Friedman: Leafs do not see Marner making more than Kane

Status
Not open for further replies.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Oh look it's you again!

Matthews (and JT) play center, and are top 5 goal scorers in the NHL (per game wise).
Marner doesn't play center, is not a goal scorer.

Marner does not deserve the same pay because he does not do the two hardest things for a forward to do.

Chris Johnston told us what Dubas will do. He will give them an offer before July 1st and say this is our offer and if you won't consider it then we have to move on because we cannot pay you this. Marner's agents will likely laugh and try to sign an offer sheet. Marner will need to ask himself if he truly wants to leave because that possibility will become real. I think he "caves" (the offer will be fair but he could get more in an open market obviously) because he wants to be a Leaf.
You paid your passenger 11.5 now prepare to pay the guy that can drive any line.

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
Dubas: "We're offering you $9 million per year."

Marner: "Not good enough. I want $10 million per year or I'm not signing."

Dubas: "$11 million per year and not a penny more."

Marner: "Deal!"

Dubas: "Ha. Sucker. Another win for the Dubster."
Like when all Leaf fans said Matthews would take a discount because he wanted to be there lol

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
How many cups does Matthews have? Tavares?
Centre's make more money. The Tavares deal is perfectly fine and anyone that argues otherwise is wrong. Matthews is over paid....I don't see why that justifies doing it again with Marner? Marner at over 10 million would literally break the market for what a winger gets paid in hockey. I feel like people don't quite understand this lol. It would ripple around the league.

Reactions: bert

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Centre's make more money. The Tavares deal is perfectly fine and anyone that argues otherwise is wrong. Matthews is over paid....I don't see why that justifies doing it again with Marner? Marner at over 10 million would literally break the market for what a winger gets paid in hockey. I feel like people don't quite understand this lol. It would ripple around the league.
The only other winger coming up that it would affect is rantanen and the aves have the money to pay him. ,

anyways I could see him holding out and getting 10.14 X 5 because that's around when offer sheet comp goes from 2 firsts to 4

Same for point and rantanen. I could see a team willing to give up 2 firsts for any of them . The players might not hold out or sign one but who knows

Reactions: Nightrain

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
The past 2 years, 4 of the top 10 cap hits have been wingers each year. Now it's getting out of whack because the Leafs have overpaid 2 centers.

Dubas made Tavares the highest paid UFA ever.
Dubas made Matthews the 2nd highest paid RFA ever.
Now he needs to pay the player who was better than both of them. That's not Marner's fault.

And I will say it again, you pay Marner because he is a star. Who cares if it's 11 million instead of 10. You cut from your depth. Instead of paying AJ 3 million, you trade him for futures to re-stock the pipeline and you replace him with Bracco. Bracco replaces 75% of AJ's points but at 1/3 the cost.

Teams don't get in trouble from paying their top players. They get in trouble by overpaying their middle 6 forwards(Marleau) and bottom 4 Dmen(Zaitsev).

jasonleaffan

Dec 7, 2008
Toronto
Breaking News!!!! Hot takes!!!

We wouldn't sign Tavares, we wouldn't sign Matthews, we wouldn't sign Nylander.....hears it all before. Marner will be signed by the Leafs.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
The past 2 years, 4 of the top 10 cap hits have been wingers each year. Now it's getting out of whack because the Leafs have overpaid 2 centers.

Dubas made Tavares the highest paid UFA ever.
Dubas made Matthews the 2nd highest paid RFA ever.
Now he needs to pay the player who was better than both of them. That's not Marner's fault.

And I will say it again, you pay Marner because he is a star. Who cares if it's 11 million instead of 10. You cut from your depth. Instead of paying AJ 3 million, you trade him for futures to re-stock the pipeline and you replace him with Bracco. Bracco replaces 75% of AJ's points but at 1/3 the cost.

Teams don't get in trouble from paying their top players. They get in trouble by overpaying their middle 6 forwards(Marleau) and bottom 4 Dmen(Zaitsev).
I mean yeah. I basically agree with all of this.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Basically ?Marner, Mathews, nylander, and ztavaras together cist $40M...Toronto is f***ed.

Here is the math

$84M cap means $48M for forwards . That means $8M for 9 forwards.

If Toronto had 4 of their top 6 Dmen on ELC or bridges they might be able to absib Matthews salary till his contract ends in 5 years.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Hardly... Kane signed a $10.5m deal years ago. That helped set a new standard, but Marner can and should break $10.5m.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I mean yeah. I basically agree with all of this.
See...I am not a guy to just rip on the Leafs, or anyone. The Leafs will find a way to make things work and I have said that repeatedly.

Even if Marner got 11 million, and you say all of the big 3 got 1 million too much, who cares. It just means that you don't sign AJ long term and play Bracco. What a sin, you have to trade your former 7th rounder for a 2nd rounder+, and play the 2nd leading scorer from the AHL instead.

And in a few years, if it costs Nylander for picks, oh well. It re-plenishes the pipeline.

It's a great problem to have....lots of great players.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I love the confidence Marner showed here. He could have easily signed a 7×7 or something along those lines before this season started.. But he bet on himself to have a huge year and did. Now he will be making 11+.

Confident kid. Leafs are lucky to have him

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I love the confidence Marner showed here. He could have easily signed a 7×7 or something along those lines before this season started.. But he bet on himself to have a huge year and did. Now he will be making 11+.

Confident kid. Leafs are lucky to have him
I could be wrong, but I believe Marners camp wanted 8 million and the Leafs said no. Which for a 60 point guy, you can see. That's where projecting comes in.

On draft day, I wanted him or Provorov but was scared he would fall to NJ. He was a young Giroux just oozing talent and vision.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Well, yeah, it's the league-wide glass ceiling for winger contracts. I'm sure Sakic and Cheveldayoff feel the same way about their RFA wingers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad