GDT: Leafs @ Coyotes 9 PM SNO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
Dare I say Leafs look like they can make the playoffs this year if they keep it up.

I see no reason why we couldn't knock Boston or Ottawa out of a division spot (the Metro is taking all the Wild Cards).

I think we are better than Boston in basically every way possible. They've been lucky, we've been unlucky. Hopefully, these last two games are a sign that things are changing.

Quarter

The caravan moves on
Mar 3, 2011
Ontario
They have been pelting shots but let's not forget they beat the avs and Coyotes. Prior to that they were 2-7, with losses to the avs and Coyotes.
And those two wins came against Boston and Pittsburgh who are two teams in the playoff picture. Going back further, their previous two wins were against Washington and Edmonton who are also in the playoff picture. You'd probably get a more accurate representation of how good the Leafs are by looking at how they lost rather than their results against certain teams.

Not to mention, saying they're 2-7 is a little disingenuous considering three of those losses went to a shootout and the only 2+ goal loss that didn't include an empty netter was against Calgary way back at the beginning of this 9-game window. Regardless of results they've been in the games down to the wire... which kinda brings me back to what I said about looking at how instead of who.

Sperss1997

Oct 29, 2015
Aarhus
I see no reason why we couldn't knock Boston or Ottawa out of a division spot (the Metro is taking all the Wild Cards).

I think we are better than Boston in basically every way possible. They've been lucky, we've been unlucky. Hopefully, these last two games are a sign that things are changing.

I dont know how they (Bruins) have been lucky, and I get that Leaf forwards have been a bit snakebitten lately, but they were pretty hot coming out of the gates. I find it hard to call a team unlucky when they have been healthy pretty much the entire season so far. Not all teams can say the same.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Boston has top of the league possession and one of the best goalies. They likely won't be any worse than they are now. Ottawa on the other hand has awful underlying numbers and they are ripe for regression.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Dare I say Leafs look like they can make the playoffs this year if they keep it up.

Sure they can, but this team needs a real backup goalie, as good as Andersen is playing him 70 games is a bad idea, playing any goalie 70 games is a bad idea.

But the issue is we don't have a real backup goalie, our backup goals haven't gotten a single win, if anything they have cost us games

So the question is who do you get that can give Andersen a night off? Because Enroth hasn't done it and Bibeau has 1 game experience, sparks is pure garbage and Ramo hasn't exactly lit the AHL on fire.

This team NEEDS someone that can give Andersen a rest

So who is it?

ConnorTO

Jul 20, 2010
Toronto
within the new few years if not this one

it's going to be cool being a leafs fan

believe me

the fact we have our centric young core winning us games in their what
first nhl season ?
spells deadly for the future dynasty

and this isn't a hopeless dream anymore
we have quality draft picks
quality development and the finest management staff around
not to mention that luck aka 20%

shame i don't have all the time in the world anymore

Rick74*

Oct 7, 2016
London, Ont
Why the **** is Matthews 1st star....He had chances, but he only had 1 assist this game.

Because incase you hadn't noticed the narrative tonight, it was all about using Matthews to propel hockey interest in Arizona.

He would have gotten a star tonight if he sneezed.

So don't put too much faith in the way the NHL selects it's 3 stars.

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen
But the issue is we don't have a real backup goalie, our backup goals haven't gotten a single win, if anything they have cost us games

So the question is who do you get that can give Andersen a night off? Because Enroth hasn't done it and Bibeau has 1 game experience, sparks is pure garbage and Ramo hasn't exactly lit the AHL on fire.

This team NEEDS someone that can give Andersen a rest

So who is it?

It is this guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBIxGbJrFY4

You already know him in Toronto. You just have to look over that he is only 5'11 or so :laugh::laugh:

I bet he is cheap.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
It is this guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBIxGbJrFY4

You already know him in Toronto. You just have to look over that he is only 5'11 or so :laugh::laugh:

I bet he is cheap.

Look we brought in 5"10 Jonas Enroth and it failed I don't think we are looking for small goalies

I personally think Jimmy Howard will be the guy when he gets bought out because Detroit is NOT exposing Marazek

Maybe one of the Dallas goalies if they get bought out

Or maybe whichever of Calgary's goalies hit free agency

I don't think either will get a starting job because I only see a couple starting spots open and those go to Bishop and MAF

I think you are going to see pretty good goalies have to take backup roles

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
Game in Six Toronto Maple Leafs - Arizona Coyotes - Dec. 23 2016 :handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap:

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
That was not a good first period but we played a lot better as the game went along, which is weird considering we had played the night before.

Hopefully this is the start of being able to string together wins. We didn't exactly play top teams though, so...

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
That was not a good first period but we played a lot better as the game went along, which is weird considering we had played the night before.

Hopefully this is the start of being able to string together wins. We didn't exactly play top teams though, so...

It was a nice way to go into the break, it's been kind of a disappointing month. I thought they would've picked up some more wins after a strong November and taken advantage of all the home games against bad teams, but it didn't really play out that way. Still, they were competitive and dominated most games, so hopefully their luck will turn. Need to at least split the b2b next week.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
The level of competition taken into consideration, that was a very impressive performance on the road on back to back nights.

Andersen is looking every bit the part of that bonafide starting goaltender we have been lacking for so many years.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other

Very true so we should temper our excitement, but we beat them convincingly like we should have. Coupled with the fact that we beat or play well against top teams in hard fought losses, shows a promising future.
I personally think Bacock will have them stringing together some wins in the second half of the season. Maybe 3 or 5 games I can't see a major 10 game streak, please let me be wrong, but slow sure progression.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Nice to see Gauthier on an offensive line.

Only player in the line-up right now with a .5 or greater face-off rating.

Of course, 2 of his 3 games have been against teams who look like they'll be in the best lottery positions.

Too bad he'll be returned to the Marlies when the team is healthy. It would be nice to see him get a good string of games with the Leafs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad