Friedman: Leafs do not see Marner making more than Kane

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Can't stop laughing my ass off for this Leafs "perfect" rebuild. :D

Everybody gets overpaid before any success, and Stanley Cup window closes, when there's no cap space to have deep depth for a succesful team. :facepalm:

You don't win anything with overpaid stars + no depth. :surrender

You pretty much have to rebuild again, or prepare for mediocrity, until these 11 million guys are gone. :clap:
This whole thing about paying their star RFA's right now started when Jack Eichel signed that 8 year extension which got him $10 million AAV. At that time he was coming off 24 goals and 32 assists for 56 points. Buffalo has not got any better since he signed that contract.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Can't stop laughing my ass off for this Leafs "perfect" rebuild. :D

Everybody gets overpaid before any success, and Stanley Cup window closes, when there's no cap space to have deep depth for a succesful team. :facepalm:

You don't win anything with overpaid stars + no depth. :surrender

You pretty much have to rebuild again, or prepare for mediocrity, until these 11 million guys are gone. :clap:
While the majority of leaf fans are unwilling to admit to this... there are a minority of us who fully agree.

The leafs attempt a top to bottom rebuild once every century or so (wish I was exaggerating...) and this one got completely and utterly destroyed by a rookie gm that had no f***ing idea what he was doing.

Remember... there are quite a few of us fellow leaf fans who don't drink the blue and white kool aid. We're well aware of what is happening.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
This whole thing about paying their star RFA's right now started when Jack Eichel signed that 8 year extension which got him $10 million AAV. At that time he was coming off 24 goals and 32 assists for 56 points. Buffalo has not got any better since he signed that contract.

Isn't that the point?

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
While the majority of leaf fans are unwilling to admit to this... there are a minority of us who fully agree.

The leafs attempt a top to bottom rebuild once every century or so (wish I was exaggerating...) and this one got completely and utterly destroyed by a rookie gm that had no ****ing idea what he was doing.

Remember... there are quite a few of us fellow leaf fans who don't drink the blue and white kool aid. We're well aware of what is happening.
The rookie GM overpaid for core players, while the veteran GM overpaid for Marleau and Zaitsev. A lot of things have gone wrong here, and it's not all on Dubas.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
The rookie GM overpaid for core players, while the veteran GM overpaid for Marleau and Zaitsev. A lot of things have gone wrong here, and it's not all on Dubas.
It's not all on Dubas. But like 90%.

Marleau's third year wouldn't be that big of a deal if Matthews, Nylander, and (soon to be) Marner weren't dramatically overpaid.
And Ziatsev... no real big deal. A slightly overpaid depth defensemen, that wouldn't be too hard to move.

The overpayments of the core players is what's REALLY going to hurt this team long term.

Regardless... it doesn't make me feel much better as a leaf fan to hear "It's not JUST your current gm that sucks. Your previous gm sucked as well." I mean... what are you trying to say? You're trying to make me feel BETTER about the situation with such observations?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Isn't that the point?
Prior to Eichel signing his current contract we saw other star players like Steven Stamkos, Jonathan Toews and Patrick Kane all sign 5 year contracts once their ELC had ended. So Eichel's contract changed the whole landscape for all the NHL teams with star players like Matthews and Marner.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Prior to Eichel signing his current contract we saw other star players like Steven Stamkos, Jonathan Toews and Patrick Kane all sign 5 year contracts once their ELC had ended. So Eichel's contract changed the whole landscape for all the NHL teams with star players like Matthews and Marner.

Yeah and if Buffalo was in a position where they were competing for a cup, and had other high end RFA's to sign, they'd be in a tight spot. It's a bad contract.

Then Toronto went out and signed Tavares to a UFA star center contract, and that was fine, but then they gave their 21 year old RFA even more despite having never had a 70 point season. They gave a guy 7M after only a couple 60 point seasons. 60 point UFA's don't even get 7M.

Now they want to play hardball with the best player of the three? Marner has no reason to sign for less than 11 after what Matthews and Nyalnder were given. It's going to prevent the Leafs from surrounding them with quality depth, because Dubas f***ed up these RFA contracts. THAT'S the point. You can't keep overpaying RFA's and expect to be competitive.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Yeah and if Buffalo was in a position where they were competing for a cup, and had other high end RFA's to sign, they'd be in a tight spot. It's a bad contract.

Then Toronto went out and signed Tavares to a UFA star center contract, and that was fine, but then they gave their 21 year old RFA even more despite having never had a 70 point season. They gave a guy 7M after only a couple 60 point seasons. 60 point UFA's don't even get 7M.

Now they want to play hardball with the best player of the three? Marner has no reason to sign for less than 11 after what Matthews and Nyalnder were given. It's going to prevent the Leafs from surrounding them with quality depth, because Dubas ****ed up these RFA contracts. THAT'S the point. You can't keep overpaying RFA's and expect to be competitive.
Lou Lamoriello is just as responsible for the Leafs current salary cap because of the contracts he gave to Marleau and Zaitsev.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
I think you are right that contract really screwed the salary scale for everyone.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
So even though Lamoriello was the Leafs GM who gave Marleau a $6.25 million AAV contract in his 3rd season with the Leafs is not responsible for the Leafs salary cap. Wow I have read some dumb things on here but what you said has become #1 on that list.

Marleau's contract wouldn't matter if Nylander wasn't overpaid by about 2M and Matthews wasn't overpaid by about 5M.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
So how come other Leafs fans are using the 3rd year of Marleau's contract as a reason why it's screwing things up for them re-signing Marner.

I have no idea why Leafs fans say and do some of the things they say and do. I'm as baffled as you are by Leafs fans on this forum.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I have no idea why Leafs fans say and do some of the things they say and do. I'm as baffled as you are by Leafs fans on this forum.
Because we are right when we say how Marleau's contract is a problem for their salary cap because of the 3rd year which Lou Lamoriello agreed to give him.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
The Leafs management talks about inflation and then refers to Kanes contract which was signed years ago.

Leafs entire management sounds like a joke from Shanahan telling the team to take pay cuts because he did to strong arming their best player.

traffic cone

May 12, 2011
I was curious so I looked in to this and it's true.

Recent 4th overall picks (ELC contract) per CapFriendly:
PoolParty: 10.275
B.Tkachuk: 10.275
S.Jones: 9.675
S.Bennett: 9.675
Makar: 8.563
Marner: 2.775

Strange he didn't get a "standard" ELC deal. His agent is right to put his fot down. Marner made 1/3 of what comparables got already.
That's on Lou and his principles...

The Leafs had (and have) tons of money and cap space. Why in the world did they not just give these players maximum ELCs back then?

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I was curious so I looked in to this and it's true.

Recent 4th overall picks (ELC contract) per CapFriendly:
PoolParty: 10.275
B.Tkachuk: 10.275
S.Jones: 9.675
S.Bennett: 9.675
Makar: 8.563
Marner: 2.775

Strange he didn't get a "standard" ELC deal. His agent is right to put his fot down. Marner made 1/3 of what comparables got already.

Thing is it’s very rare for players to earn the large Schedule B bonuses. Marner would have done so this year, the only time in his ELC. Most if not all of the other players you listed didn’t earn any Schedule B bonuses.

traffic cone

May 12, 2011
I'm not a Leafs fan. I lived in Toronto for a few months. I follow the Leafs closely. All this is just so sad to look at. Wasted potential.

It all began with the Nylander saga. Should've just traded him for cost controlled top4D before any NHL games were played.

You've already got Matthews, Marner, Kadri, Kapanen even Johnsson. Bracco in the farm. Why did the Leafs had to hold on to Nylander for so long...

Nervousbreakdown

Jul 3, 2017
Marleau's contract wouldn't matter if Nylander wasn't overpaid by about 2M and Matthews wasn't overpaid by about 5M.
In what world is one of the best goal scorers in the league over paid by 5m lololol. Nylanders cap his is fair and he had a bad season. Im pretty confident with the numbers being thrown around for RFAs right now 6.9 per year will look like a bargain. I think the most delusional leafs fans are the ones insisting that Marner is the best player on this team when in reality he is 3rd, and will become the second best player in 3-4 years when Tavares actually starts to decline.

You've already got Matthews, Marner, Kadri, Kapanen even Johnsson. Bracco in the farm. Why did the Leafs had to hold on to Nylander for so long...
Because he is better than everyone you listed after the first two.

Reactions: Namikaze Minato

Coach

Dec 18, 2010
Because we are right when we say how Marleau's contract is a problem for their salary cap because of the 3rd year which Lou Lamoriello agreed to give him.
Marleaus' contract has been around since before Dubas made his comment about they can and they will sign their 4 superstars. Why are the fans blaming a contract that was around before all of this started and has always been a known expense. People talk like this is a sudden unexpected challenge when Dubas knew it was there when he started.

Last edited:

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Why doesn’t Toronto just trade Nylander and one of Marner/Matthews for a king’s ransom and restructure their team cap? They still have enough talent to make the playoffs.

Then burn some of it on trade deadline moves and prospects.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Marleaus' contract has been around since before Dubas made his comment about they can and they will sign their 4 superstars. Why are the fans blaming a contract that was around before all of this started and has always been a known expense. People talk like this is a sudden unexpected challenge when Dubas knew it was there when he started.
Because it's not fair to blame Dubas for 100% of the Leafs salary cap crunch when part of the reason for it was the contracts given to Marleau and Zaitsev by Lamoriello.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad