GDT: Leafs @ Flames, 18-Jan-2024 @ 7:00, Sportsnet

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
This is looking like a tilted game

Night all, an early day tomorrow. Vlad was the main reason this was even close.

Put it behind us quickly and get ready for the next.

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
I think this team has played admirably for a good bit now

But i dread anytime we have the empty net or are in a shootout.

They haven't generated much during 6v5 play, it's like they're playing in slow motion with nearly everyone standing still. They are more often than not defending the empty net. Even the power play is noticeably better.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Just got back from the game, missed most of the 1st because shitty ghetto ass Calgary transit broke down on their one LRT line. Just "the train is broken, everybody out", not how long it'll take to fix or if there's another one coming or any of that. Had to walk 12 blocks in the cold instead.

Flames and getting f***ed in the ass by the referees, a real classic duo. Not the worst I've seen, but it would be nice to occasionally come out on the right side of the officiating. Always against the Leafs too 🤔Still not sure how Greer got called for getting shoved into the Leaf bench. Don't think the dome ever even showed a replay on what happened on the Zary goal, really not sure how that is logically qualified as a 'hand pass' but the NHL should look at improving that rule.

Thought both teams played pretty well, not the most well executed game but both sides were on their toes. The refs sucked but the primary reason the Flames lost this game, just as they've lost many many before it was because they do not have an Auston Matthews type player down the middle. Lindholm is a good player and I like him a lot but he ain't that. I am actually liking the team this year and think there's a lot there for Conroy to work with but a big 200ft do it all 1C that can skate is a must have piece in my mind. You get those in the draft, or you trade a bunch of BS like Vegas did for Jack Eichel.

hope Pospisil isn't done for the season, but my hopes aren't high. That looked ugly.

Last edited:

joescores

Mar 21, 2011
Just got back from the game, missed most of the 1st because shitty ghetto ass Calgary transit broke down on their one LRT line. Just "the train is broken, everybody out", not how long it'll take to fix or if there's another one coming or any of that. Had to walk 12 blocks in the cold instead.

Flames and getting f***ed in the ass by the referees, a real classic duo. Not the worst I've seen, but it would be nice to occasionally come out on the right side of the officiating. Always against the Leafs too 🤔Still not sure how Greer got called for getting shoved into the Leaf bench. Don't think the dome ever even showed a replay on what happened on the Zary goal, really not sure how that is logically qualified as a 'hand pass' but the NHL should look at improving that rule.

Thought both teams played pretty well, not the most well executed game from either side but both sides were on their toes. The refs sucked but the primary reason the Flames lost this game, just as they've lost many many before it was because they do not have an Auston Matthews type player down the middle. Lindholm is a good player and I like him a lot but he ain't that. I am actually liking the team a lot this year and think there's a lot there for Conroy to work with but a big 200ft do it all 1C is a must have piece in my mind. You get those in the draft, or you trade a bunch of BS like Vegas did for Jack Eichel.

hope Pospisil isn't done for the season, but my hopes aren't high. That looked ugly.
Thanks for your eloquent evaluation as always mate. What happened to Martin FFS? Hope your toes didn't stay in the boots!

Reactions: Tofveve

deleted user

Sponsor
Dec 16, 2019
Thanks for your eloquent evaluation as always mate. What happened to Martin FFS? Hope your toes didn't stay in the boots!
His skate awkwardly caught Matthews skate.. he went down, and iirc, he slammed into the boards. He was in immediate pain and couldn't move very well at all. They had to help him off the ice and the look on the guys face said it all. Pain pain pain. Definitely not expecting to see him back anytime soon. Hopefully that isn't the case.

There it is. Good lord.

Reactions: Tofveve and Felidae

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
It sounds like Pospisil will only be week to week, I thought he was done done for the year.
Excited to see if they bring up Coronato.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
His skate awkwardly caught Matthews skate.. he went down, and iirc, he slammed into the boards. He was in immediate pain and couldn't move very well at all. They had to help him off the ice and the look on the guys face said it all. Pain pain pain. Definitely not expecting to see him back anytime soon. Hopefully that isn't the case.

There it is. Good lord.

I initially thought he was tripped by Matthews. Confirmed clear as day by the slow motion replay.

No penalty, very likely no supplemental review because "muh starz" are more important than player safety.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I have calmed down from last night and can embrace this loss as some kind of positive I guess.

This team isn't able to get to the bottom of the standings, and that's a good thing ultimately, because building from true rock bottom has very little chance of working out smoothly.

But my best case scenario is that we hover at one or two games over .500 and ensure that Conny can comfortably be a seller at the deadline, and then have another injection of youth that leads to a Nashville-esque "why do they keep winning?" run to the playoffs.

I am happy with walking into this draft with 2-3 middling firsts and a team that feels positive going into next year.

joescores

Mar 21, 2011
It sounds like Pospisil will only be week to week, I thought he was done done for the year.
Excited to see if they bring up Coronato.
This confirmed?

There it is. Good lord.

Appreciate your eloquent response mate, it looks horrific. Poor Martin, having such shitty luck with head injuries.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad