GDT: Leafs @ Coyotes 9 PM SNO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
Nice to see Gauthier on an offensive line.

Only player in the line-up right now with a .5 or greater face-off rating.

Of course, 2 of his 3 games have been against teams who look like they'll be in the best lottery positions.

Too bad he'll be returned to the Marlies when the team is healthy. It would be nice to see him get a good string of games with the Leafs.

Much rather put Smith on waivers & let Gauthier develop with our young guys in NHL

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Much rather put Smith on waivers & let Gauthier develop with our young guys in NHL

Seconded.

Also Goat drives play better than Smith. I notice Goat out there more often doing things.
I think Goat is getting More ice time as he is already the 3rd line C since bozak went down.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario

Connors Brown's snipe. Guy just does everything really well.

(Nice to hear Mike Johnson on the Arizona feed I guess. NHL Network?. I liked his passion and understanding of the game on sportsnet)

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
If Goat continues this then Babcock will keep him over 'real good pro' Smith for sure. Babcock has shown he's not afraid to cut bait if there's a rookie outperforming a vet. Smith could very well be Michalek'd/ride pine for a while.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Very small sample size but if Gauthier strings together 5-10 more good games, I'd toss Smith on waivers in a heartbeat.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Very small sample size but if Gauthier strings together 5-10 more good games, I'd toss Smith on waivers in a heartbeat.

The size and wingspan on the guy is so impressive. Breaks up a lot of plays with good positioning and by just being big. Like Babcock said, I like the fact he's 6'5" 220 pounds every shift. Does not look out of place out there.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
TML fans some insight if you will.

Lots of discussion on the Coyotes board that Tippett is destroying the development of the young talent and trying to force talented players into checking/plug roles. That his system is archaic and not conducive to success in the modern NHL.

You have watched the Coyotes twice in a week. What are your thoughts on the team (other than they suck)? Is the coach deploying the wrong system for the team? Can his system even work in the current NHL? Is it just a matter of getting NHL calibre centres? Thoughts on Dvorak?

TIA

Caesium

Apr 13, 2006

I like Goat more than Smith, but the expansion draft is going to lead to some less than optimal roster decisions. As it stands now, the Leafs must expose two of Kadri, JVR, Bozak, Komarov, and Martin, because they are the only players that meet the 40/70 and non-expiring contract requirements. Obviously, the Leafs don't want to see any of those players exposed.

The Leafs can get around this by playing Smith 12 more games and Froese 12 more games and then extending their contracts, leaving all of the important players protected.

This means that Goat is likely heading back to the Marlies when Smith returns from injury, at least until Smith and Froese satisfy the 40/70 requirement.

realgoodleafs

Oct 29, 2006
SW Ontario

Connors Brown's snipe. Guy just does everything really well.

(Nice to hear Mike Johnson on the Arizona feed I guess. NHL Network?. I liked his passion and understanding of the game on sportsnet)

Sounds like Mike Johnson but it's Tyson Nash. He was pretty impressed with the 3 studs on the Leafs.

realgoodleafs

Oct 29, 2006
SW Ontario

Lots of discussion on the Coyotes board that Tippett is destroying the development of the young talent and trying to force talented players into checking/plug roles. That his system is archaic and not conducive to success in the modern NHL.

You have watched the Coyotes twice in a week. What are your thoughts on the team (other than they suck)? Is the coach deploying the wrong system for the team? Can his system even work in the current NHL? Is it just a matter of getting NHL calibre centres? Thoughts on Dvorak?

TIA

There is only so much a coach can do with that roster. People are also complaining about Babs treating Nylander that way too.

DopeyFish

Mitchy McDangles
Nov 17, 2009

TIA

I think the coyotes need to drive more offense from their forwards when set in zone.

To me it seemed like the offense was almost purely driven by defense or on rush.

It's really tough to analyze other teams when playing the leafs because the leafs overload either ends up making the other team or themselves look silly.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

TIA

To be honest I liked the look of your team last night. They looked organized and the defense corps was very slick. I mean it was night and day compared to the mess that was the Avalanche the night before

It's just that your forwards weren't dangerous at all. Duclair was the only one doing anything at all. They did have decent forechecking cycling pressure, but not enough skill.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
There is only so much a coach can do with that roster. People are also complaining about Babs treating Nylander that way too.

TIA

To be honest I liked the look of your team last night. They looked organized and the defense corps was very slick. I mean it was night and day compared to the mess that was the Avalanche the night before

It's just that your forwards weren't dangerous at all. Duclair was the only one doing anything at all. They did have decent forechecking cycling pressure, but not enough skill.

They were 3rd worst in CF% last year and last this year with 45 CF%. His system is terrible. Of course you need talent on your team so i wouldn't be too harsh but still. Toronto last year didn't have a stud-lineup either but finished middle-of-the-pack (13th) with 51.3%. We finished dead last year because we couldn't convert into actual goals without stud-players.

I didn't get to watch last nights game but from what I see on the stat-sheet, their system does need remodeling for sure.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
To be fair, that's cherry-picked as the lowest of the low points, with key injuries to major players still on our current roster. Not that it ain't still terribad after adding Bozie and JVR, but just saying.

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen
Look we brought in 5"10 Jonas Enroth and it failed I don't think we are looking for small goalies

I personally think Jimmy Howard will be the guy when he gets bought out because Detroit is NOT exposing Marazek

Maybe one of the Dallas goalies if they get bought out

Or maybe whichever of Calgary's goalies hit free agency

I don't think either will get a starting job because I only see a couple starting spots open and those go to Bishop and MAF

I think you are going to see pretty good goalies have to take backup roles

I was trying to make a joke. Obviously I failed big time.... :-(

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
To be fair, that's cherry-picked as the lowest of the low points, with key injuries to major players still on our current roster. Not that it ain't still terribad after adding Bozie and JVR, but just saying.

It is, but we did run those lines for a couple games. It's just incredible that we could actually live through those games, now we get to watch Marner, Matthews, Nylander, etc

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
hilarious tank job.

thank god we won the lottery to make it worth the lack of honor last year.

you would rather honor and a 10th OA pick every year spinning our wheels? or like almost every elite teams now play horribly and get a top draft talent?

so the leafs should have honor but almost every single other team that tanks has shown it works so we shouldnt do it then

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad