Confirmed with Link: Leafs hire Guy Boucher and Mike Van Ryn as assistant coaches

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
I would lean more to Gruden as the Keefe replacement if it happens.

Using history as our teacher when Babcock was replaced we went to the Marlies for Keefe rather than Hakstol or MacFarland from the big team assistants.
Who was our GM? Who hired the Marlies coach at the time? Doubt it'll be a historical pattern

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
Guy Boucher is still relatively young for an NHL coach (52). I'm not interviewing him for this position with the Leafs but I'm wondering what he's been up to for the past 5 hockey seasons. That's a long time away from hockey. His first season in Tampa Bay and his first season in Ottawa were both big splashes. So was his first season in the AHL. Perhaps he brings in novel innovations then eventually the league adjusts.

I remember Mike Van Ryn as the oft-concussed salary dump in the Bryan McCabe deal with Florida. He was a talented defenseman but did not protect himself from the big forecheck hit. That Tom Kostopoulos hit was pretty much the end of his career.

Habs fan coming in peace lol

Boucher was on a show called ‘’On jase’’ on RDS during last season. Talking about systems, he was saying he was watching a lot of games, spoke about watching the leafs often, especially during playoffs. We know why now :laugh:

McSnypsky

Jun 22, 2019
This is what I remember of Van Ryn ;)

r6lT3l.gif

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Full circle for Guy Boucher. He was almost hired by the Leafs to be their head coach before Mike Babcock decided to sign with the Leafs. Now he's back as an assistant coach. I assume he'll be a contingency plan if Keefe can't get over the hump.

Van Ryn was an assistant coach for the Blues for the last 5 years. Not sure why he made the switch but he's well respected and has a cup ring.

I'm actually a bit surprised he agreed to the gig given how he got shunted aside for Babs. Apparently a couple days prior to the Babs announcement he was literally walking through the Leafs facilities commenting on areas he'd like to see physically renovated/changed

Reactions: SprDaVE

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

Toronto Maple Leafs Media Availability | Sheldon Keefe | July 20, 2023

July 20, 2023

Head Coach Sheldon Keefe speaks to the media about the signing of his new assistant coaches Mike Van Ryn and Guy Boucher on Thursday.

Reactions: Menzinger

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
He's never spent more than three years with any team, at any level. Tampa and Ottawa both made the conference finals in his first season, missed the playoffs in year two and fired him midway through year three. Great motivator, but struggles to maintain his initial success.
I am going to say the Ottawa fade was due to a talent deficit. Duchene and Stone thrived under him and Chabot had a breakout year and then he got fired. But Anderson finally hits his decline so no more hiding the holes. Tierney, Boedeker, Smith, White, Ryan, Paajarvi, Ceci, Lajoie. Way too many guys were playing too high up in the lineup. Once they dealt Karlsson it had to be pretty clear to the players they weren't concerned with winning any time soon. When your GM is handing you 36 year old Alex Burrows and Chris Didomenico what's your play? He is a mystery box to me but he has been to round #3 twice in six years so I feel pretty positive having him as an assistant.

Last edited:

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

July 20, 2023

Head Coach Sheldon Keefe speaks to the media about the signing of his new assistant coaches Mike Van Ryn and Guy Boucher on Thursday.

I'm happy with this .. Leafs get a guy with a NHL track record running the PP, who also makes a viable coaching replacement if Keefe falters. Happy with the PK results last year so not changing that too much is good.

Leafs were one of the best, if not the best, face-off team last year. Underrated around here. Like retaining Malholtra.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
It's become difficult to post Twitter links here recently but Marc Methot was really complimentary of Guy Boucher in a few posts today.

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto

July 20, 2023

Not gonna lie, it's pretty unreal that the Leafs employ Malhotra as an assistant coach whose focus is to run faceoffs lmao...best gig in sports.

1689259934961235.gif

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
So somehow the Assistant coach isn't good enough to help the Head coach avoid a bad enough losing streak. that the Head Coach gets fired, the Assistant Coach promoted, and then we are all good?

Fair enough.

Seems like sound logic.
Maybe the head coach will not listen to the assistant coach

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Toronto Maple Leafs hire Guy Boucher as Sheldon Keefe's replacement assistant coach.

I really like this hiring.

At minimal it's another all star assistant coach provided for Keefe. Someone good enough to be head coach of his own team. It's amazing all these accomplished individuals over the years and Keefe STILL can't win when it matters most.

He's the coach version of an ostrich: an animal so stupid it shoves its head in the sand and closes it's eyes to make itself invisible to predators.

If they flop again, I really hope Boucher is the next "first guy to get fired" behind the bench.

They should just make him head coach right now. Thirty two positions in the world and they're starting the year with Keefe again lol. I guess Shanahan must like losing.

Which is mindboggling considering the whole point of sports is to win.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Who use to run the PP? Boucher has big shoes to fill.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad