GDT: Leafs @ Devils - Groundhog Day! 7:00 PM - MSG

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
I find it hard to believe that some people still blame the goalies after a game like this. You could put Hasek in there and he wouldn't look much better than Gillies after a few games behind this team defense. These constant turnovers, stupid decisions with five guys in one corner and nobody covering the slot, these odd man rushes against – multiple times during a single power play – all of this just sucks any life out of the goaltending. This team is a total embarrassment from top to bottom. Just horrific.
disagree

gillies basically scored the first goal all by himself. the team is not in the mental shape to easily put that aside.

Reactions: Bleedred

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Our 3rd and 4th string goalies are equal or better that ~half the goalies in the NHL? That wasn’t even true of our number 1 and 2 goalies this season.
This. Our goalies are not even mediocre, they are AHL quality. The giveaways and such make them look even worse, but that doesn't suddenly make them capable.

Reactions: Bleedred

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
But the thing is we absolutely cannot use the goalie situation as a crutch. I mean, no one intentionally wanted to roll with two AHL backups as the goaltending tandem this year. The expectations for the skaters were a lot greater than this and instead they themselves are playing at AHL caliber. Not to mention...with unproven 3rd/4th stringers in net, you'd think the rest of the team would try to lock things down defensively and from a puck management style in order to shelter those guys as much as possible...yet we witness the exact opposite happening. A complete lack of team cohesion and structure. It's an abomination.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
I think Hynes was a pretty good coach, but like most, when things go badly he had plenty of terrible facets. He tended to panic and juggle lines and he really didn't know how to make adjustments. By the end he lost the team, but I think he made a pretty garbagey team into something decent. We now have a slightly less garbagey team that needs discipline and they aren't getting it.

Yup, that's what I've always said. He was good at mapping out a blueprint but failed horribly when it came to adapting, which is crucial imo and why I soured on him very quickly.

Reactions: billingtons ghost

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Eh come on now.

I know, goal 2 was Matthews, that's never stoppable, whatever.

Goal 3 was not good. He tracked the puck the ENTIRE way. He watches it whiz right by. That is nowhere near a 0% chance.

Not even close.

There were guys to his right, but they didn't impede his vision, they shouldn't have at least.

Goalies make glove saves and Gillies glove is just useless. He might be better off wearing two blockers.

Gillies has probably allowed 6-7 completely clean shots to the glove side already this year with the Devils and that's quite a bit when he's allowed 25 goals.

They went right across in front of him during the shot. He never saw it.

NJ07102

Apr 15, 2012
Germany
disagree

gillies basically scored the first goal all by himself. the team is not in the mental shape to easily put that aside.

The night before Zacha scored on Campbell after 47 seconds and he gave up 2 more in less than 10 minutes. The goalies are not responsible for the mental shape of their teams. One bad goal can't be enough to kill a team. If it is, then there must be other reasons.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Maybe that would work if the game was in Canada and an OOT reporter wanted to stir things up but otherwise, when's the last time any reporter got to ask a tough question of any player or coach here?

Well that's the point of doing it on the big stage in Toronto. THN, TSN...they'd all do a special on it. I'd hope that Toronto media would rip them up.

I know last night's game was home, but shit, someone needs to send some message to someone. I can't imagine what Jack would be like in the bench when he gets told 'dont go out for your next shift.'

We need a hell of a lot more of that.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
The night before Zacha scored on Campbell after 47 seconds and he gave up 2 more in less than 10 minutes. The goalies are not responsible for the mental shape of their teams. One bad goal can't be enough to kill a team. If it is, then there must be other reasons.

While you make a good point, let's see TOR goalies give up multiple early goals in five or six games in a row, and maybe 8 out of 10 or whatever, then we can see what that does to a good team. Any team can shrug off one or two bad games in net. As they pile up it has to get harder and harder, especially for a young team that I don't doubt is fragile.

Reactions: Devs3cups

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
They went right across in front of him during the shot. He never saw it.
He appeared to have a good look at goal 3.

He looked to track it going into the net and so cleanly beat his glove unlike anything I regularly see over and over around the league.

Just like when Schmid got pulled in the Dallas game and he got scored on by the first shot, only on that one there was nobody anywhere near him to debate a screen.

His glove is so f***ing weak, I think pee wee players have a good shot of scoring on him glove side.

His glove is like when Marty was having those glove side problems during the MacLean season. And there's even been times where he looks like he knows he could had it (maybe not on last night's) and even Salvador was like ''Gillies thinks he should have had that one'' in the Carolina game. His glove is not of much more use than Dan Blackburn's.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
This. Our goalies are not even mediocre, they are AHL quality. The giveaways and such make them look even worse, but that doesn't suddenly make them capable.

Bullshit. Schmid played a really good game and gave up 5 the other night. I can't believe you can put Severson's ridiculous beer D league D or our forwards being outmuscled everywhere on the ice on a goalie

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Bullshit. Schmid played a really good game and gave up 5 the other night. I can't believe you can put Severson's ridiculous beer D league D or our forwards being outmuscled everywhere on the ice on a goalie
I don't think Schmidt played badly in that game, certainly not as much as his goal count would suggest, but Gillies has just been BAD.

Even when he plays well on paper. I feel like every goal in I think it was the LA game? He could have had. None of them looked really bad, but they were all a bit questionable. And he only allowed 3.

And then one of the few times he made a glove save (during the Tampa game last week) it came right out of his glove and he was frozen and didn't even know he lost it.

Gillies is really like Louis Domingue territory for me.

He doesn't give up the constant blooper reel softy of the night goals that Domingue would allow, but he still allows a lot of questionable goals.

And I didn't even think he was bad his first two starts here. I was thinking ''He didn't play badly, he gave up 3 goals on 20-something shots, but he wasn't bad''. But now I'm seeing a lot of poor play on his end.

Reactions: Triumph and Blender

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
He appeared to have a good look at goal 3.

He looked to track it going into the net and so cleanly beat his glove unlike anything I regularly see over and over around the league.

Just like when Schmid got pulled in the Dallas game and he got scored on by the first shot, only on that one there was nobody anywhere near him to debate a screen.

His glove is so f***ing weak, I think pee wee players have a good shot of scoring on him glove side.

His glove is like when Marty was having those glove side problems during the MacLean season. And there's even been times where he looks like he knows he could had it (maybe not on last night's) and even Salvador was like ''Gillies thinks he should have had that one'' in the Carolina game. His glove is not of much more use than Dan Blackburn's.

You can be wrong if you want. Please watch the highlights that describe the play. Here is the text from Toronto announcer verbatim:

Any puck battle, the leafs win it. I mean that's WAY too soft. McCann pushes Subban and he falls down and then David kampe walks into the slot basically wide open, in the same spot Matthews was and he beats Gilles over the glove and Kempe has no goals in his past twelve games. This is a practice shot. He has all kinds of time to tee it up and he burns Gillies...

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
But the thing is we absolutely cannot use the goalie situation as a crutch. I mean, no one intentionally wanted to roll with two AHL backups as the goaltending tandem this year. The expectations for the skaters were a lot greater than this and instead they themselves are playing at AHL caliber. Not to mention...with unproven 3rd/4th stringers in net, you'd think the rest of the team would try to lock things down defensively and from a puck management style in order to shelter those guys as much as possible...yet we witness the exact opposite happening. A complete lack of team cohesion and structure. It's an abomination.
They played fairly well against Carolina and Tampa. They’ve been mediocre to below average as a team most of the year. Why are we pretending their play on the whole has been even close to what it was last game?

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
You can be wrong if you want. Please watch the highlights that describe the play. Here is the text from Toronto announcer verbatim:

Any puck battle, the leafs win it. I mean that's WAY too soft. McCann pushes Subban and he falls down and then David kampe walks into the slot basically wide open, in the same spot Matthews was and he beats Gilles over the glove and Kempe has no goals in his past twelve games. This is a practice shot. He has all kinds of time to tee it up and he burns Gillies...
I did listen to that clip and the ''Burns Gillies'' part sticks out and that's exactly why I used that phrasing. The way his glove was beaten was as cleanly as a brand new pack of socks.

And if you watch him and pay attention to him as the puck goes in, he definitely looks to have it tracked and it just goes in.

Now, maybe he was tracking an invisible object that we couldn't see and he didn't see the actual puck?

And yes, Subban's play on that was very BAD. He looked TERRIBLE there. And I haven't been going after Subban much since they finally came to terms with the fact that he's not very good anymore, he's not a power play producer and he isn't really better than a third pairing defenseman, but he looked BAD there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad