Post-Game Talk: Leafs embarrass the pens and dubas, shut them down. WIN 7-0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
None of those players were on the list that you replied to.
Sorry, I didn't intend to respond to a list of players. I was just saying that his biggest impact will be the patience he displayed in not trading this team's best players after playoff losses when virtually the entire fanbase and media called for it.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
What does this even mean? Pittsburgh finished last that season and it was Washington that won the draft lottery to take the first overall pick. And how were they gifted Letang when they picked him in the third round? I always find it so strange when people say that the league favours certain teams. The league favours Pittsburgh, yet it allow the franchise to file for bankruptcy...twice? Using any rational, objective measures, if the NHL was to favour any team, it would be Toronto and the Rangers, its two most valuable franchises.
IIRC Pens won the "special" Sid draft sweepstakes after the lockout.
1702923993825.png

* In 2003, the Pittsburgh Penguins obtained the Florida Panthers' pick in a trade. The Penguins selected G Marc-Andre Fleury first overall.

Reactions: egd27

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
IIRC Pens won the "special" Sid draft sweepstakes after the lockout.
View attachment 785750

* In 2003, the Pittsburgh Penguins obtained the Florida Panthers' pick in a trade. The Penguins selected G Marc-Andre Fleury first overall.
Yes, they did, but the idea that the league cared where Crosby went, to the point of "rigging" it, is dumb. Or did the league also rig it the year prior to ensure that Washington got Ovechkin instead of Pittsburgh, even though Pittsburgh finished last overall that year? The truth is that people love to whine about Pittsburgh because that team won...a lot. Same reason that people whine about Tampa. It's what society does to winners when we deem them to have won too much. Up on that pedestal, and then back down again.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Yes, they did, but the idea that the league cared where Crosby went, to the point of "rigging" it, is dumb. Or did the league also rig it the year prior to ensure that Washington got Ovechkin instead of Pittsburgh, even though Pittsburgh finished last overall that year? The truth is that people love to whine about Pittsburgh because that team won...a lot. Same reason that people whine about Tampa. It's what society does to winners when we deem them to have won too much. Up on that pedestal, and then back down again.
Yeah you are always going to hear rigging theories. The NBA supposedly rigged the lottery so the Knicks could get Ewing. I would not put anything past the people who run both leagues but not going to whine about. It is too bad the NHL did not rig the McDavid draft so we could get him.

Oh yeah, some people think last year's draft was rigged so Berard could land in a big US market.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Sorry, I didn't intend to respond to a list of players. I was just saying that his biggest impact will be the patience he displayed in not trading this team's best players after playoff losses when virtually the entire fanbase and media called for it.
Not listening to the fans is something all GM's would employ, not something that needs to be seen as an accomplishment, IMO.

(I don't think the 'entire fanbase' thought that anyway, I don't think even the majority thought that way.)

bax

Mar 4, 2011
Canada
I think this is easy: patience. Patience in not trading away some or all of the team's best players when 99% of the fanbase was hollering for it. He will be proven right as things play themselves out.

Serious progress?
99 percent?

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
I think this is easy: patience. Patience in not trading away some or all of the team's best players when 99% of the fanbase was hollering for it. He will be proven right as things play themselves out.
That's faulty, whose to say we wouldn't have already won several cups if we went a different direction?

Anyways both GMs chose to keep the core Lou built. Dubie did a bad job of it (contracts) and partly why he was unable to build around them. Now Tre is trying - having a good go at it so far in spite of the mistakes made.

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
Has anyone done wellness checks on the Dubists, awfully quiet?

Jonas if you're reading, it gets easier over time. Give it a few years bruh.

They've gotten strategic. Look closely and you'll see the early comparisons being drawn between potential trade targets and Dubas acquisitions (and ofc how the latter are so much better than the former.)

Reactions: DarkKnight

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Yeah you are always going to hear rigging theories. The NBA supposedly rigged the lottery so the Knicks could get Ewing. I would not put anything past the people who run both leagues but not going to whine about. It is too bad the NHL did not rig the McDavid draft so we could get him.

Oh yeah, some people think last year's draft was rigged so Berard could land in a big US market.
Really too bad they couldn't rig the McDavid draft so he didn't end up in Edmonton.

Reactions: ToneDog and Jmo89

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix

If the NHL wanted to rig, than Matthews would be in Arizona right now, definitely not Toronto

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Same reason that people whine about Tampa. It's what society does to winners when we deem them to have won too much
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't you have issues about vegas getting preferential treatment in regard to cap circumvention last playoffs?

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

The players making more than 6.8mm a year.

All of those guys have been trade targets.

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
What was Dubas's?

We'll have to wait a few months and see.
Asking about our current GM. Not a former GM. Let's hear about this resilient playoff team he's built.

It's one thing to obsess over a former GM. But to prop up someone who's been as incompetent as Treliving to attempt to prove your point is comical.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
It was nice meeting you there.

:sarcasm:

What is the lasting impact from Dubas?

Seriously, asking.

All teams have prospects and players acquired by their GM's/staff.

Leafs appear to have some nice futures.
How those futures play out should be the determining factors.
Knies, Hildeby, Grebyonkin, Minten, Cowan ... is that it?
I'm referring to possible impact players.
Cowan belongs to Tre just like Sadin/Durzi belong to Dubas

his lasting impact , good question . not much which is pathetic after 5 yrs

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Cowan belongs to Tre just like Sadin/Durzi belong to Dubas

his lasting impact , good question . not much which is pathetic after 5 yrs

Wasn't aware Dubas was restricted from being involved in the 2018 draft as he was already an employee.

Treliving was not permitted to be involved until after the 1st. round.

Regardless, the scouting staff do all the prep, GM probably only greenlights the pick.

Yeah, surprisingly very little progress made with regards to post season success.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad