn't 100% but it could be he was focusing on shutting down the Panthers.

It was just an observation, not meant as a Nylander attack. Those I was with all thought the same.
Maybe someone else who attended can chime in.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
Leafs are a different team this year and last nights win was proof.

No Marner, Reilly, Edmundson, Jarnkrok, Liljegren and the Panthers lost when the game mattered in the first 2 periods.

Samsonov was great.
It would be interesting to know the Leafs record with Reilly NOT in the lineup.

Just a side note. If he plays with emotion, he can do his job with authority.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
What I'm trying to figure out is how in the hell he ended up with a +/- of ZERO...
1712064786110.png

What I'm trying to figure out is how in the hell he ended up with a +/- of ZERO...
Benoit +4

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Seemed to do more coasting than normal away from the puck and didn't seem to have the jump offensively that we've seen.

Even when disinterested he always had that offensive jump, which seemed to be lacking last night as well.
Thought maybe he wasn't 100% but it could be he was focusing on shutting down the Panthers.

It was just an observation, not meant as a Nylander attack. Those I was with all thought the same.
Migrain maby? He probably still have those now and then ,even with a tinted visor.
Would like him to score a few goals next game.

Reactions: ACC1224

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

He looked tired.
Wasn't even shooting the puck.
Not sure I chalked it up to playing shutdown, but didn't pay much attention as to whether they were a matchup line.

Reactions: ACC1224

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Team played with pace and had a physical element to them .. Cats look disinterested so don't think that's da Cats ... da 3rd was garbage time so I never really pay much attention to those goals .. Sammy, Matty and Benoit to me watching from my Scotia seats looked like they carried da mail for da most part .. Domi and Bert looked engaged too as did McCabe .. but overall team showed up and push back from Knies helps him earn a playoff roster spot for me .. Cats D was very weak .. i think we can take them even if Bobbo does his thing

bax

Mar 4, 2011
Canada
Thought Nylander looked pretty disinterested last night, not a lot of effort spent.
Wonder if he's not 100%?
I found it a little surprising for a guy chasing 100 points for the first time. I suppose matching up against Barkov has some merit but it was pretty glaring last night just how uninvolved he seemed. At least from a tv perspective.

Reactions: ToneDog and ACC1224

REALTALK81

Pro Log Driver
Nov 16, 2009
I'll take the W but the 3rd period seems more indicative of how Florida will be playing in the playoffs.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
It appears to me that the Ryan Reaves impact "pack mentality" is starting to show throughout the line-up.

Said to be a locker-room presence and leading by example Reaves is setting the stage for the Leafs team to play with more backbone and push back ability physically.

The near Gordie Howe hattrick by Knies of a goal, assist and (roughing penalty) instead of a fight was good example of more players starting to get drawn into the battle and not stepping away but stepping up come time to be physical.

Florida abused the Leafs in last years embarrassing near series sweep, but yesterday showed the Leafs are not that scared intimidated team any more and are ready to fight back if these teams meet again.

Last edited:

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Playing good, and hard, for two thirds of a game just isn't good enough.

Winning the game, and earning 2 points, is what it's all about, however playing so poorly in the 3rd period with a 5-1 lead is totally unacceptable. This could have easily been a game lost in the 3rd period alone.

IMHO, this type of game IS NOT what wins playoff games and series.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
It appears to me that the Ryan Reaves impact "pack mentality" is starting to show throughout the line-up.

Said to be a locker-room presence and leading by example Reaves is setting the stage for the Leafs team to play with more backbone and push back ability physically.

The near Gordie Howe hattrick by Knies of a goal, assist and (roughing penalty) instead of a fight was good example of more players starting to get drawn into the battle and not setting away but stepping up come time to be physical.

Florida abused the Leafs in last years embarrassing near series sweep, but yesterday showed the Leafs are not that scared intimidated team any more and are ready to fight back if these teams meet again.
Reaves pasted a guy early and that seemed to get the team and building into it.
Still no way he should be out at the end defending a lead though.

GrizzLeaf

Registered Bear
Aug 13, 2010
Quebec

The near Gordie Howe hattrick by Knies of a goal, assist and (roughing penalty) instead of a fight was good example of more players starting to get drawn into the battle and not setting away but stepping up come time to be physical.

I think the Reaves effect is a thing.

Last night we didn't see Panther fake tough guys trying to fight smaller Leafs.

That's probably because they know in a few shifts, Reaves will do it to them, whether they want to fight or not.

And of course, like you mentioned... Leaf players know he's there and has their back. It's easier to push back knowing the other team has a little bit of fear.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I know it's possible, I just don't believe Keefe will do it.

If it's a close game he won't roll 3 lines equally. He will have Mattews or Marner out for 25 mins.

What he might do if the Leafs are trailing is throw Nylander up with them for extra shifts
I think a better idea is:

Bert - Matty - Domi
McMann - Willy - Mitch
Holmberg - JT - ?

JT is slowing down and seems to do better as 3C. Willy needs players who can keep up.

Top two lines get equal minutes, third gets less.

Three best players get the most ice time.

To me that's the logical solution, but I doubt Keefe will even considered it.

Reactions: OddyOh and Jojalu

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
I think the Reaves effect is a thing.

Last night we didn't see Panther fake tough guys trying to fight smaller Leafs.

That's probably because they know in a few shifts, Reaves will do it to them, whether they want to fight or not.

And of course, like you mentioned... Leaf players know he's there and has their back. It's easier to push back knowing the other team has a little bit of fear.
Or once the game was out of control they decided not risk injury. They'll get their revenge at home in game #81.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
That 3rd period gives me a sinking feeling if this team has to play Florida in the first round. Maurice will motivate his team for the entire playoffs the way he did for the 3rd period so that's the team to expect, not the one in the first two periods. And then the 2nd most likely option is Boston. Nothing will be easy for the Leafs in 3 weeks.

GrizzLeaf

Registered Bear
Aug 13, 2010
Quebec
That 3rd period gives me a sinking feeling if this team has to play Florida in the first round. Maurice will motivate his team for the entire playoffs the way he did for the 3rd period so that's the team to expect, not the one in the first two periods. And then the 2nd most likely option is Boston. Nothing will be easy for the Leafs in 3 weeks.
Looked to me like the third period was more about the Leafs changing their style of play, than any changes Florida made.

Leafs tried to play to defend the lead instead of continuing to do what gave them success in the first two periods

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad