Confirmed with Link: Leafs have signed Rich Clune to an NHL contract.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Rich Clune
LW | 5'10", 207 lbs. | Toronto
Birth Date:April 25, 1987 (28 years old)
Place of Birth:Toronto, Ont.
Shoots:L Experience:4 years
Drafted:Drafted by Dallas in 2005 (3/71)

SCOUTING REPORT
Assets: Works very hard every shift and provides energy and agitating qualities. Is physical and also boasts plenty of solid defensive prowess.

Flaws: Doesn't have a ton of offensive upside. Lacks ideal size and strength to handle big NHL defensemen and win battles (and fights) with consistency.

Career Potential: Rugged, energy depth forward.

http://forecaster.thehockeynews.com/hockeynews/hockey/player.php?5056

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
But then couldn't you say the same thing about how nobody wanted Clune either? I mean all 29 other teams had more than a fair opportunity to sign this guy to an NHL deal and didn't. You could argue that it was timing with Panik too; unless someone had a serious hole, they probably won't get picked up off waivers.

I just don't understand what the heck Babs is doing right now. It makes no sense, and it's clearly not producing results... not that I care, but I'd rather see us lose because we suck, not because the coach is doing weird stuff that may be making it worse. Other than injuries (which could have been someone we already had under contract) or the odd time we may need an enforcer in the lineup, I don't see the point of Clune.

On a side note, I see Pittsburgh considering claiming Arcobello. They could use some cheap depth. If Panik was waived right now, I'm pretty sure they would have claimed him.

you said you dont understand what Babcock is doing?

He is trying to establish an environment where work ethic is rewarded, for both skilled and bottom line players. Its a subtle message for some of the top line guys and rookies in the AHL , that work ethic is coveted.

leafers

Oct 2, 2006
This must be one of those 'tank' moves I keep reading about.

This is anti-tank if anything, replacing Arcobello with a hard working guy that will inject more energy will be more positive than anything Arcobello ever contributed with.

senor martinez

Komarov's cohonez
Oct 1, 2014
I guess they've decided that the team needs to be more physical. Clune has been one of the Marlies' best forwards this season.

Yes. And I don't understand why they didn't make it more physical from the get go?? We need hitters, fighters and people who do SOMETHING special. Anything. This is entertainment, sports will always be entertainment. From the gladiator times on and always will be. Clune is needed period. We need that presence and all.

We are now a tougher opponent to beat and we will make others pay more. Komarov and phaneuf can hit some, winnik can hit some, kadri rarely.... polak does his thing. There are some, but this was definitely needed I' am so glad now.

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
Paul Hendrick ‏@HennyTweets 59s60 seconds ago
Clune, Gauthier and Soshnikov line have combined for 13 pts in last 4 gms. Babcock talked about team need for toughness. Clune provides it.

Nice!!! I'm very happy to hear Gauthier is picking up a bit. Was starting to worry he was falling way behind.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I think someone should start a thread of all the pending UFA players and what returns they could net. Kind of like the prediction thread but with players being trade.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
So Babcock talked about the overall team need for toughness?

Good.

I like jam.

King85Kong

Playoffs?
Nov 24, 2013
Toronto
This season the team's depth is brutal, but the overall plan was pretty simple and they said that they don't want any kids near the team.

Ya. I understand that part. We might not be able to score goals, but we will hit the other team :hyper: Victory is ours!

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Might as well have him on the big club and let a young gun play his spot with the Marlies.

I guess he's pretty much Zach Sill 2.0.

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
- Insanely hard worker
- Been to hell and back, both in his career and in his personal life, and has actually fought back for his second chance in the NHL after 30 teams turned him down.
- Tough as nails pest who will drop the gloves
- Loves the Toronto Maple Leafs
- Don Cherry will love him!
- Funny social media accounts

He will be a fan favourite and a good character guy for a non-contender.

I'd add although he has a few screws loose, he's quite a loyal guy, pretty respectful and doesn't forget the people who really impacted his life. he's not arrogant at all and fairly down to earth.

TheOtherSide

Sep 8, 2008
Ontario
So Babcock and Lou couldn't have Jordin Tootoo so they decided to get a different former Nashville scrapper who is undersized for such a role?

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan
I just watched his after practice interview on the Leafs home page.

He seems really very relaxed in the interview. Seems like a really cool character - very very modest and easy going.

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
One of the last players to be cut from Leafs camp.. and one of the top pointmakers on the Marlies at the moment, so I am not surprised..

With Horton now on long-term IR (actually happily surprised about this, because I thought he was already off the Cap..).. and some other nice surprises happening on the Marlies right now.. I do think that Clune might also be up for grabs in a trade..., to acquire another good draft pick..

I do give him kudos though.. He's shook off al the demons.. and in the emantime, could be a good presence to have on our bench, for detering cheap shots against other Leafs.. Also, Dion will most likely have back-up now..

RICHARD CLUNE MONTAGE

Quares27

Apr 3, 2013
So they gave away prospects for free to open up roster spots that they eventually used on guys like Campbell and Clune after they realized there was no real productive use for that many open roster spots? what an awful attempt at strategy that was.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
So they gave away prospects for free to open up roster spots that they eventually used on guys like Campbell and Clune after they realized there was no real productive use for that many open roster spots? what an awful attempt at strategy that was.

I think they're currently at 49 NHL contracts because Nylander and Kaspanen are sliding. So they needed to make that deal or one like it regardless to clear contract space.

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
I think they're currently at 49 NHL contracts because Nylander and Kaspanen are sliding. So they needed to make that deal or one like it regardless to clear contract space.

Pretty sure those guys count if they're on the marlies. It's the Junior and Euro players that don't.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004

Their strategy was put in place for March 2nd, not October 30th.

Eddo22

Sep 22, 2015
One of the last players to be cut from Leafs camp.. and one of the top pointmakers on the Marlies at the moment, so I am not surprised..

With Horton now on long-term IR (actually happily surprised about this, because I thought he was already off the Cap..).. and some other nice surprises happening on the Marlies right now.. I do think that Clune might also be up for grabs in a trade..., to acquire another good draft pick..

I do give him kudos though.. He's shook off al the demons.. and in the emantime, could be a good presence to have on our bench, for detering cheap shots against other Leafs.. Also, Dion will most likely have back-up now..

RICHARD CLUNE MONTAGE

Thanks for the video Seer. It's a good one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad