TSN: Leafs deadline wants: RHD or Power forward?

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
It depends. If you have any doubt about that upside, you do it. Even if you think Kapanen is going to be that guy, I think you still do it. The goal of the sport is to win, not to lead the league in goals. Pesce is just a really good fit for the Leafs financially, positionally and stylistically. I take Toronto seriously with Pesce in a way I don't now. You wouldn't have to give up any crown jewels in the process. Kapanen is effectively found money.

Judging from your posts, you’re bearish on the guy. That’s fine. I hope Dubas shares your point of view. Save Carolina from itself.

You seem a wee bit dismissive of a 22yr old first round pick with elite tools and elite ahl and now nhl production for his age.

Pesce is your #4 dman this year, and not performing particularly well in that role.

Tit

Toast and jam
Sep 23, 2018
no he hasn't. the Tavares Line looks much worse with him on there, and the kadri line looks much better without him.

we're talking about replacing Kapanen.

we can go back and forth on the price, but none of these guys should be considered untouchable if we're talking about upgrading to a #1 dman.

no crossroads at all, imo. he has stacked young team with plenty of good prospects - in a perfect position to consolidate some of those prospects into an elite dman.

I think you missed the part where we would be trading for a top pair dman.

Did you even read the post I was replying to?
Obviously not.
Dubas is 100% at a crossroads. He needs to figure out if he should go all in on a RHD or wait for the kids to come in. I think he tried like hell to trade Nylander and at the last minute gave him a contract that is still tradeable after this season. Kapanen should not be traded.

I agree with you that if we are getting a #1 RHD, then no prospect is off the table. But who is trading us a #1 or even #2 RHD for Liljegren +? or Nylander + Liljegren? I'd be expecting Dumba-esque value with that if we are involving Nylander now that he is signed.

I doubt Minny does that, or most other teams in the league. So that is a crossroads, 100%.
The team is young and has a big window, but we are also under cap stress after this season, and have 2 glaring needs at RHD.

I am not concerned with the 4th line on this team at all, because it likely doesn't matter come playoffs.

Replacing Kapanen with Brown is like Selling a Mercedes and buying a Kia.

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
I think you'd need to compensate Vancouver a bit more for retaining on Gudbranson and also taking Zaitsev as a cap dump.

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
Anyone think theres any value to this,

To Toronto

-Chris Tanev
-Erik Gudbranson (50% retained)

To Vancity

-Nikita Zaitsev
-Connor Brown
-Yegor Korshkov/Sean Durzi
-1st round pick

Our right side gets a boost and toughness gets a major boost with Gudbranson

Its an interesting deal, not sure if you need both Tanev & Gudbranson. Also if we are retaining, I would think we could get a bit better of a deal? Swapping Kapanen for Brown?

I assume Toronto would want to give Kapanen a bridge deal, but want to sign Mathews and Marner before trying to keep Kapanen?

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
Its an interesting deal, not sure if you need both Tanev & Gudbranson. Also if we are retaining, I would think we could get a bit better of a deal? Swapping Kapanen for Brown?

I assume Toronto would want to give Kapanen a bridge deal, but want to sign Mathews and Marner before trying to keep Kapanen?

Tanev would play with Rielly and Gudbranson would be on our 3rd pair as Ozhiganov is mainly just in that spot as a plug who we hope doesn't make mistakes.

I'm not so sure I'd be willing to add Kapanen in the deal though. Perhaps that makes it a deal breaker? Would be willing to add mainly any non current NHL forward or pick as we are trying to contend. Can we consider Leivo part of it :laugh:

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad