TSN: Leafs deadline wants: RHD or Power forward?

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
No I don't think they are readily available, but that wasn't the premise of the question, it's more of an idealistic want.
Okay.

What's the more realistic target, then?

The pending UFA crop for RHD (i.e. the rental market) is essentially barren, if I remember right. This is a big need for a prominent contender so I get the chatter, but there needs to be a second party that's actually willing to make a deal.

My sense is that there really isn't much out there at all at the moment...certainly not anything you might get for the typical rental package. Can anyone identify any realistic targets at the moment?

There's lots of chatter about the Blues, but they are certainly not rebuilding. Their ownership wants to win now, and everything they've done the last few years is pointing them in that direction. They aren't retooling, either, and they wouldn't retool by trading one of their two best defensemen, anyway. A team that's looking to contend simply isn't going to rip a giant hole in its blue line. I could see a change of scenery trade to shake things up, but that's not going to involve a top pairing defenseman going out without one coming back.

What other teams are there? LA isn't trading Doughty. Chicago doesn't have anything Toronto would want. What first pairing quality defensemen are available at this point, much less available for a collection of lesser parts?

I honestly don't think there are any. You could try to change a team's mind by making them an offer they can't refuse, or settle for a lesser solution, or simply ignore the issue for the time being. For all intents and purposes, though, I think this talk about getting a top pairing RHD is just pie in the sky wishing at this point. There's just no dance partners out there to be had.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
Okay.

The pending UFA crop for RHD (i.e. the rental market) is essentially barren, if I remember right. This is a big need for a prominent contender so I get the chatter, but there needs to be a second party that's actually willing to make a deal.

My sense is that there really isn't much out there at all at the moment...certainly not anything you might get for the typical rental package. Can anyone identify any realistic targets at the moment?

There's lots of chatter about the Blues, but they are certainly not rebuilding. Their ownership wants to win now, and everything they've done the last few years is pointing them in that direction. They aren't retooling, either, and they wouldn't retool by trading one of their two best defensemen, anyway. A team that's looking to contend simply isn't going to rip a giant hole in its blue line. I could see a change of scenery trade to shake things up, but that's not going to involve a top pairing defenseman going out without one coming back.

What other teams are there? LA isn't trading Doughty. Chicago doesn't have anything Toronto would want. What first pairing quality defensemen are available at this point, much less available for a collection of lesser parts?

I honestly don't think there are any. You could try to change a team's mind by making them an offer they can't refuse, or settle for a lesser solution, or simply ignore the issue for the time being. For all intents and purposes, though, I think this talk about getting a top pairing RHD is just pie in the sky wishing at this point. There's just no dance partners out there to be had.
Well said, it's just unfortunate that the moment this gets read the leaf fans will just ignore it and make another thread trying to give quantity for quality

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Okay.

Yea, I don't think there is a top-pairing RHD readily available either but you can never predict market dynamics in any sport about availability. No one would have predicted Karlsson, Tavares, ROR, etc. would be on the open market at any finite point in time either.

I think there a lot of ~top 4 RHD available at the right price. Tanev, Myers, Petry are three examples off the top of my head that I believe could be had at the right price- less so Petry now with how Bergevin seems to want to operate (+ the fact he is inter-division). In the off-season, I still firmly believe CDH is top-4 quality and could have slid over to the right side if we could have netted him as well.

We have internal options as well, if we're being optimistic, perhaps not immediately- unless we're being optimistic about Dermott or Rielly sliding over to the right side.

We wouldn't be able to fit a Doughty regardless, not sure he's the fit we'd want either with his cap-hit and our needs.

Even a lesser option like McQuaid- who I don't think is a top 4, would be a good fit in our lineup, IMO. Again, when we bring up the notion of "top-pairing RHD that is physical"- it is purely idealistic. I don't think any team is built perfect on paper, particularly in this current iteration of hockey- something a lot of fans and old-school hockey pundits refuse to acknowledge/accept.

90% of them include parayko petro or another blues player. Lol

I think the irony in your post is that, your the one that is bringing them up...

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
Oh ok. I guess if you just say that without any evidence or explanation as to why that is true, it must be true.
Who is better nylander or kap, who is better marner or nylander.

We both know the answers to this question.

Just admit it kap is a product of his team. Nylander or marner are the pieces to start with if you wasntva true #1rhd.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility

Just admit it kap is a product of his team. Nylander or marner are the pieces to start with if you wasntva true #1rhd.

Kap is a top line winger. He has that valueto be a big piece. I never said he could pull a guy Marner or Nylander could but those guys aren’t availabke so neither are our two.

Kap + Prospect + 1st is a significant package for a team depending on the quality of the prospect

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
Kap is a top line winger. He has that valueto be a big piece. I never said he could pull a guy Marner or Nylander could but those guys aren’t availabke so neither are our two.

Kap + Prospect + 1st is a significant package for a team depending on the quality of the prospect
Yeah ok good luck getting your top pair Dman with that.

Reactions: Snowman

FlyingLeafus

But what about the playoffs?
Jan 4, 2009
Milton

Kapanen is more than just a product of his team and this will be proven by the end of the year. It's actually pretty unfortunate for the Leafs cap implications, but he looks like a legit threat whenever he is on the ice no matter who he is with. He's earned his spot next to Matthews. Doesn't make sense to trade him until the off-season though when his value will be maxed out.

Reactions: FishManSam

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Gudbranson and Schaller fill BOTH needs for you guys. Send back a 1st, or Kapanen and a 3rd

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I could see Waddell offering up Ferland and Faulk for dirt cheap once it's clear neither will be re-signing for the cheap price this franchise would require to consider keeping them.

A 2021 2nd and Connor Brown would probably do it for Waddell.

You had your chance to get a defenseman from us. That ship has sailed. Go hit up some other suckers who will hand you good young D for draft picks while you bogart every f***ing skill forward in the league.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
We need someone to get Hainsey off the top pair before the playoffs basically.
You cant just make chemistry with Rielly. It’s a tough spot.

Probably best to find Dermott a top 4 dman and limit all three pairs to playing an even 20 min per game as we don’t know if Oz can play 82 and playoffs.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
These threads are so tiresome. The Leafs aren’t looking to add a power-forward. They aren’t looking to add a RHD.

Babcock has shown us how he builds a line.
  • Grinder/Forechecker
  • Shooter
  • Playmaker
Look at the lines they have:
Hyman (G), Tavares (S), Marner (P) (done)
Kapanen (G), Matthews (S), Nylander (P) (done)
Marleau (x), Kadri (P), Johnsson (S)
Ennis, Lindholm/Gauthier, Brown

The 4th line is basically a shutdown line and paid minimally so you’re not expecting much more than reliability and minute munching.

Marleau is the one guy that really doesn’t fit (and is retiring ,most likely after next season.) So we have Grundstrom poised to take that spot. The forwards are good. Nothing needs to be added.

On the blue line, the LHD are Rielly, Gardiner, Dermott. Zero issues there. Maybe a question mark with Gardiner re-signing but we have Sandin and Rosén who look ready so not much concern.

RHD are Hainsey, Zaitsev, and Ozhiganov. Again, no issues. People whine about Zaitsev but he’s actually just stable, reliable. We can’t expect to have 6x Riellys... plus we have Liljegren who will be bursting into the scene sooner than later. I don’t doubt that were it not for expansion he’d be up this year. Liljegren will replace Hainsey. So again, RHD not an issue.

The only trades they’re actually going to make will be to deal prospects to get younger prospects, such that they have just enough depth pushing the established vets but never so many that they put themselves at a disadvantage on the trade front. Then they get younger guys who will project to be ready to replace the vets at appropriate timelines so we seemlessly replace vets with well trained prospects.

If you want to see exciting trades in Toronto best to get a subscription to the Marlies.

Reactions: Razz

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Gudbranson and Schaller fill BOTH needs for you guys. Send back a 1st, or Kapanen and a 3rd
The fact Gudbranson sucks and makes 4 million would be a pretty big no here. Add to that your asking price; and i am confident that no would also include at least one explative.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
My view lately is that you’re either a tough team or you play the skilled game. Having one tough guy won’t make the difference. Once you have him out there stirring the pot against a team with multiple pwr forwards you put yourself at a disadvantage for the rest of the team that doesn’t like a physical game. Play your skilled game and draw the penalties.

Only thing that scares me is the 2010 Canucks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad