Friedman: Leafs do not see Marner making more than Kane

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
I'd rather be up against the cap with an allstar core than up against the cap with a bunch of terrible contracts and a bad roster. Not long ago the Leafs have terrible deals and finished bottom 10 every year as a cap team. At least they are making the playoffs now.

Reactions: Tripod

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I could be wrong, but I believe Marners camp wanted 8 million and the Leafs said no. Which for a 60 point guy, you can see. That's where projecting comes in.

On draft day, I wanted him or Provorov but was scared he would fall to NJ. He was a young Giroux just oozing talent and vision.

69 points, + 9 in 7 in the playoffs.

8 wouldn't have been crazy for Marner last year considering where the contracts have been going, (and what they ended up paying to Matthews few months later), everyone saw the potential/there last year already, he was the best Leafs player against Boston.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Imagine disrespecting your best player

Absolute stupidity, never mind the negotiating in public part. Everyone was talking about how huge of a discount koochy poo took, now they want to act like 9.5 going rate. Good luck

Nervousbreakdown

Jul 3, 2017
Thats the kicker 100%
Auston Matthews is an elite goal scoring center. Mitch Marner is an excellent playmaking winger but he is coming off a career year where his point total jumped by 25 while his center John Tavares scored 4 more points than last season. I don't think it is unreasonable to say A. Marner isn't the best player on the Leafs, hes likely the 3rd best right now and will eventually be the second best. B. Marner is another in a long line of wingers to benefit from playing with John Tavares C. It would be a far bigger mistake to over pay marner than I would to allow him get offersheeted and use that cap space and draft picks to address other areas of weakness in the line up.

None of this is a put down on Marner. I honestly think we could have 3 or 4 of the best leaf forwards of all time in this line up right now and that's crazy. He just isn't as good as Matthews or Tavares, he plays a less valuable position and he isn't good enough to give a massive contract where the cap hit has no precedent, especially when its a contract that would include 4 years as an RFA.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
No they better be prepared to trade him. You can get great value for marner. Trade him before you sign him to an ass deal. The hype machine is out of control in Toronto and these guys are wanting to top one another for biggest rfa overpayments. If marner wants money than let him chase it elsewhere.

Absolutely this 100%

I have no problem with somebody demanding the best deal possible for themselves, I also have absolutely no problem with trading him because he priced himself off the team either

Reactions: hamzarocks

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
Amazing how you can go to any leafs thread and every non leafs fan will tell you marner is their best player yet the vast majority of leafs fans (the ones who actually watch the leafs play) will tell you that Matthews is easily their best player.
I'm sure this has nothing to do with the doom and gloom scenarios people like to contrive

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
All these leaf fans putting down Marner sure weren't to be found in Draisaitl vs Marner and Rantanen vs Marner threads.

Marner is worth just as much as Matthews, if not more, and this isn't an uncommon opinion, many leaf fans consider him their best player. He's going to get paid, and deservedly so.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Oh look it's you again!

Matthews (and JT) play center, and are top 5 goal scorers in the NHL (per game wise).
Marner doesn't play center, is not a goal scorer.

Marner does not deserve the same pay because he does not do the two hardest things for a forward to do.

Chris Johnston told us what Dubas will do. He will give them an offer before July 1st and say this is our offer and if you won't consider it then we have to move on because we cannot pay you this. Marner's agents will likely laugh and try to sign an offer sheet. Marner will need to ask himself if he truly wants to leave because that possibility will become real. I think he "caves" (the offer will be fair but he could get more in an open market obviously) because he wants to be a Leaf.
I think Marner, is ready to move on if this happens...........the agent and the family have not been happy with the Leafs, so.........

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
All these leaf fans putting down Marner sure weren't to be found in Draisaitl vs Marner and Rantanen vs Marner threads.

Marner is worth just as much as Matthews, if not more, and this isn't an uncommon opinion, many leaf fans consider him their best player. He's going to get paid, and deservedly so.
No that is absolutely not the case.
You can go to the leaf boards and see for yourself. Leafs fans value Matthews more.
It's only non leafs fans that keep telling everyone marner is better.... and it's only cause they want to see him paid more.
It is not happening. Not by the leafs and not by anyone.
Can you imagine if one of these mystical offsheets actually happened? You would have to over pay the player and give up 4 first round picks. Chiarelli is not employed in the nhl anymore.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Oh look it's you again!

Matthews (and JT) play center, and are top 5 goal scorers in the NHL (per game wise).
Marner doesn't play center, is not a goal scorer.

Marner does not deserve the same pay because he does not do the two hardest things for a forward to do.

Chris Johnston told us what Dubas will do. He will give them an offer before July 1st and say this is our offer and if you won't consider it then we have to move on because we cannot pay you this. Marner's agents will likely laugh and try to sign an offer sheet. Marner will need to ask himself if he truly wants to leave because that possibility will become real. I think he "caves" (the offer will be fair but he could get more in an open market obviously) because he wants to be a Leaf.

Chris Johnston said ridiculous things on the SDP Marner goes nowhere

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
No that is absolutely not the case.
You can go to the leaf boards and see for yourself. Leafs fans value Matthews more.
It's only non leafs fans that keep telling everyone marner is better.... and it's only cause they want to see him paid more.
It is not happening. Not by the leafs and not by anyone.
Can you imagine if one of these mystical offsheets actually happened? You would have to over pay the player and give up 4 first round picks. Chiarelli is not employed in the nhl anymore.
I wasn't aware you speak for the entire leafs fan base.

And simply no, there are absolutely leaf fans who 100% think Marner is best, I've even seen some argue for Tavares.
And "it's not happening", you literally don't have any control, I'm sure you didn't want to hand a bad contract to Matthews either, but here we are.
None of us know what Marner will get but no one benefits from your arrogance.
But if I had to guess Marner will get a similar contract to Matthews simply because they are similar caliber of players, and there are not many young superstar RFA from the past couple years to compare to.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Weren’t leafs fans just telling us Marner was the best player on the Leafs? Why wouldn’t he want to be paid like it?

For me that's Matthews but even if it is Marner an elite center is almost always going to make more than an elite winger

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
I wasn't aware you speak for the entire leafs fan base.

And simply no, there are absolutely leaf fans who 100% think Marner is best, I've even seen some argue for Tavares.
And "it's not happening", you literally don't have any control, I'm sure you didn't want to hand a bad contract to Matthews either, but here we are.
None of us know what Marner will get but no one benefits from your arrogance.
But if I had to guess Marner will get a similar contract to Matthews simply because they are similar caliber of players, and there are not many young superstar RFA from the past couple years to compare to.
Speaking in absolutes is just silly.
Of course I don't speak for all leafs fans. But from all the conversations actual leafs fans have on the leaf boards, you can easily conclude that the vast majority of leafs fans value Matthews more then Marner.
If someone is dumb enough to offsheet marner and give him a bloated contract and give away 4 1st round picks, then we cross that bridge when we get there.
Considering it hasn't happened in 7 years, I am quite confident it will not be happening this offseason either.
.... and I'm just fine with Matthews contract. I just don't believe marner deserves one that's similar and I also don't believe he will get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad