Post-Game Talk: Leafs def. Canucks - 5-2 (Miller, Suter)

Petey But Really Jim

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
It’s just really lovely to not hear platitudes but he’s not disrespectful or offensive in sharing his opinions.
We really took a gamble putting our chips down on Coach Rick but it seems to be paying off in spades. And he seems like an aces human being.

Reactions: quat

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Team looked road weary and weary in general. Plus some of the supposed team leaders were obviously less than good. Probably could see this coming given their play in Ottawa. Terrible PP in the early going was huge in swinging the game in Toronto's favor.

Good

Miller - Carried the teamthrough much of the game. Probably tried to do too much but lack of support more or less forced that on him.

Garland - ok he didn't really accomplish much but man what a heart. Never quit for a moment and just wish he had got rewarded

Soucy - get the same solid game from him every time out.

Bad

Myers - took another horrible penalty that hurt the team and reacting rather than anticipating all game. Back to playing off his back foot which is never good.

Demko - worse game of the season. For some reason kept coming off his post leaving the short side wide open. Second goal, like the first was his fault, even though Myers didn't help things. Lost his angle on the fourth goal and again was sloppy on the 5th goal. This was a game where we needed Demko to be good and he was a long ways away from being that.

Kuzmenko - did nothing in the play and less on the PP. Looking like we can officially label his performance as a sophomore slump. Just not happening for him.

Hoglander - shift on the late second period goal was dreadful. Had chance to get puck out and instead tried to beat the puck to death and then watched check go, unheeded, to the net. His defense is just not good and he got next to nothing done offensively. Have to question if he a NHL player. If Blueger is back then certainly Hoglander is out. Almost like to see Studnika rather than Hogander if Blueger needs more time.

Ugly

Boeser - he is what he is. A player too slow to stay in the run of the play. Maybe he can get on the end of plays around the net but he can create nothing for others. It's always others doing the work and him waiting around for the puck to come to him. On the PP he is now shooting too much. That goal in san Jose (which was basically the goalie's flub) seems to have convinced he a can shoot again so he is firing away from long distance. In fact, his shot, unless totally screened, is beating no one (other than the San Jose goalie) and many times is not on net. His play in the defensive zone (standing around aimlessly) and overall play was useless in this game. I thought he was our weakest player but, I guess, he was so far out of the play, this might not have been so obvious.

Pettersson - got to be said. He was terrible. I've said most of the season that he is not right and tonight showed that in spades. Just looks befuddled at times and, after awhile, you're just waiting for the next brain dead play. Passes when he should shoot and shoots when he should pass. Way over-stick handles, has passes constantly intercepted and a dollar short and day late around his own net. Strange how he can go from being sensational to crummy. Did this a couple of seasons ago when he started the year so poorly everyone wanted to trade him or at least bench him and then he went on to have a brilliant finish. Maybe that was due to the pressure being off since the team was going nowhere and was in garbage time by the last third of the season. Maybe it its the pressure but, I think, more likely he is nursing something. One thing for sure, Canucks should be careful giving out too much on a new contract if this type of play continues.

Others

Likely poorest game for the Hughes - Hronek combo. However, Hronek overall wasn't that bad as his plus/minus might indicate as most of those goals were caused by the poor work of others and he both did contribute to the offense. Hughes wasn't up to his usual standard.

Suter - a player that is starting to contribute. Bottom lines weren't bad although they have trouble putting away on the chances they did create.

Next game will be important in keeping any momentum lost tonight.
Feel like you’ve been way too critical of Boeser this season

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Marky was a Vezina candidate like… one year awhile ago. This isn’t the flex you think it is.
This fanbase is weird; it deifies overpaid underachieving goaltenders at the same time that it savages its overpaid underachieving defensemen. We have overrated our goalies since the days of Suitcase Smith and probably will continue to do so until one finally actually does win a Vezina. God help this board if that ever happens...

Team looked road weary and weary in general. Plus some of the supposed team leaders were obviously less than good. Probably could see this coming given their play in Ottawa. Terrible PP in the early going was huge in swinging the game in Toronto's favor.

Good

Miller - Carried the teamthrough much of the game. Probably tried to do too much but lack of support more or less forced that on him.

Garland - ok he didn't really accomplish much but man what a heart. Never quit for a moment and just wish he had got rewarded

Soucy - get the same solid game from him every time out.

Bad

Myers - took another horrible penalty that hurt the team and reacting rather than anticipating all game. Back to playing off his back foot which is never good.

Demko - worse game of the season. For some reason kept coming off his post leaving the short side wide open. Second goal, like the first was his fault, even though Myers didn't help things. Lost his angle on the fourth goal and again was sloppy on the 5th goal. This was a game where we needed Demko to be good and he was a long ways away from being that.

Kuzmenko - did nothing in the play and less on the PP. Looking like we can officially label his performance as a sophomore slump. Just not happening for him.

Hoglander - shift on the late second period goal was dreadful. Had chance to get puck out and instead tried to beat the puck to death and then watched check go, unheeded, to the net. His defense is just not good and he got next to nothing done offensively. Have to question if he a NHL player. If Blueger is back then certainly Hoglander is out. Almost like to see Studnika rather than Hogander if Blueger needs more time.

Ugly

Boeser - he is what he is. A player too slow to stay in the run of the play. Maybe he can get on the end of plays around the net but he can create nothing for others. It's always others doing the work and him waiting around for the puck to come to him. On the PP he is now shooting too much. That goal in san Jose (which was basically the goalie's flub) seems to have convinced he a can shoot again so he is firing away from long distance. In fact, his shot, unless totally screened, is beating no one (other than the San Jose goalie) and many times is not on net. His play in the defensive zone (standing around aimlessly) and overall play was useless in this game. I thought he was our weakest player but, I guess, he was so far out of the play, this might not have been so obvious.

Pettersson - got to be said. He was terrible. I've said most of the season that he is not right and tonight showed that in spades. Just looks befuddled at times and, after awhile, you're just waiting for the next brain dead play. Passes when he should shoot and shoots when he should pass. Way over-stick handles, has passes constantly intercepted and a dollar short and day late around his own net. Strange how he can go from being sensational to crummy. Did this a couple of seasons ago when he started the year so poorly everyone wanted to trade him or at least bench him and then he went on to have a brilliant finish. Maybe that was due to the pressure being off since the team was going nowhere and was in garbage time by the last third of the season. Maybe it its the pressure but, I think, more likely he is nursing something. One thing for sure, Canucks should be careful giving out too much on a new contract if this type of play continues.

Others

Likely poorest game for the Hughes - Hronek combo. However, Hronek overall wasn't that bad as his plus/minus might indicate as most of those goals were caused by the poor work of others and he both did contribute to the offense. Hughes wasn't up to his usual standard.

Suter - a player that is starting to contribute. Bottom lines weren't bad although they have trouble putting away on the chances they did create.

Next game will be important in keeping any momentum lost tonight.
Good call, I agree with all this...

Petey But Really Jim

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Can we just get the Montreal GDT up and running?

Though this team is 4 -12-0 in Montreal since 2010. That building is almost a house of horrors where this team finds epic ways to lose there.
I saw 'em beat Les Abbeetants Glorieux dans La Centre Bell in 2020 before the world went bananas. Toffoli OT winner then I took a flight back to Vancouver March 1st 2020 without a mask on. :scared:

• Wow
Reactions: SeawaterOnIce

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
Mathews is the least noticeable star player in the league. Only ever remember him if he scores.

You could also convince me that Marner didn't even play today.

I really wanted a blockbuster push for Nylander in the offseason.. damn.

• Haha
Reactions: 1specter

Lupuls Grit

Oct 12, 2018
Orillia
Just got back from the game. Pretty damn disappointing. I haven't heard any media or read the boards yet to see the consensus on who was good and bad but from my perspective the three best players for the Canucks were Garland, Joshua and Suter. I barely noticed Matthews at all so I'll give a thumbs up to Miller as well for shutting down that line and scoring a goal. I don't like dumping on Myers but that cross-checking penalty was really stupid and unnecessary. Overall, just a really poor effort from most of the guys. Kuzmenko and Mik were not good at all and Petey did not play to his usual standards. It was a long drive back to Orillia tonight!

And worst of all, the Leafs goal song (whatever the hell it is) may be the worst thing I have ever heard. I would rather hear Chelsea Dagger on a loop for ten hours straight than hearing that thing five more times.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Tocchet hasn't gotten all the bad habits out yet, clearly. Interesting, he also mentioned I believe pre-game that Pettersson is "dealing with some things". That was a pretty poor effort, maybe Pettersson is nursing something.

Grumbler

Oct 25, 2012
Are Dallas and NYR not legit playoff contenders?
We lost to NYR, and Dallas was 3 games in 4 nights against us and didn't take us seriously...

I get the hype seeing the team having a good start, but reality is reality.

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC
Tocchet hasn't gotten all the bad habits out yet, clearly. Interesting, he also mentioned I believe pre-game that Pettersson is "dealing with some things". That was a pretty poor effort, maybe Pettersson is nursing something.
EP dealing with issues so drop his ice time hes not winning battles pp some less significant lines till he gets back ice sweeping wins shit

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Hey remember when perennial "Vezina candidate" Jacob Markstrom would have a stinker game and everybody on this board would cut him endless slack and instead curse Guddy? Good times!
Omg were you one of the GuddyGuys?!

Batch spittin facts

Or sports fans are obnoxious on twitter.

I find this anger towards stats just hilarious.

Reactions: credulous and m9

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
Omg were you one of the GuddyGuys?!

Or sports fans are obnoxious on twitter.

I find this anger towards stats just hilarious.
he is right. dom would be perfectly right to shit on us if we lose a bunch of games in a row. doing it on one is setting himself up for more memes

Reactions: Vector

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Ah yes, everything is once again Myers' fault. Literally dozens of negative comments in the GDT as per usual. Never mind that Hronek was worse and all the stars were garbage too. And let's not forget Demko (and his abysmal .773 save % with at least a couple of bad goals) who has some deluded fans here already talking VEZINA and who got comments of "not indestructable" and "not his best game" as his harshest criticisms tonight. He was lousy pure and simple. So was Petey. So were most of the team. Demko seems immune from criticism here.

No one’s pretending Demko didn’t have a bad game. But he’s been the reason the team has won far more than the reason they lost since he’s become the starter, and outside of the poor start last year, he’s the most reliable aspect of the team and hasn’t been bad consistently to the point where it’s really worth discussing.

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I didn't catch this one but as long as nobody was injured I'm fine with the occasional dud. We came into a barn where we knew the Leafs would be feeling some pressure and they look to have gotten the kind of luck we've been getting with 5 goals on 22. GG go next.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad