Friedman: Leafs have checked in on McDonagh, Green, Glendening, Plekanec, Letestu

Jan 21, 2018
I'm curious, is Kapanen available, he's young fast and right handed

I'm more curious to know if JVR is available. I've never seen him included in any Leaf proposal. Bozak too. These types of players are almost as untouchable as Ryder + 2nd.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
no ofc not, I was just wondering in general how u guys value him, was I accurate in saying he's fast and someone who could chip goals in. semi-regularly ?
Oh my bad. Yeah he is probably the fastest player on the Leafs right now. The Leafs have groomed him into a player that can play up and down the lineup and he has actually been on our 2nd PK unit. He hasn't really gotten the opportunity to contribute offensively basically being stapled to the 4th line but the biggest thing he needs to do is shot the puck more. I would be pretty hesitant to part with him with the wingers we are losing next year he would play a big part in filling those holes. But if we are going for a big name it will end up having to be one of Liljegren or Kapanen going the other way.

McYoungGuns

Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton,Alberta
Hahaha what a dbag.
not to derail the thread but I think the pieces are actually all there for the Canucks, time is needed, with another piece added this offseason, I don't see much they're missing

Horvat as a 2 way 1c that I see putting up 60-70 points a year (I believe the most important player on the team)
Boeser top line sniper
Demko future number 1 goalie
Juolevi I believe will be a top pairing guy

young pieces like Peterssen ,Dahlen, Lind and whoever they draft
the team will be fine without the Sedins

McYoungGuns

Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton,Alberta
Oh my bad. Yeah he is probably the fastest player on the Leafs right now. The Leafs have groomed him into a player that can play up and down the lineup and he has actually been on our 2nd PK unit. He hasn't really gotten the opportunity to contribute offensively basically being stapled to the 4th line but the biggest thing he needs to do is shot the puck more. I would be pretty hesitant to part with him with the wingers we are losing next year he would play a big part in filling those holes. But if we are going for a big name it will end up having to be one of Liljegren or Kapanen going the other way.

Sounds like you guys have invested in him so he probably won't be moved for cheap, lol there goes that dream :D

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
thats understandable, KK was just someone I found interesting and wondered how he was valued within the leafs organization

Probably has more value than Brown to us....all-situations player, does everything well, has game-breaking speed, just needs a chance to play higher in the lineup. Only player of interest to us that is remotely practical is for Pujlu. I offered Brown/Kappy + 2nd for Pujlu and one Oiler fan said no to that, so that about does it in terms of interest...

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
I'm curious, is Kapanen available, he's young fast and right handed

Yes, but not for Letestu

If the Oilers want to part with Klefbom he would be in the deal I think.

Hes not going for a rental or anyone other then a top player. So McD, of those mentioned in this thread title.

The Leafs have let him ripen in the AHL and he is showing it was a good decision. He instantly took a spot on the our NHL PK and he creates his own offense (his linemates are blackholes). I expect he will top out as a middle 6 20g-15a~ guy.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
He literally said they looked into them.

I don't recall him saying that unless he mentioned it previous. I was watching Hockey Central this evening and the graphic was up showing the 3 centres noted and Friedman mentioned it was his own speculation seeing as Lou and the Leafs run a very tight ship and literally nothing gets out.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Because Cancucks SUCKED doesn't mean Leafs have to follow suit. Better ways of doing things instead of mortgaging future.

Sedins are still there LOL good luck building the future when they walk
Wha...?
How is selling future for competing the cup right now makes you sucked...
You do know that at some point a team has to trade for needs in order to win the cup, like you can draft your entire team..
And how is that any relevant to the Canucks...
What the....

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
Because Cancucks SUCKED doesn't mean Leafs have to follow suit. Better ways of doing things instead of mortgaging future.

I love when Leaf fans smack Canucks, Leafs traded 2 firsts for Kessel and "went for it", how did that end? About same time Canucks played for the cup... Until Leaf even have the chance to sniff at the final, you should just sit in a corner....

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I don't recall him saying that unless he mentioned it previous. I was watching Hockey Central this evening and the graphic was up showing the 3 centres noted and Friedman mentioned it was his own speculation seeing as Lou and the Leafs run a very tight ship and literally nothing gets out.

I don’t know what he said on HockeyCentral but before the Leafs game he was talking about the three centres and said “these are three guys the Leafs have checked in on”

Then Kyper said the Leafs are involved in McDonagh but would likely need to part with Liljegren, and mentioned the Leafs have looked at Green for a cheaper option.

BreakingGood

Jun 29, 2014
Have made clear in several threads I want no part of Glendening. Would love any of Green, Plekanec, or McDonagh (don't love the suggested price of McDonagh, since he's a lefty, but it's still Ryan McDonagh). Weird, because I watch tons of the Oilers, but I don't really have any strong read on Letestu.

member 105785

Canucks made it to G7 of the SCF, do you think I'd care if they sucked now if they won the cup in 2011? They lost and I still don't really care, I'd likely be angrier if they DIDN'T go all in while the Sedins were producing 100 points a season.

Also, thanks for the kind wishes about rebuilding! Hope you have a nice day :)

Edit: also in regards to mortgaging the future, since Gillis took over to the SCF appearance the Canucks kept their first in '08, and '09 while making the finals in the 2010-11 season, they also kept in '11, '12 and '13 while acquiring an additional top 10 pick in '13, not sure why you consider keeping 5/6 first round picks over a 6 year period while trading a goalie for an additional top 10 pick who is now the team's 1C to be mortgaging the future.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dangles McGavin

RIP Lounge
Jul 7, 2010
Seattle/Waterloo
no ofc not, I was just wondering in general how u guys value him, was I accurate in saying he's fast and someone who could chip goals in. semi-regularly ?

Fast and could chip in goals, for sure. He's got great edge work, gives 150% effort every shift, hits.. you name it. Really nice player. Unfortunately he's been on our fourth line this year, but I think most of us Leafs fans are expecting him to be JVR's replacement assuming he leaves.

My opinion is that he'll pot 20 goals next year while being a great 2-way player.

Reactions: ANDI P IS CUTE

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
I presume they're shopping Kapanen + for McDonagh.

Otherwise, Green and Glendening are good fits at a lower price.

Tbh, Kapanen is probably one of the best assets available to rebuilding teams atm. Kid will be a top-6 player in this league sooner than later.

Wonder if the leafs would consider Green and Glendenning for Kasperi Kapanen and a small add.

I hope not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad