Post-Game Talk: Leafs def. Canucks - 5-2 (Miller, Suter)

Sedinery

May 24, 2021
Best part of the night was watching fake tough guy Joshua being owned by a 40 year old on national tv

End the Joshua experiment please

Guy is utterly useless

Lupuls Grit

Oct 12, 2018
Orillia
Best part of the night was watching fake tough guy Joshua being owned by a 40 year old on national tv

End the Joshua experiment please

Guy is utterly useless
It's always fun to read a post before looking at the poster and knowing immediately who posted it. Absolutely terrible take. Joshua has been inconsistent this year and yes, he lost the fight to old man Gio, but Joshua was a force last night. One of their best players. He was physical, moved the puck well, answered the bell when he had to and played an important role on the Canucks best line of the night. He lost a fight, big f'n deal. Maybe the Canucks can trade a drift pick to pick up Reaves, he may be available. Or maybe the Canucks should have given Big Daddy Schenn a massive contract this offseason rather than spending money on Soucy, Cole and Suter.

Reactions: Jay26

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
It's only one loss but they have been playing "lucky" for quite awhile. A win is a win and a loss a loss. Brillant observation eh?

Canucks have won some games that the hockey gods smiled on them.
This game was kind of normal stats.
They are lucky still in that this division has a few teams stuggling at the start.

But wow are they ever stating some poster board material.
"we are lucky we will get two points tomorrow" Sure things said to placate a loss but it comes across as a lot of disrespct for Montreal in their home rink.

Canucks were very lucky in Ottawa and not so much in Toronto.

I am watching Pettersson, there is something different.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Mathews is the least noticeable star player in the league. Only ever remember him if he scores.

You could also convince me that Marner didn't even play today.

I really wanted a blockbuster push for Nylander in the offseason.. damn.

He’s going to have a career like Ovechkin’s. Neither guy is super involved in the run of play or grinding things out, which will lend to health/longevity. But between “their spot” on the power play and just finding open seams, they’ll pile up goals.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Leaf fans claim the Canucks are frauds based on their unsustainable stats...

First period was good ,I thought..The PP clicked on the two Leaf instigator penalties..After that, the Leafs took over, and put it out of reach in the 3rd..We didn't deserve to win...I was getting more intoxicated as the game went on ,but thats how it looked to me.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Canucks PP let them down.....sure they got two first period goals on the PP, but the Leafs kept handing them PP opportunities, including a 25-second, five on three in the second period.

But after the Canucks couldn't convert, the Leafs took over. Too bad they couldn't have directed more shots and traffic at Samsonov, who doesn't look all that solid right now.

You could see that some of the Canucks star players like Miller, Pettersson and Hughes were clearly pissed about this game. Maybe they can use the result as motivation tonight in Montreal.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
Omg were you one of the GuddyGuys?!

Or sports fans are obnoxious on twitter.

I find this anger towards stats just hilarious.

they're just numbers, they can't hurt you

the people getting upset about bad analysis are just as bad as the people performing bad analysis imo

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
No one’s pretending Demko didn’t have a bad game. But he’s been the reason the team has won far more than the reason they lost since he’s become the starter, and outside of the poor start last year, he’s the most reliable aspect of the team and hasn’t been bad consistently to the point where it’s really worth discussing.
Demko is an excellent goalie, just like Markstrom and Luongo before him. My point is that nobody outside myself has stated that he actually had a really lousy game, every comment is somehow mitigated and the blame is instead foisted on the usual whipping boy, whomever it may be at any given time (usually an overpaid defenseman which make then an easy target). If you view this game only by reading the GDT you would think that Myers had the worst game in history and poor old Demko was left hung out to dry on all the goals which is most definitely NOT the case; although he WAS indeed left out to dry on perhaps a couple he also whiffed on a couple. The negative comments about Myers were in their dozens while I could not find one really negative comment about Demko's game. This syndrome amongst Canuck fans (who are arguably the most neurotic fans in hockey, not without good reason) has ample historical precedence and I for one am heartily sick of it.

Reactions: Indiana

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
they're just numbers, they can't hurt you

the people getting upset about bad analysis are just as bad as the people performing bad analysis imo
What bad analysis.

The fans crying about Dom pointing out our PDO looks unsustainable are f***in clowns.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Demko is an excellent goalie, just like Markstrom and Luongo before him. My point is that nobody outside myself has stated that he actually had a really lousy game, every comment is somehow mitigated and the blame is instead foisted on the usual whipping boy, whomever it may be at any given time (usually an overpaid defenseman which make then an easy target). If you view this game only by reading the GDT you would think that Myers had the worst game in history and poor old Demko was left hung out to dry on all the goals which is most definitely NOT the case; although he WAS indeed left out to dry on perhaps a couple he also whiffed on a couple. The negative comments about Myers were in their dozens while I could not find one really negative comment about Demko's game. This syndrome amongst Canuck fans (who are arguably the most neurotic fans in hockey, not without good reason) has ample historical precedence and I for one am heartily sick of it.

I don’t think you can view comments through the lens of one game though. Myers’ role on this team is a question mark so he’s going to get criticized when he’s bad. There’s also discussion to be had on whether he should be traded, or benched or upgraded. Demko was so lights out to start the year, I think everyone is willing to give him a pass. There’s also no question about his current role with the team. I did see a lot of comments about him being bad in the GDT and on the main boards, but it was more in the vein of “every goalie is going to have those games”. I have no doubt if Demko goes through a run of bad games or becomes much more inconsistent throughout the year, there will be more comments on his play. I really don’t see this idea that the fans don’t criticize the goalies here. Some people wanted to start Spencer Martin more in 21-22 and a bunch of people wanted to trade Demko last year. The fickleness of this fanbase comes for everyone.

Quinn wasn’t good either, but he’s also largely getting a pass because of how good he was leading up to the game. Meanwhile, Pettersson is getting a bit more heat (or at least concern) because he hasn’t looked quite right for a bit longer.

Last edited:

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007

People don't jump on Demko because he has carried this team on his back for extended periods of time on multiple occasions, and has basically earned the benefit of the doubt in most peoples' minds.

People are down on Myers because he's been medium to bad for basically almost his entire time here, and it is a source of frustration for many people that is never far below the surface.

This isn't complicated.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
I don’t think you can view comments through the lens of one game though. Myers’ role on this team is a question mark so he’s going to get criticized when he’s bad. There’s also discussion to be had on whether he should be traded, or benched or upgraded. Demko was so lights out to start the year, I think everyone is willing to give him a pass. There’s also no question about his current role with the team. I did see a lot of comments about him being bad in the GDT and on the main boards, but it was more in the vein of “every goalie is going to have those games”. I have no doubt if Demko goes through a run of bad games or becomes much more inconsistent throughout the year, there will be more comments on his play. I really don’t see this idea that the fans don’t criticize the goalies here. Some people wanted to start Spencer Martin more in 21-22 and a bunch of people wanted to trade Demko last year. The fickleness of this fanbase comes for everyone.

Quinn wasn’t good either, but he’s also largely getting a pass because of how good he was leading up to the game. Meanwhile, Pettersson is getting a bit more heat (or at least concern) because he hasn’t looked quite right for a bit longer.
I find the Myers hate, like the Guddy hate before it, is based on inflated fan expectations and deep salary envy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad