Leafs expected to look to Marlies for new assistant coaches

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=456870

It appears as if the Toronto Maple Leafs did not have to look too far to find Randy Carlyle's new assistant coaches.

Speaking Thursday on TSN 1050, Steve Simmons of Sun Media and TSN's The Reporters, said a decision on the Leafs coaching staff is expected to be made next week, with Steve Spott, Derek King and Gord Dineen – all currently employed behind the bench by the Toronto Marlies – as the leading candidates.

“All of the promotions will be from within the organization,†Simmons said. “I believe two of them will come from that group of three.â€

Despite rumours of major changes following the Leafs' late-season collapse, that were thought to be reinforced by Tim Leiweke's promise of a culture change within the organization, it seems as if the current management team of Brendan Shanahan and Dave Nonis are focused on tweaking the team's roster as opposed to a major overhaul.

Thus far in the off-season, Nonis has made only depth signings, keeping his core group of players intact.

According to Simmons, the Leafs are putting the focus on Carlyle to make the adjustments himself, as opposed to having the new assistants force it upon him.

http://iphone.tsn.ca/tsnpodcasts/MC_SteveSimmons_July10.mp3

TSN 1050: Macko & Cauz: July 10 - Steve Simmons

‎July-‎10-‎14, ‏‎10:47:38 AM

Dangles McGavin

RIP Lounge
Jul 7, 2010
Seattle/Waterloo
Really though; why would ANYBODY else sign here as an assistant? The only people who don't know that Carlyle's as good as gone are Carlyle and... Hell, probably Nonis.

I really like Steve Spott. I'd like him to stay with the Marlies for now... Keep our shiny toys away from Carlyle.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
this is how i see it going (for everything):

Nonis and Carlyle are getting fired. if we're bad (and not competing) it's going to be earlier than later, but they're gone. My personal theory is Shanahan is learning the job without the pressure of having to be the GM. learn, grow, what the job entails. Ditches those two, goes off for Babs (or someone reallllly good). Maybe hire Blake or someone else whose been learning/training.

Babs-Kevin Dineen-Someone else (Leafs)
Spott-Gord-(hot shot CHL coach) (Marlies)

woila.

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
Kinda stinks that were sending them onto the front line so soon, especially when Carlyle's time is numbered. I hope their not let go when carlyle's eventually fired.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
I like this move. It paves the way for Steve Spott to join them after Carlyle is fired, whenever that is.

I also think this wasn't their first choice and just a fall back option. Lucky for them, I think the fall back option should have been their first choice all along.

The Marlies play a style the Leafs should play.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
The big change in culture, is promoting guys from within the organization that tried to employ the same style of hockey as the big team.

So much for new ideas and fresh perspective around Randy.

Yet another example of this team just falling flat on it's face.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I've been speculating this would happen as well and I'm more then fine with it.

Dineen and King have worked with a chunk of the roster over their 6 years with the Marlies at some point. Familiarity could be good. Also gives Spott a chance to hire his own coaches with the Marlies.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
The big change in culture, is promoting guys from within the organization that tried to employ the same style of hockey as the big team.

So much for new ideas and fresh perspective around Randy.

Yet another example of this team just falling flat on it's face.

what on earth are you talking about?

the Marlies - were the youngest team in the AHL - and one of the best defensively.
the Leafs: sucked defensively.

So if spott is an assistant - and is charged to fix the defense (the same guy who flat out said after one game that the Marlies were hammmered on shots again - that was not acceptable, and they willl be having a meeting about it) ergo - not employing the same crap that Randy was doing, as well knowledgeable about the young kids coming up -

culture. change. not same ole same ole or the same system.

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland

the Marlies - were the youngest team in the AHL - and one of the best defensively.

So if spott is an assistant - and is charged to fix the defense (the same guy who flat out said after one game that the Marlies were hammmered on shots again - that was not acceptable, and they willl be having a meeting about it) ergo - not employing the same crap that Randy was doing, as well knowledgeable about the young kids coming up -

you think that the Leafs are relying on an assistant coach to come in and make sure that the head coach doesn't coach the same way he's always coached? and you're optimistic about that plan?

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
I liked this quote from http://mapleleafshotstove.com/2014/07/10/maple-leafs-assistant-coach-announcement-to-come-next-week/ announcing the same kind of thing:

Interestingly, if Kevin (not Gord) Dineen is still in the mix — Team Canada women’s coach, former Panthers head coach coach, worked with Randy Carlyle in Anaheim – perhaps he would bring some fresh perspective as well as a coach with some HC experience should Carlyle be fired during the season. There was an under the radar interview with Dineen during the season last year on TSN1050 in which Dineen said:

I go back to my time, I worked with Randy in Anaheim, I was coaching Portland, while he was at head coach in Anaheim for the Ducks. And we always tried to mimic or mirror with the Ducks were doing is a system.. You know, sometimes it would be playing a defensive style, and I was like: “you have Pronger, and Niedermayer, and Beauchemin holding the fort.” You can sit there and you can do that. Sometimes it’s based on personnel. And my feelings that you work with what you have.
So, I’m not avoiding the question; when I think of Toronto, I think of high-end skilled, offensive forwards, I don’t look at them as a strong — I don’t think about them about their defense. Other than If I was coaching against them, I think that’s an area I would try and exploit.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
you think that the Leafs are relying on an assistant coach to come in and make sure that the head coach doesn't coach the same way he's always coached? and you're optimistic about that plan?

i am thinking that the Leafs are eliminating all of Carlyle's toys away, and bringing up different options to play with the youth and systems. we'll see what happens. i'm sorry if i'm not going to be all "boo" it still stinks and no one played anything yet.

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
i am thinking that the Leafs are eliminating all of Carlyle's toys away, and bringing up different options to play with the youth and systems. we'll see what happens. i'm sorry if i'm not going to be all "boo" it still stinks and no one played anything yet.

i mean you're the one who is calling Carlyle a bad coach. so i don't understand why you would be optimistic about the fact that he will potentially not be allowed to coach how he wants.

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
the bad news is Carlyle is still the Leafs' coach the great news is that a guy who will likely be ~10 years younger with a fraction of Calyle's experience at the NHL level is going to make sure Carlyle doesn't coach how he wants to coach

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
The entire line of thinking is purely goofy. Why don't they hire a guy to basically hold a gun to Carlyle the entire night? Seems remarkably stupid to do everything you can to make a coach not do anything he wants instead of just putting someone in place who wants to do what you want. If they think the Marlies coaching staff is so good then fire Carlyle and put Spott in charge.

Seems like they had to fall on a backup plan because they didn't consider the obvious that no one is going to want to walk into this situation with a coach prepped to be fired at any moment.

Not that assistants were ever going to fix this coaching situation, but pretty comical that the Leafs can't even attract assistant coaches that aren't already under contract.

Last edited:

Kubus

Jun 22, 2014
So I guess I'm not getting the job. :cry:

For everyone saying they expect Nonis gone, I actually don't. I think Nonis is a good second in command. I believe the major decisions are now made by Shanahan with Nonis taking care of the day to day things, and negotiations. It's not to say that Nonis does nothing, but I think the long term picture is being drawn by Shanahan, and Nonis works within the confines set out for him.

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
Really though; why would ANYBODY else sign here as an assistant? The only people who don't know that Carlyle's as good as gone are Carlyle and... Hell, probably Nonis.

I really like Steve Spott. I'd like him to stay with the Marlies for now... Keep our shiny toys away from Carlyle.

Correct, it would better for Spotts career to remain a head coach rather than an asst. in the nhl.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
My disappointment with this Leafs assistant coach fiasco is two-fold:

1 - Simply promoting guys from within the organization doesn't exactly scream culture change. Carlyle without a fresh set of ideas is the Randy Carlyle from last year, which is a disaster.

2 - Carlyle won't survive this season. I firmly believe that this team is just as bad as it was last year. When the coach is gone, who gets the job? Would have been nice to put someone on that bench that could simply move up from the assistant position to the head coach position. (might be too big a jump for Spott right now).

Correct, it would better for Spotts career to remain a head coach rather than an asst. in the nhl.

Not really sure about that.

Things could change pretty quickly if, say, Carlyle doesn't survive this season and Spott gets the job on an interim basis. That would do his stock around the league a world of good.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK

The Marlies played a similar system to the Leafs. Spott refusing to play Orr & FML has led people to believe that it was some revolutionary different system, but it wasn't. Their defensive zone assignments, their neutral zone, and their forechecking were all very similar to the Leafs.

He won't be bringing any fresh ideas to the table.

And if you are relying on an assistant coach to fix an extremely flawed system, instead of the coach, then you might as well wave the white towel now - which is what this organization is going to be doing soon

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
I don't see what issue is, It's quite clear that RC wasn't option number 1; And it seems like they wanted Babcock or McClellan. Knowing the way Leiweke likes to hunt the big names down probably the former more so than the latter.

So getting assistants to pretty much coach for a year was always going to be hard to find cause they could be out of work again next year when the new guys brings his own people in.

EastVan

Jun 25, 2014
I wish we could be the type of organization that attracts higher profile players and coaches. This summer has shown that we have a long way to go in that department.

Hopefully some of the moves that we have made will point us in the right direction. Have to admit it is hard to sense any sort of massive culture change taking place here.

I guess I need to be more patient or something.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I don't see what issue is, It's quite clear that RC wasn't option number 1; And it seems like they wanted Babcock or McClellan. Knowing the way Leiweke likes to hunt the big names down probably the former more so than the latter.

So getting assistants to pretty much coach for a year was always going to be hard to find cause they could be out of work again next year when the new guys brings his own people in.

What a horribly apologetic post.

Let's deal with reality:

ACs didn't sign here, because it's Toronto.

If Toronto wanted another coach, they would have gone after another coach. They believe (embarrasingly enough), that Randy is a great coach.

That's all this is - a gross miscalculation of one coach's abilities, and yet another reminder of how horrendous a market this is to play in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad