Confirmed with Link: Leafs hire new Strength and Conditioning coach - Matthew J. Herring

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Another Raptors suggestion? It will be interesting to see how these guys adapt to the ice hockey world.

Some quotes when he was hired by the Spurs in 2013. A little about his work ethic...

"He said he gladly accepted the “once-in-a-lifetime opportunity” offered by the Spurs’ management team a couple weeks ago.

“It’s going to be pivotal, it’s going to be great,” he said.

“They get so many little knocks in each game but reducing those risks will help us tremendously to reach that championship.”

Mr Herring said he especially admired the Spurs’ work ethic. The team is currently second in the NBA.

“Their mentality is parallel to mine, it’s going to be a great match,” he said. “They have the most tremendous winning culture. Everything they do is to perform at the highest level to win.

“They hold themselves and each other accountable over there, and it’s a perfect environment for success.”

http://www.royalgazette.com/article/20130816/news/130819801

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Matt Nichol was great, we just gave up on him way too early. Our loss is Biosteel's gain.

He was. Its a shame we let him go and hired Belza.

It seems fairly obvious that along with changing its play style late in games, they also couldnt work for 60 minutes without running out of gas.

NotSince67*

I agree he was educated in Scotland and Wales. However the poster I quoted was wrong in suggesting this somehow means he is not Bermudan.

He is Bermudan, educated in Scotland and Wales, and returned to Bermuda.

JohnnyO

Aug 10, 2008
I agree he was educated in Scotland and Wales. However the poster I quoted was wrong in suggesting this somehow means he is not Bermudan.

Where did I say he wasn't from Bermuda?

JohnnyO

Aug 10, 2008

The field in which we hired him was learned in GB, Bermuda has nothing to do with it.

NotSince67*

The field in which we hired him was learned in GB, Bermuda has nothing to do with it.

Strength and conditioning programs aren't applicable across all sports. Each sport has it's own specific demands on the body and areas of importance. While it would be dumb of me not to recognize he's an expert in strength and conditioning, it remains to be seen if he has the knowledge specific to the nuances of the demands required by an NHL player. Being from Bermuda, and going out on a limb, but probably having not being exposed to hockey as a player or spectator, nor having been involved with hockey players in his professional career, I'm skeptical that he's aware of the nuances of the demands required by hockey players.

This isn't to say he can;t learn, and he can't learn from others in his field. However, I would have preferred to see someone who has a history of working in the sport.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Strength and conditioning programs aren't applicable across all sports. Each sport has it's own specific demands on the body and areas of importance. While it would be dumb of me not to recognize he's an expert in strength and conditioning, it remains to be seen if he has the knowledge specific to the nuances of the demands required by an NHL player. Being from Bermuda, and going out on a limb, but probably having not being exposed to hockey as a player or spectator, nor having been involved with hockey players in his professional career, I'm skeptical that he's aware of the nuances of the demands required by hockey players.

This isn't to say he can;t learn, and he can't learn from others in his field. However, I would have preferred to see someone who has a history of working in the sport.

i'm pretty sure they have television in Bermuda.

I am also sure that they made sure he was capable of training hockey players before they hired him.

NotSince67*

i'm pretty sure they have television in Bermuda.

I am also sure that they made sure he was capable of training hockey players before they hired him.

Daisy, how does having television 1) Mean that it's televised there (for years EPL and other top European leagues were difficult to find on TV in Canada, despite being the biggest leagues in the most globally popular sport) 2) That he bothered to watch.

I'm willing to bet most Bermudans don't watch much hockey. I'd say it's probably less than people in the Sunbelt, even before expansion.

I'm sure he's capable. But really, I'm sure there's a lot capable trainers. It's not a matter of capable, it's a matter of getting someone who excels in their field and in their sport. I'd be skeptical too if the Leafs signed the strength and conditioning coach of the Giants, NFL or MLB. It's not the same sport, and there is going to be adjustments that will be required.

JohnnyO

Aug 10, 2008
Strength and conditioning programs aren't applicable across all sports. Each sport has it's own specific demands on the body and areas of importance. While it would be dumb of me not to recognize he's an expert in strength and conditioning, it remains to be seen if he has the knowledge specific to the nuances of the demands required by an NHL player. Being from Bermuda, and going out on a limb, but probably having not being exposed to hockey as a player or spectator, nor having been involved with hockey players in his professional career, I'm skeptical that he's aware of the nuances of the demands required by hockey players. Fair enough, that being said I've been to Bermuda 5 or 6 times, I actually watched the playoffs where we knocked out Ottawa after Alfie's "guarantee" there so it's not like they're living under a rock. They completely have access to hockey.

Fair enough, that being said I've been to Bermuda 5 or 6 times, I even watched the Leafs knock out Ottawa after Alfies "guarantee" in Bermuda. They have as much access to hockey as any other country. Anyway hopefully he's a good hire.:)

JohnnyO

Aug 10, 2008
Daisy, how does having television 1) Mean that it's televised there (for years EPL and other top European leagues were difficult to find on TV in Canada, despite being the biggest leagues in the most globally popular sport) 2) That he bothered to watch.

I'm willing to bet most Bermudans don't watch much hockey. I'd say it's probably less than people in the Sunbelt, even before expansion.

I'm sure he's capable. But really, I'm sure there's a lot capable trainers. It's not a matter of capable, it's a matter of getting someone who excels in their field and in their sport. I'd be skeptical too if the Leafs signed the strength and conditioning coach of the Giants, NFL or MLB. It's not the same sport, and there is going to be adjustments that will be required.
I was watching Leafs playoff games in 03-04 there so it is available. Don't know how popular it is though.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009

it was more tongue in cheek.

quite frankly this is the way I see it. Mike Babcock is the who hired his staff. so if it's good enough for Mike Babcock, i don't get why questioning where he is from or that he didn't work in hockey before this is a big deal.

Nor - if the guy was not capable of training hockey athletes - he would have taken the job.

Now - if you want to get worked up about it because he may not have been exposed to hockey until whenever - or whatever issues you pointed out - then by all means, get worked up. I simply don't see the point.

NotSince67*

it was more tongue in cheek.

quite frankly this is the way I see it. Mike Babcock is the who hired his staff. so if it's good enough for Mike Babcock, i don't get why questioning where he is from or that he didn't work in hockey before this is a big deal.

Nor - if the guy was not capable of training hockey athletes - he would have taken the job.

Now - if you want to get worked up about it because he may not have been exposed to hockey until whenever - or whatever issues you pointed out - then by all means, get worked up. I simply don't see the point.

Not really worked up about the hire, skeptical. If anything, I'm worked up about people believing that I have no basis to be skeptical.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Not really worked up about the hire, skeptical. If anything, I'm worked up about people believing that I have no basis to be skeptical.

because you are skeptical based on where he's born, and where he went to school. You pretty much summed up this whole reason why he may not be good - without considering other factors at all.

Just because he didn't go to this world renowed school doesn't mean he didn't have a good education. actually having someone who has a degree in the field, means he knows how to train athletes who play sports like hockey.

and the main thing here is - Mike Babcock who takes this stuff really seriously wouldn't have hired someone who wasn't capable of conditioning hockey players the way he wants them.

but again. it's your prerogative. I personally feel your reasons why you are apprehensive are flimsy at best. but they are your reasons. goodness knows I've been worked up over things people thought was crazy or minuscule.

Doug Gilmour

Oct 5, 2010
So does this mean the Spurs won't be beating Lebron for another championship next year? I guess I'll settle for a Stanley cup in Toronto :sarcasm:

Welcome aboard! He is gonna love Kessel :popcorn:

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
His resume is a little.... underwhelming.

2.5 years at UC Santa Barbara, not exactly a high-level athletic program, and working in low-profile sports.

1.5 years with what I presume to be a Bermudan athletic performance academy. He was the founder.

2 years as a coach with the Spurs.

So... it seems with 6 years in the field, he has had 2 years in a profile position. I am also skeptical of his knowledge of sport-specific training given he's Bermudan, and has no experience at a high level with hockey players.

i agree. i have no idea why they are going with nba trainers. many of their trainers are overrated imo.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007

This is how I know you sit on the computer and probably have no experience or idea about sport performance at all. Seeing as I am a former CIS varsity athlete and currently work in the athletic department for my University, I can say with 100% certainty that you could not be more wrong. Many sports usually train very similarly to one another despite there being some differences. Also these guys are more than likely trained and knowledgeable about each sport. When they go to school to study for this field they don't specialize in one specific sport, they learn about effective programs for every major sport. It's their work and volunteer experience that determine any specialty they might have. Also most strength and conditioning coaches are multi-sport s and c coaches and could probably be hired by any major league sport.

Lion15

Apr 18, 2015
Kawartha Lakes
More likely a hire of Dr. Jeremy Bettle, the Leafs' Director of Sports Science & Performance.

Was just thinking this. I would assume based on the variance of sports he has been involved in that he is a master student of the profession and will eating and breathing hockey for as long as he's with the Leafs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad