Confirmed with Link: Leafs have re-signed Clifford to a 2 year extension and Dahlstrom to a 1 year 2-way extension

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
I hope Clifford gets a couple of games in at some point. He will primarily be a Marlie I imagine, but even just having him around can add a bit of attitude to the team.

All those who complain will be reminded of the Rangers game in which Leafs shrunk. Sometimes you need a physical threat just in case someone tries to make the YouTube highlight by taking liberties with your players.

Again, I don't make the rules and the league often seems uninterested in enforcing them.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
I assume Clifford takes over player-coach duties from Clune. As long as he's not taking ice time away from others I don't mind him sticking around.

Not sure what the point of re-signing Dahlstrom is though. 375k in the minors. Guess he wanted a payday and we obliged.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I assume Clifford takes over player-coach duties from Clune. As long as he's not taking ice time away from others I don't mind him sticking around.

Not sure what the point of re-signing Dahlstrom is though. 375k in the minors. Guess he wanted a payday and we obliged.

375k was this year. We don't know what he is making next year. Probably something similar or less.

And re-signing Dahlstrom makes a lot more sense than re-signing a cooked Clifford to a two-year, one-way deal. We only have Kral signed for next year, and I imagine we re-sign Rubins. If Dahlstrom left, we'd need a guy to be a good vet 3LD for the Marlies, and Dahlstrom is much better than a typical 3LD. Considering it is already looking like Hollowell will be the only returning RD next year, having 3 guys at LD who are already familiar with the system is going to be a big help.

Clifford should not be trusted to do more than replace Clune, who has been on an AHL deal for the last 6 years.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I hope Clifford gets a couple of games in at some point. He will primarily be a Marlie I imagine, but even just having him around can add a bit of attitude to the team.

All those who complain will be reminded of the Rangers game in which Leafs shrunk. Sometimes you need a physical threat just in case someone tries to make the YouTube highlight by taking liberties with your players.

Again, I don't make the rules and the league often seems uninterested in enforcing them.

You mean the Rangers game where both Clifford and Simmonds were dressed and did absolutely nothing except be complete liabilities? That Rangers game?

It is not even like the Rangers were taking liberties. Our defensemen, especially Biega, were taking forever to make basic decisions on defense and even the slow AF 4th line had enough time to get in on a forecheck. Sure, if you let the hulking 4th line get in on you because you are slow and stupid, then they are going to beat you. If you play with any kind of pace, they are a liability... Just like the Rangers made our slow AF 4th line a complete liability that game. And it is not that hard to play with pace against them.

Biega, deservedly, has not played an NHL game since.

budzz

History is just that.
Jan 26, 2015
Also a free veteran call-up if you're on a playoff run and get some injuries.

Reactions: uncleben

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
I don't mind Clifford. Seems like an ok veteran to have around for next couple seasons. I'm not a big fan but he provides size/jam at a cheap price. Leafs and the players loved him when he first got here, so I guess now they want him here longer.

Dahlstrom is just an AHL depth player. 9/10 on the depth chart. It's whatever.
Clune may be retiring, need playing assistant with Marlies.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Cliffy is a good re-sign at league minimum. Even if he plays a lot of that time for the Marlies.

Dahlstrom is good. If they were going to bring back one of them I would have stuck with Biega. But, Dalhstrom is a good player at the AHL level.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Good for Clifford , no one else was going to give him a league min salary , never mind for 2 yrs .

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Wait is the Clifford signing a one way deal or two way deal? If we can’t send him down to the Marlies without a cap penalty I don’t like it.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Wait is the Clifford signing a one way deal or two way deal? If we can’t send him down to the Marlies without a cap penalty I don’t like it.
He can be demoted without penalty due to his low salary. He just makes the same in either league

Reactions: Puckstuff

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
If we play Florida or canes then Cliffy will dress with Wayner

Don't want to sound too negative on such a nothing burger, but if I'm drawing any lessons from how the Leafs have been stocking up the 4th line andlower over the past few years, it would be that the face punchers and knuckle draggers probably should be in their mid to late 20s (barring unique cases like a Ryan Reaves).

Mature enough to know the role and healthy/energetic/motivated enough to run through a wall. Everyone loves Simmonds and he's done well in spurts, and Clifford is so far down the lineup that he won't really be a factor.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad