Pre-Game Talk: Leafs @ Habs: Game 4: lets hear your game 4 lineup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashdown2

Aug 19, 2006
Look at the Habs goal. People blaming reilly, but it was Thornton who didn’t cover a pinching leafs dman. I’m pretty sure any other NHLer and all of our AHLers would have covered. He is losing more than just his feet and his hands. He can’t think the game at a high level.

u see what u want to see ... clearly ur wrong

mik and thonton were at the line trying to keep the puck in the zone. thats the only involvement thornton had on the play.

the puck gets through to suzuki BEFORE THE GODDAMN red line ....
he glides through no problem with reilly 15 feet away for no reason the whole way down the ice, all the way to the red dot. Considering the other player was being covered by the ther Dman that was the worst gap control i have seen all season long. reilly was on vacation on that play.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Look at the Habs goal. People blaming reilly, but it was Thornton who didn’t cover a pinching leafs dman. I’m pretty sure any other NHLer and all of our AHLers would have covered. He is losing more than just his feet and his hands. He can’t think the game at a high level.
Coverage was there by the time the Habs hit the redline. Rielly's poor gap allowed the shot and from a better spot than it should have been, but ultimately a goal Campbell likely wants back

Reactions: Ziggdiezan

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
So we have to keep playing them whether they are a liability or not? That makes no sense.

Right? I mean, I am a big fan of Joe but man he needs to step down. Maybe play him against slower teams but against the Habs he's too slow

Habs have no problem playing their rookies we should as well. Robertsson and Brooks should be given an opportunity
Look what it did for Engvall, he showed up. How do we know Brooks won't show up if we don't give them the right opportunities

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009

mik and thonton were at the line trying to keep the puck in the zone. thats the only involvement thornton had on the play.

he glides through no problem with reilly 15 feet away for no reason the whole way down the ice, all the way to the red dot. Considering the other player was being covered by the ther Dman that was the worst gap control i have seen all season long. reilly was on vacation on that play.

Even with poor play from Rielly and Joe, that goal shouldn't have gone in regardless. That's just a bad goal by Campbell.

Ashdown2

Aug 19, 2006
Even with poor play from Rielly and Joe, that goal shouldn't have gone in regardless. That's just a bad goal by Campbell.

its the exact same shot from the exact same spot connors scored on smith ...
goal scorers will score from that spot alot considering the space he was given. also on the off wing with more net opening up.

TheGreatOne11

Jun 29, 2009
Toronto
Carey is starting, so Jack has to.. right???

Please don't throw Freddy in there cold, this is a huge game.

Sit Jumbo and bring in Brooks.

This.

Huge game, everybody else has lived or died by their starter we should as well, so we can end them Thursday.

Also 100% on the resting Thornton bandwagon. The the guise of you're old you need to stay rested to help us in the long term, but really its because you're too slow and you're neutering Spezza offensively.

I like Keefe, but everytime i see Jumbo on the powerplay i want to bash my head into the tv.

Reactions: Rude Dog and Mats13

J1mLahey

Jan 13, 2011
Toronto
If you’re not going to sit Joe, please take him off PP1. This isn’t 2006 anymore he’s a detriment to the first unit. Hyman and Thornton don’t pose a threat to shoot on the PP, so the Habs can just seal the half walls and take Marners and Matthews space.

Brooks/ Robertson in for some fresh legs.

If Freddy starts tonight I’ll have the IPAs on ice

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004

No, that was a goal scorers goal... that shot goes in on pretty much any goalie from that spot, as clean as the shot/look were.
Watch Suzuki's PP goals from the circle area, that is his sweet spot, and where he scores the many of his goals from.
You cannot give shooters time and space to shoot... imagine Matthews with that much time and space, same result most of the time.

Reactions: Kurtz

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Start Campbell tonight and then tell him to not show up at the rink again till Thursday night. He doesn't need to skate during practice or morning skate.

Buzzman17

Apr 13, 2017

I don’t think I’m wrong. Have you played high level hockey? Thornton’s only job was to cover right dman and Mikeyhev. And he stood there doing nothing. I agree Reilly had bad gap coverage but it started with Joe standing still and not getting on the right side of the puck.

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
...and Price looked like poop in his 1/2 game start vs the Marlies, you have a better point to make about meaningless games?

Those three games shouldn't have been meaningless to Andy. He played them like he played all year. I am a big Andy supporter, but his decision to delay his return (warranted or not) until the very last minute painted the Leaf brass into a corner. Jack has been as advertised. For a team that hasn't won a series in a long time, you simply can't let up now unless Jack is hurting. Andy likely won't be back with the Leafs next year, so they owe him nothing. He has been great over the years, but I heard that Leafs management was frustrated with him last season when he refused to play even after being cleared by the medical staff. That is why there were whispers of moving on from him last summer. Jack is their goalie moving forward. Ride him until his play suggests otherwise or he says he needs a day off.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Who ever gets the call in net tonight, I'll be happy with as I have unwavering trust in this coach, medical staff, psychologists, and whoever else makes the decision. They know Campbell better than anyone here and if they don't think it's wise to start him, then I'm going to agree. Call me a homer, but we have 10's of millions of dollars worth of brains making this choice. They'd better nail it.

Reactions: Vaive50

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Can we just give up on Robertson coming in for Thornton?

If Thornton comes out it will be for Nash (if Foligno's in) or Brooks (if Foligno's out)

Always add Centre depth before a small teenage winger who hasn't played in over a month

Reactions: bax

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
its the exact same shot from the exact same spot connors scored on smith ...
goal scorers will score from that spot alot considering the space he was given. also on the off wing with more net opening up.
One big difference is the handedness. Suzuki being a righty in the right makes it a much weaker goal, though neither were good

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
Still, it was a flawed strategy that almost bit us in the ass.

The best way to defend a lead is to keep possession, which is what got us the lead in the first place.
I like the strategy with 10 mins left, not a full period. It was obvious what their plan was on the first shift of the third.

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
I don’t think I’m wrong. Have you played high level hockey? Thornton’s only job was to cover right dman and Mikeyhev. And he stood there doing nothing. I agree Reilly had bad gap coverage but it started with Joe standing still and not getting on the right side of the puck.

It's depressing to see Joe out there on the PP based on his reputation, rather than current skill set. It's moreso depressing to see how inept he is at a standstill leaving his teammates out to dry on the back check. This is the second time I've seen him flat-footed and/or plain gassed-out when the rush is going the other way.

The last time was the Byron shorty and we know how that turned out as well.

He needs a rest and be a good vet when he's in the lineup with very limited minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad