Status
Not open for further replies.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
What a horribly apologetic post.

Let's deal with reality:

ACs didn't sign here, because it's Toronto.

If Toronto wanted another coach, they would have gone after another coach. They believe (embarrasingly enough), that Randy is a great coach.

That's all this is - a gross miscalculation of one coach's abilities, and yet another reminder of how horrendous a market this is to play in.

Right... :rolleyes:

So we'll never be getting assistants ever again by that faulty logic. Have what ever opinion you want on RC, But the fact of the matter is he had a job waiting for him in Florida by more than few reports; Which says he is still thought of fairly well in hockey circles. So when targets #1 and #2 did not come available(or don't want to move yet), They decided there could be worse options in what could be another transition year anyway.

I don't see how viewing this way is apologetic. If the guy want isn't there, Then wait.

The bi-product of that though is the situation with the assistants now and the uncertainty if they'll be there if there's a new head coach next season. Not that it's a "horrendous" hockey market or whatever BS you've convince your self of.

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
an increasingly common defence of the Leafs these days goes something like, don't worry Carlyle is going to get fired after this year and then things will improve.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON

So we'll never be getting assistants ever again by that faulty logic. Have what ever opinion you want on RC, But the fact of the matter is he had a job waiting for him in Florida by more than few reports; Which says he is still thought of fairly well in hockey circles. So when targets #1 and #2 did not come available(or don't want to move yet), They decided there could be worse options in what could be another transition year anyway.

I don't see how viewing this way is apologetic. If the guy want isn't there, Then wait.

The bi-product of that though is the situation with the assistants now and the uncertainty if they'll be there if there's a new head coach next season. Not that it's a "horrendous" hockey market or whatever BS you've convince your self of.

The Leafs have been in transition for 10 years.

TheLeafsBro

Mar 14, 2014
London, ON
I do think Spott would be a good assistant to Carlyle. Someone who can bounce ideas to him and help him evolve as a coach (which he has essentially been told by management he must do). He's someone who could possibly replace him as an interim coach if things go bad and then resume as assistant coach the following year with a replacement that better suits Shanahan (obviously Babcock would be the dream).

Shanahan has made it abundantly clear that promoting from within and building from within is a major priority and this is the start of that. Just like he's said he's purposely leaving spots open on the roster for Marlies to step into he's giving the same opportunity to the Marlies coaches and I'm fine with that.

I think ultimately Carlyle will not see us through to the Playoffs but we'll have given our Marlies ACs valuable experience they could carry through to working with the next coach.

The reality is too much is made of our hiring of ACs at the moment. The focus should not be taken off of Carlyle. The ACs will be brought in to help him but this is solely his project and the changes have to come from within himself and his system. If not, it certainly won't be our ACs taking the hit.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK

Right.

So Gorges choosing to add the worst team in hockey onto his NTC list just so that he avoids Toronto isn't a reflection of this market and team?

And self-professed Leafs fan and good old Ontario boy choosing to take 600k more to leave town for Florida instead of staying put isn't a reflection of this market and team?

AND assistant coaches choosing not to come to Toronto isn't a reflection of this market and team either?

Sorry - of course, of course; Toronto is the center of the hockey universe and everybody would give up millions and a few limbs to player here.

I did get a good chuckle out of you using Florida's interest in Carlyle as a measure of his value. Because, well, it's Florida and they've made a ton of great decisions pertaining to their team haven't they? :laugh:

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
If they're not bringing in someone for system work and are "relying on Carlyle" to make the adjustments: Be prepared for a massive failure lol.

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
even if they did bring someone in for system work, are they going to overrule carlyle? that's why this whole thing is so stupid

Well they forced him to fire Dave Farrish, who is Carlyle's best friend. Shanahan spoke about how Carlyle's "Swarm" system does not work in the NHL any more.

So, yea I thought they might be keeping him with the understanding that they'd bring in someone to help structure a functioning/logical system.

I was even hoping that they'd try to mimic Chicago's system.

Clearly none of this will happen lol.

Mansfield

possession obsession
Apr 4, 2011
Ontario, Canada
if Carlyle's systems are broken, carlyle should be fired. end of story. guy is notoriously stubborn. i can't see any assistants changing that

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008
even if they did bring someone in for system work, are they going to overrule carlyle? that's why this whole thing is so stupid
It doesn't make sense unless there's stipulation of change in form of Carlyle's tactics behind the bench
Well they forced him to fire Dave Farrish, who is Carlyle's best friend. Shanahan spoke about how Carlyle's "Swarm" system does not work in the NHL any more.

So, yea I thought they might be keeping him with the understanding that they'd bring in someone to help structure a functioning/logical system.

I was even hoping that they'd try to mimic Chicago's system.

Clearly none of this will happen lol.
The only logical thing I could think of is the meetings Carlyle had with Shanahan and Nonis was about him changing and evolving as a coach see how that stands with Carlyle. Suddenly Carlyle is talking about using his PMD more in bigger roles, him talking about youth when he was about the NHL isn't a development league that's not a coincidence. It's not what Carlyle would say unless he's changing. Management have even said that they're expecting a 4th line to play between 8-12 minutes a game.That's not a Carlyle way of things ever as a head coach which speaks that the micromanaged bench will take a back seat and we'll see more of lines rolling that should help from that rope & dope hockey. Play with more flow in sustaining momentum into playing more in the offensive zone that was the REAL ISSUE WITH THIS TEAM.
IMO it feels like management found the guy they wanted wasn't available which is why the decision on Carlyle took so long so they're giving Carlyle the chance to change. The assistance bit the bullet to give a sense of change for the players that was clearly needed.

This is Shanahan moves something Nonis knows very little of cause it comes from a players perspective. Playing under a micromanaging coach is no fun and can be extremely frustrating if your not one of his toys. Nonis would never get in the way of the coach. Shanahan would cause it comes from experience. Carlyle needed the axe or a boss come down on him to change.

I'm skeptical to say the least. One thing I do know is if Carlyle doesn't change his ways we're not going to see an improvement from the rope & dope hockey.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
what on earth are you talking about?

the Marlies - were the youngest team in the AHL - and one of the best defensively.
the Leafs: sucked defensively.

So if spott is an assistant - and is charged to fix the defense (the same guy who flat out said after one game that the Marlies were hammmered on shots again - that was not acceptable, and they willl be having a meeting about it) ergo - not employing the same crap that Randy was doing, as well knowledgeable about the young kids coming up -

culture. change. not same ole same ole or the same system.
We had Spott here in Kitchener. His D was always porous. All had the green light and the goalies paid the price. He played all the vets and really never developed younger players. Most fans where relieved when he moved on. Hope he does better with the Leafs.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
It would be like burger boy gets promoted to CEO of McDonalds

I strongly disagree to this.

Marlies coaches have been successful in implementing a system that has resulted in strong results on the ice. The coaching staff, if promoted, will have a strong understanding of our prospects and their game. It will be an easier transition. I fully expect King and Dineen to get the promotion, with Spott soon to follow after Carlyle leaves, whenever that may be.

mikebel111*

We had Spott here in Kitchener. His D was always porous. All had the green light and the goalies paid the price. He played all the vets and really never developed younger players. Most fans where relieved when he moved on. Hope he does better with the Leafs.

much better coach here.

Tyler Biggs*

Smart move, if the Leafs management team is serious about developing the Marlies and young players as a whole, who better to do so than the people that coached them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad