Friedman: Leafs do not see Marner making more than Kane

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
you can look back. There have been hundreds of pages of speculation. There were many that were obsessed wh
With Matthews signing a sheet for way more than he signed for.

Then it was too much. Big surprise

Trust me I've read more than enough - the calls for $15 million were a very small percentage - an outlier if you will. Probably about as many posters as said he would take a discount and sign for Stamkos money. Most knowledgeable posters on both sides (Pro-Leaf and No-Leaf) were in the $10-$12 million range with almost everyone figuring it would be an 8 year deal

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
$72M was discussion point prior to season for Marner, Maple Leafs - Sportsnet.ca

“The discussion point was around $72 million prior to the season and my understanding is it was too rich for the Toronto Maple Leafs.”

This is a friend of a friend story of someone who knows Marner very well that I was told in August of last year. Apparently prior to the season the Leafs were at 7.5x8 and Marner at 9x8. However, that was the starting point of the negotiation. Since there was no pressure, from either side, Marner's agent apparently said to get closer to their number they are waiting until the end of this season. Now here we are. Again Marner's 9x8 was the starting point of negotiation back then, if he is at 11x8 now, it'll likely fall somewhere closer to 10.

If Marner makes it to July 1st he is getting 10.5-11.5 a year with an off sheet. Toronto fans have their heads up their......if they dont think he is getting 10+

10.5 the Leafs will match, I doubt though that any team overpays Maner + adds 4 1st round picks

mr grieves

May 21, 2011
Just watch.

Maybe.... don't know exactly how bold a GM Dubas will prove to be, but think once you're getting $1m+ over his 11% of the cap, you gotta wonder if Skinner (or similar) would want to play with Tavares for 2m+ less and what sort of ways your team might be improved by the sort of prospects and picks Marner would net. In the grand scheme, that'd make the Leafs a better team than Marner alone.

Maybe, if I were Dubas, I'd go $11m, but next to that contract would be a gun and directions for taking Patrick "Old Yeller" Marleau out behind the barn. Can't be half a gangster, Mitchy.

Reactions: Kurtz

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
If Marner makes it to July 1st he is getting 10.5-11.5 a year with an off sheet. Toronto fans have their heads up their......if they dont think he is getting 10+

Why would he, and who said Marner would sign an offer sheet? Would Marner really leave the Leafs over a million more per season with another team? If so that says alot. Players have received offer sheets in the past; does not mean they sign them.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
That's where you are wrong. Move along

You too huh?

He is getting AM type money whether you like it or not, so just embrace just how good Marner is and realize how lucky you guys are to have him.

No need to attempt to fool yourself otherwise

Torontoborn

Jan 9, 2019
You too huh?

He is getting AM type money whether you like it or not, so just embrace just how good Marner is and realize how lucky you guys are to have him.

Me too? Not sure what you mean by that. We do realize how good Marner is at least I do. But in no way should he be the highest paid winger in the league. Kuch signed a 9.5 m contract that starts in 2019-2020 Marner shouldn't make more then him.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
Evander, right? :naughty:

Haha, no... but if the Leafs want to trade Marner straight up for EK9, I'm all for it.

EK9 has tunnel vision problems too often. That is his vision narrows down to himself, the defender, and the goalie/net. He loses sight of his teammates and doesn't leverage them in these cases.

The other problem he has is that he sits in the penalty box too much. For a scoring winger, that's no good and somebody needs to get through to him about it. I think he lead the league in PIMs for a forward this season.

I've been calling this a lack of self-discipline for the better part of this season. Shame because he has the skillz. Maybe the coach should force EK9 to play center early next season for a spell to develop him.

Last edited:

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Me too? Not sure what you mean by that. We do realize how good Marner is at least I do. But in no way should he be the highest paid winger in the league. Kuch signed a 9.5 m contract that starts in 2019-2020 Marner shouldn't make more then him.

100% agree he shouldnt but Dubas set the tone with those 11 mill contracts in TO and Marner will get that too unfortunately

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Exactly. Non-Leafs fans say so much ****, then when called out on it afterwards they deny it. See; Oilers fans denying they were saying they won the Hall/Larsson trade because they made the PO and Hall was on a bottom feeder.

Unfortunately it goes both ways. Non Leaf fans deny many situations and Leaf fans deny many situations. But hey, everyone knows thats the way it goes with internet arguing

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
You too huh?

I’m ok with this only as long as Rantanen and Aho get similar money. They are the precise same tier.
If Marner signs for like 11.5x5, and those other two sign something like 10x8, then (and I’m dead serious) I want Dubas investigated for his suspicious involvement in these dramatic overpayments.

Reactions: Skinnyjimmy08

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
What Kuch signed for has nothing to do with what Marner should or should not be paid. The Draisatl, Eichal, Matthews, etc..signings tossed those comparisons out the window. Elite players coming off ELC are creating their own salary base
Almost everyone will agree that Matthews is really really good but in no way should he be the 2nd highest paid player in the league....he is for now.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
I think it’s utter insanity to have three forwards making close or more then $11 million dollars even with the cap expanding. Center depth is very important so keep the centers and capitalize on Marner to get the defensive help you need.

Torontoborn

Jan 9, 2019
What Kuch signed for has nothing to do with what Marner should or should not be paid. The Draisatl, Eichal, Matthews, etc..signings tossed those comparisons out the window. Elite players coming off ELC are creating their own salary base
Almost everyone will agree that Matthews is really really good but in no way should he be the 2nd highest paid player in the league....he is for now.

the 3 players you have mentioned are centers so the Kuch signing has everything to do with Marner should get. Matthews advanced stats say different. Top line centers get paid the big bucks.

mattydamon

May 2, 2011
Victoria, BC
I sort of feel bad for Toronto (never thought I'd say this) as all of their big guns seem to be all about the Benjamins and not about the team - I can't really think of many examples of so many players out of ELC making so much damn bank with so much drama so early on. I guess that's the price for being such a huge market with so much scrutiny and tire pumping.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
I sort of feel bad for Toronto (never thought I'd say this) as all of their big guns seem to be all about the Benjamins and not about the team - I can't really think of many examples of so many players out of ELC making so much damn bank with so much drama so early on. I guess that's the price for being such a huge market with so much scrutiny and tire pumping.

I think that's the evolution of how contracts are going to go and a dilemma teams throughout the league will face. I think, over time, heavy retirement contracts will become a thing of the past. Players will get paid more coming out of ELC and pre-30 years of age, seeing declining contracts as they age out. The problem for teams will be that transition period where they have older guys making big bucks and young guys wanting those same big bucks. It's going to create some animosity. Also some substantial difficulty for teams and the CBA ultimately because an RFA contract isn't any sort of protection for teams from salary cap issues.

I don't really think it's a reflection on Toronto at all, rather just what the kids are expecting now thanks to some folks getting those deals that at the time were questionable. There aren't going to be many players who settle now for what Scheifele or Ehlers did in Winnipeg, those are substantial bargains. Winnipeg will experience the same this summer with Connor and Laine (the same being Toronto's pain).

Toronto is kind of fortunate in that they aren't sitting on many 30+ players earning too much money for their value. The situation for them is unfortunate in that they're likely to have three forwards making $10+.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I think he is the younger version of Kane.....Lol he will get paid and Toronto fans will be happy

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005

Local guys (Kadri, Rielly, Tavares) have taken discounts to sign. Non-local guys have not.

Good chance that Marner, being a local guy, will also take a discount.

PattyLafontaine

Apr 5, 2006
I'll never understand this. Do you think GMs watched that Dubas interview and thought "hmm why does he need to sign him by July 1st? Why would he think its that important? Oh lord. I can offer sheet him after that! Thanks for tipping your hand, Dubs".

Leafs know there is a danger zone after July 1st. Marner knows it. Other GMs know it. There is no mistake by stating it.

All Dubas did with him comments is reinforce that Marner is a big part of the team, there is very literally zero downside to what he said. Its just the make believe world that you and other people hoping for the Leafs to fail live in.

You do not understand because it’s clear you do not negotiate contracts.

I have explained why stating a known deadline date in public is a bad idea. The general joe public doesn’t typically know the deadline,

By announcing it you create a potentially negative PR situation if Marner cannot be signed by 7/1. Even he gets signed after 7/1/19 it creates the impression that Dubas couldn’t meet the deadline. Marner’s agent can use this to leverage his position.

There’s no benefit to announcing that deadline to the public.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad