Post-Game Talk: Leafs def. Canucks - 5-2 (Miller, Suter)

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC
Could have easily put this game away, we were dominant in the first period and had our chances on the PP.

After it was 2-1 we could and should have played much tighter defensively to at least try and make it to OT and secure a point.

As it was, we out-shot Toronto and outplayed them for large stretches. An off night for Demko and puck luck were the main differences tonight. On to the next.

Work hard enough play hard d on road they didn't dont mind a loss hate one they gave away to easy

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Yeah this kind of game is gonna happen every now and then.

And to be honest I don't mind Leafs, despite some of their fans being pretty annoying.

On to the next.

petterdaddy

Sponsor
Jul 1, 2023
Vancouver
Yeah this kind of game is gonna happen every now and then.

And to be honest I don't mind Leafs, despite some of their fans being pretty annoying.

On to the next.

1699759653767.gif

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Ah yes, everything is once again Myers' fault. Literally dozens of negative comments in the GDT as per usual. Never mind that Hronek was worse and all the stars were garbage too. And let's not forget Demko (and his abysmal .773 save % with at least a couple of bad goals) who has some deluded fans here already talking VEZINA and who got comments of "not indestructable" and "not his best game" as his harshest criticisms tonight. He was lousy pure and simple. So was Petey. So were most of the team. Demko seems immune from criticism here.
Hot take once again zippy

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Hot take once again zippy
Hey remember when perennial "Vezina candidate" Jacob Markstrom would have a stinker game and everybody on this board would cut him endless slack and instead curse Guddy? Good times!

Last edited:

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Hey remember when perennial Vezina candidate Jacob Markstrom would have a stinker game and everybody on this board would cut him endless slack and instead curse Guddy? Good times!
Thats not the gotcha you think it is

Reactions: God

Petey But Really Jim

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
No, you must save it for the playoffs board that we will probably get to participate in finally.

Tocchet makes me feel better, he’s like the head coach of my recreational emotions.

Coach Rick is the first coach in my podcast listening days where media availability from the coach is a feature and not a bug.

Reactions: petterdaddy

petterdaddy

Sponsor
Jul 1, 2023
Vancouver
Hey remember when perennial Vezina candidate Jacob Markstrom would have a stinker game and everybody on this board would cut him endless slack and instead curse Guddy? Good times!

Marky was a Vezina candidate like… one year awhile ago. This isn’t the flex you think it is.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Team looked road weary and weary in general. Plus some of the supposed team leaders were obviously less than good. Probably could see this coming given their play in Ottawa. Terrible PP in the early going was huge in swinging the game in Toronto's favor.

Good

Miller - Carried the teamthrough much of the game. Probably tried to do too much but lack of support more or less forced that on him.

Garland - ok he didn't really accomplish much but man what a heart. Never quit for a moment and just wish he had got rewarded

Soucy - get the same solid game from him every time out.

Bad

Myers - took another horrible penalty that hurt the team and reacting rather than anticipating all game. Back to playing off his back foot which is never good.

Demko - worse game of the season. For some reason kept coming off his post leaving the short side wide open. Second goal, like the first was his fault, even though Myers didn't help things. Lost his angle on the fourth goal and again was sloppy on the 5th goal. This was a game where we needed Demko to be good and he was a long ways away from being that.

Kuzmenko - did nothing in the play and less on the PP. Looking like we can officially label his performance as a sophomore slump. Just not happening for him.

Hoglander - shift on the late second period goal was dreadful. Had chance to get puck out and instead tried to beat the puck to death and then watched check go, unheeded, to the net. His defense is just not good and he got next to nothing done offensively. Have to question if he a NHL player. If Blueger is back then certainly Hoglander is out. Almost like to see Studnika rather than Hogander if Blueger needs more time.

Ugly

Boeser - he is what he is. A player too slow to stay in the run of the play. Maybe he can get on the end of plays around the net but he can create nothing for others. It's always others doing the work and him waiting around for the puck to come to him. On the PP he is now shooting too much. That goal in san Jose (which was basically the goalie's flub) seems to have convinced he a can shoot again so he is firing away from long distance. In fact, his shot, unless totally screened, is beating no one (other than the San Jose goalie) and many times is not on net. His play in the defensive zone (standing around aimlessly) and overall play was useless in this game. I thought he was our weakest player but, I guess, he was so far out of the play, this might not have been so obvious.

Pettersson - got to be said. He was terrible. I've said most of the season that he is not right and tonight showed that in spades. Just looks befuddled at times and, after awhile, you're just waiting for the next brain dead play. Passes when he should shoot and shoots when he should pass. Way over-stick handles, has passes constantly intercepted and a dollar short and day late around his own net. Strange how he can go from being sensational to crummy. Did this a couple of seasons ago when he started the year so poorly everyone wanted to trade him or at least bench him and then he went on to have a brilliant finish. Maybe that was due to the pressure being off since the team was going nowhere and was in garbage time by the last third of the season. Maybe it its the pressure but, I think, more likely he is nursing something. One thing for sure, Canucks should be careful giving out too much on a new contract if this type of play continues.

Others

Likely poorest game for the Hughes - Hronek combo. However, Hronek overall wasn't that bad as his plus/minus might indicate as most of those goals were caused by the poor work of others and he both did contribute to the offense. Hughes wasn't up to his usual standard.

Suter - a player that is starting to contribute. Bottom lines weren't bad although they have trouble putting away on the chances they did create.

Next game will be important in keeping any momentum lost tonight.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Alright, paid about 60 bucks Canadian for 2 tall boy beers at this Warriors/Cavs game.

Not sure what happened to this game but here’s to a better game tomorrow

• Wow
Reactions: God

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Can we just get the Montreal GDT up and running?

Though this team is 4 -12-0 in Montreal since 2010. That building is almost a house of horrors where this team finds epic ways to lose there.

Reactions: Billy Kvcmu

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad