Confirmed with Link: Leafs have re-signed Clifford to a 2 year extension and Dahlstrom to a 1 year 2-way extension

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I don't mind Clifford. Seems like an ok veteran to have around for next couple seasons. I'm not a big fan but he provides size/jam at a cheap price. Leafs and the players loved him when he first got here, so I guess now they want him here longer.

Dahlstrom is just an AHL depth player. 9/10 on the depth chart. It's whatever.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
I imagine Clifford takes over Clune's role. Or at least resembles Clune's role on the marlies.

Saw this one coming the day he came back. He's like a version of Clune that's still viable NHL depth. Meh on ice impact, but great to have in the org.

Clune has been a solid soldier. He has done exceptionally well for his role. Its time to move on from both end. Wish him all the best

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
I'm getting the feeling Clifford is going to have a job with the organization after this. Its just a retirement contract at this point.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
I'm getting the feeling Clifford is going to have a job with the organization after this. Its just a retirement contract at this point.

That will most likely be Spezza. Clif is just vet presence for the Marlies

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
A bit surprised with this news at first glance. Not exactly a big deal though in the grand scheme of things. Dahlstrom will continue to be organizational depth with some previous NHL experience for the blueline and the AAV/cap hit on Clifford's contract is rather insignificant if the term proves to be at all problematic.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

He only just turned 31 years old. He's probably got plenty of gas left in the tank.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Nothing wrong with some depth on the Marlies.

Clifford may get a couple short callups, whatever, but keep him as a mentor and work ethic model for the young kids, not a bad thing

Dahlstrom currently leads the League in career GP without a goal.
I want him called up, just so he can crack that goose egg, haha

Reactions: Menzinger

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
How Clifford earns that kind of contract is beyond me. He was maybe worth an AHL contract like Clune, but even Clune has been better than him. I imagine Clune is ready to call it a career and Clifford takes his spot as the reserve grinder.

It is a waste of a contract spot and a lot of real money to spend on a guy like him, even if that does not really matter to the Leafs. He should not see another shift in an NHL uniform here, but in the end, it is the same thing as what we did with Gabriel except for 2 years and Gabriel was a much worse player.

I like the Dahlstrom re-signing. If he left, we would need a #3LD to replace him on the Marlies next year, and I doubt they would have been as good as Dahlstrom has been. Kral/Rubins/Dahlstrom is a strong LD crop for our top 6, and now we just need a new 4LD and a couple of RD.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad