Leafs highest % of Canadian players.

frankthetank91

Jul 30, 2011
Honest post: I know were not tearing the league apart right now but we are still miles ahead this season and last season than we were a couple of years ago. Ironically 2 of our best players are American and they produce great talent and they are on the rise internationally but the ones Burke used to acquire were plugs with no heart. If were going to have plugs on the 4th line i'd rather it be Canadians or hometown players who will at least play with heart and balls to the walls.

catgoldfish

Nov 15, 2004
British Columbia
I remember discussing the Rask trade with my boss once. I thought we should keep him and Pogge and see who panned out. But my boss was like "Nah, it's all good, we kept the Canadian guy."

'nuff said.

JFJ blunder. I really don't think Rask would be as good as he is on the Leafs as he is with the Bruins. We play a different style of hockey called " leave the goalie to hang out a dry ". Or the no hustle team. Or were number one in shots given up team. With all the games we've played so far were actually lucky to be 7-4. Should be the other way around 4-7. But the goalies we have are great. It's the defense that now needs work. Maybe not so much changing the players but changing the style.

cynicism

Aug 13, 2008
RIP Burke's all-American team of baddies.

You are aware that Burke drafted more OHL players during his tenure than from every other junior league combined right?

Oh, sorry. Facts don't matter, you're in the Cherry zone.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Honest post: I know were not tearing the league apart right now but we are still miles ahead this season and last season than we were a couple of years ago. Ironically 2 of our best players are American and they produce great talent and they are on the rise internationally but the ones Burke used to acquire were plugs with no heart. If were going to have plugs on the 4th line i'd rather it be Canadians or hometown players who will at least play with heart and balls to the walls.

So, other than Connolly, who are those Americans with no hearts that Burke brought in?

Gardiner? I don't think so.
Komisarek? Maybe, but I don't think you can say he had no heart.
Liles? Possibly, but I wouldn't consider him such.
Mike Brown? Again, I don't think so.
Jerry D'Amigo? People seem happy with his development so far.

And Burke also brought in the following Canadians:

Joffrey Lupul
Morgan Rille
Dion Phaneuf
Cody Franson
Nazem Kadri
Tyler Bozak
and more

And there were also Canadians who didn't work out:

Armstrong
Lombardi
Versteeg
Beauchemin

We have to end this stupid bigotry.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Being Canadian born and playing for a Canadian team tosses Patriotism into the mix as an added motivation to desired success.

Everyone is imports into a foreign country with the main desire based on earning a living. Canadian pride not a factor in the equation for imports.

So its an added bonus based on birth certificate in that respect, and not disrespect of nationality.

I wish all Canadian teams had a large % of Canadian players as it would allow Canadian kids the opportunity to play in their home Countries and closer to friends and family.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Being Canadian born and playing for a Canadian team tosses Patriotism into the mix as an added motivation to desired success.

Everyone is imports into a foreign country with the main desire based on earning a living. Canadian pride not a factor in the equation for imports.

So its an added bonus based on birth certificate in that respect, and not disrespect of nationality.

I wish all Canadian teams had a large % of Canadian players as it would allow Canadian kids the opportunity to play in their home Countries and closer to friends and family.

I suppose that might be true if you look at the Leafs as representing Canada in some way. I think NHL teams represent their owners more than they represent any location.

Are you suggesting that Canadians who are playing for American teams aren't giving their all? Because it seems to me like you are.

I guess I don't see as big a difference between Canada and the US as you do and I feel that overall North America is not that big a place these days.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON

I suppose that might be true if you look at the Leafs as representing Canada in some way. I think NHL teams represent their owners more than they represent any location.

Are you suggesting that Canadians who are playing for American teams aren't giving their all? Because it seems to me like you are.

I guess I don't see as big a difference between Canada and the US as you do and I feel that overall North America is not that big a place these days.

duck

Jun 29, 2008
The Leafs, especially all of our Canadian players, have been playing with so much heart this season :sarcasm::sarcasm:

Also, if players wanted to represent their city, why do only a few, if any, of the Ontario natives return back to the Leafs?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad