Post-Game Talk: Leafs don't show up in Annapolis

Status
Not open for further replies.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
nah. the Zaitsev contract might be
I think Zaitsev deserves until around next year Trade deadline to judge where he is at. That is almost 3 seasons of play with time to work out his mental breakdowns and become fully accustomed to north american game. We gave Andersen time after his disastrous start in 16/17. He ended up being amazing. It's nearly impossible for Zaitsev to be overpaid if he gets back to his earlier season form. He makes 4.5 million which is very good if he can become a 3/4. Right now he's playing like a bottom pairing defender. He deserves some leniency, with the injury, and kid. I mean rielly this season and last is night and day. Rielly pre-injury to know is also a big gap. Injuries can be nagging and slow down a players game. I suspect Zaitsev returns to being a 22-minute defender who is good at transitioning the puck and being physical, along with giving 25-30 points. I think he rebounds next season. I would be more worried about Marleau. He really looks horrible a lot of time on the ice. Looks so passive and disengaged at times. I think signing him was a mistake.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Ahh that's right totally forgot about that one. Well, I guess that could have happened to Marner too but something tells me That Crosby injury had nothing to do with playing outside. If the same thing happened to him indoors he probably would have suffered the same injury. The outdoor games seem just as safe as the indoor games

Different boards, different ice, different benches, different lighting, etc. There's only a few of these games per year vs. over 1200 games at proper venues. There's not going to be a lot of injuries comparably.

Anyways, my concern was the uncommon surroundings AND dirty players like Wilson and Ovechkin running around at the Leafs.

Reactions: Cityswiper

Rayzorexe

Meh..
Dec 29, 2009
Toronto, ON
The Leafs were bound to head into a bad stretch considering how they were 10 - 4 in February. They mentioned it in the broadcast where Andersen has won 7 of his last 9 but gave up 3 or more in most of them.

They're 1 - 3 with Matthews out with his latest injury and winless since getting Plekanec. Wouldn't surprise me if they lost to Buffalo on Monday.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
We need center depth as we have none. Leivo cant replace JVR goals.
Jvr scores a lot but he is in a great position to score. He gets chances created for him. I hardly ever see jvr drive the play. We will see next season how good guys like leivo(if he is still here) and johnsson(have high hopes) do next season when/if jvr is gone. Having guys like kapanen/johnsson/levio get regular minutes in scoring positions would be better for the current team and in future years IMO. Last year jvr played crap in the playoffs, let's see how he does this time around.

Space Coyote

Oct 29, 2010
Time to give Andersen some time off. Start McBackup on Monday and play Freddie against the Penguins on Saturday.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Time to give Andersen some time off. Start McBackup on Monday and play Freddie against the Penguins on Saturday.

With our light schedule coming up, he needs to play to stay sharp. He's been off the last couple of games but giving him an extended layoff might make it worse.

garce

Mar 20, 2010
Too close to Ottawa and Montreal
Jvr scores a lot but he is in a great position to score. He gets chances created for him. I hardly ever see jvr drive the play. We will see next season how good guys like leivo(if he is still here) and johnsson(have high hopes) do next season when/if jvr is gone. Having guys like kapanen/johnsson/levio get regular minutes in scoring positions would be better for the current team and in future years IMO. Last year jvr played crap in the playoffs, let's see how he does this time around.

Trigger men and net presence guys never drive the play, they stand in front and tip and jam or they float on the perimeter and snipe. If you are looking for the classic 200 ft game look elsewhere. Personally I like JVR but think the 6-7 mil a 25 -30 scorer that he is, could be better spent on a top 4 d or... Tavares.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
honestly. that's what i'm taking away from this. no one got hurt.
there are some stinker stinker games, this is one of them, let's move on to Monday.

I think that's also a reason Babcock pulled Andersen...good move...imagine Andy getting hurt in a game like this?

Reactions: DDRhockey

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Everybody's fault.

Maybe it's time to hand over the GM job to Mark Hunter or Dubas ?

Dubas might be the new GM next year, while Lou might take on an advisory role...let Hunter do his thing at scouting and drafting.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
What a horrid game to watch. Our players looked they didn’t care and our great coach coached like he didn’t care. Hyman and Komarov on both power plays? Anybody else concerned about how crappy Marleau has looked in the last month?
By this time next year, Marleau is going to be 100% done, you can already see it coming. He got one last good paycheck out of us.

It was a stupid signing, and it's becoming more obvious as time goes on.

Reactions: ToMaLe

IamruKusleaf

Mar 3, 2018
Maple Leaf Gardens
By this time next year, Marleau is going to be 100% done, you can already see it coming. He got one last good paycheck out of us.

It was a stupid signing, and it's becoming more obvious as time goes on.
I like Marleau for sure , having said that it was a goofy signing for sure !
But trading for that Hab Pleks was worse , no added value , nothing to offer us at all , very strange to say the least

Reactions: ToMaLe

TMLeafs17

Why so salty?
Oct 5, 2017
Can’t believe we dumped a 2nd for Plekanec... he looks completely ineffective in every facet of the game.

edit: Honestly it looks like we just paid for a downgrade. Slide Komarov or Marleau into the middle and play Leivo/Johnsson/Martin. Brutal

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Don't really care about regular season at this point. Wake me up when playoffs come, I'm sure we won't have home ice anyways.

IamruKusleaf

Mar 3, 2018
Maple Leaf Gardens
Can’t believe we dumped a 2nd for Plekanec... he looks completely ineffective in every facet of the game.
I can’t believe he’s centering our first line , I really mean that WOW I would be pissed if I was in that dressing room right now
Reminds me of when Rocky Saginuk came up from the minors and declared himself the heir to the recently traded Macdonald and Tiger proceeded to let him know otherwise !

Reactions: TMLeafs17

IPS

Sep 28, 2017

edit: Honestly it looks like we just paid for a downgrade. Slide Komarov or Marleau into the middle and play Leivo/Johnsson/Martin. Brutal
Plekanec looks completely useless in his first looks, not even better than Moore.

We'll see what happens.

TMLeafs17

Why so salty?
Oct 5, 2017
He's faced harder competition and still looks better tbh. He won't be amazing but he is way better than Moore

I could count both players’ puck touches on one hand. And if you want to get into making a play with the puck the percentage is close to zero

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad