Post-Game Talk: Leafs come back to get a point

RLF

May 5, 2014
And I understand why, given our team's record against "physical" teams.

As usual, you got me again.

But, since you wanted to define physical play by hits.

You do know that if you take the top 10 teams in the League hits per game...The Leafs record is 10 wins and 10 losses. We have an even record. To take it a little farther. Against 3 of the teams we are 6 wins and 1 loss. Against the other 7, we are 4 wins and 9 losses. I guess we have different versions of dominating those teams that "hit."

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
bang on about what? is there an age limit on players, only 20 something d'man should be allowed to play on the top pair? ridiculous, gtfo lol

Yes Hainsey should be getting more ice time than anyone else. Everyone can see his decline except the coach it seems. See Hunwick, Komarov, Martin etc
PM has been pretty bad for along time, but let's continue to trot him out there on the first line

Wow, some can't even handle a critique of Babcock's decisions - because why, the team is still good? Look who they have in the line-up!?

How about some of these critiques:

1) inability to start on time, no matter how many times they talk about it
2) totally inconsistent efforts from game to game
3) star players appearing disinterested or not engaged on many occassions
4) poor line combinations\dpairings\icetime and deployment decisions.
5) Sagging Power play despite offensive talent, stretch pass? d zone coverage issues?
6) Dont stand up for each other or goaltender
7) Very little progression as a team during the season, team seems to struggle with the same issues over and over again.
8) Down in the third, he'll play his 4th line and/or not use his best players, even double-shift

Last edited:

ToMaLe

Sep 24, 2002
Saskatchewan
there have been fewer rumors of disgruntled players or locker room turmoil than quite a while in Leafs land or anywhere else and Babcock hasn't been pandering to his stars like most coaches. I think he deserves a ton of credit for running a tight ship.
well i guess we think differently, i think he is an ahole. like the old saying goes, once an ahole, always an ahole. wings fans warned us when the leafs signed him. i didnt believe them and was pumped when the leafs signed him, now not so much.

razkaz

Oct 3, 2013
Didn't watch the whole game, did Babcock mix and match the lines again and if so why the f*** does he continue to ice the same lines at the start of the game, trail and then mix it up?

Reactions: ToMaLe

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Yes Hainsey should be getting more ice time than anyone else. Everyone can see his decline except the coach it seems.

The pairings go like this:
  1. Rielly and someone
  2. Muzzin and someone
  3. Gardiner and someone
List of someone below:
  • Zaitsev
  • Hainsey
  • Dermott
  • Oz
  • Holl
Hainsey is 4th among d'men ATOI at even strength

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
The pairings go like this:
  1. Rielly and someone
  2. Muzzin and someone
  3. Gardiner and someone
List of someone below:
  • Zaitsev
  • Hainsey
  • Dermott
  • Oz
  • Holl
Hainsey is 4th among d'men ATOI at even strength

He had more even strength time than Muzzin and Dermott last night. Hainsey led all Leafs in 5v5 TOI in the first period with 7:13 minutes - as they were getting shelled
This is what babcock does and it becomes a pattern until his toys are taken from him, or he has no other choice

araisarena

Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/Ann Arbor
Does it show how egregious those scoring chances are?

Not all scoring chances are equal, and if you score on one shot there is no opportunity for a 2nd. shot.

scoring chances are usually classified by analytics community as Mid danger and high danger chances. Hence "scoring" chances. These aren't shots from the point with no impact. Leafs are fine, they just need to stop icing 2 stinky D men that cant handle the puck

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
As usual, you got me again.

But, since you wanted to define physical play by hits.

You do know that if you take the top 10 teams in the League hits per game...The Leafs record is 10 wins and 10 losses. We have an even record. To take it a little farther. Against 3 of the teams we are 6 wins and 1 loss. Against the other 7, we are 4 wins and 9 losses. I guess we have different versions of dominating those teams that "hit."
Our elite talent must not be very good if you can’t replace a Marleau,Ennis,another forward with players that can forecheck better, display more aggression and still win a skill game or one that becomes a fight for space and time.

bionic

Sep 5, 2009
markham
Binnington played well too for sure. Seemed like Andersen had the more difficult saves in the 1st.
Credit to them, the Blues tired and the Leafs picked it up.

They were the deer in the headlights for most of the first.
Be nice if they could be the headlights once in a while.
The Leafs 36 19 4. They have a top 5 team in the league. With one of the best goal diff. You don't think they ever had other teams in their headlights.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
The Leafs 36 19 4. They have a top 5 team in the league. With one of the best goal diff. You don't think they ever had other teams in their headlights.
Not that I've seen, it's not their style.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Not that I've seen, it's not their style.

I’d say their style is more about easing the foot off the gas instead of putting the hammer down for the kill over having slow starts and being caught like a deer in headlights.

The latter trend is cyclical throughout the season form what I see

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
He had more even strength time than Muzzin and Dermott last night. Hainsey led all Leafs in 5v5 TOI in the first period with 7:13 minutes - as they were getting shelled

This is what babcock does and it becomes a pattern until his toys are taken from him, or he has no other choice

Sure, Hainsey is our most reliable defensive d'man, the Blues were all over the Leafs in the first period, it makes sense to play him a lot in the first period. Hainsey plays on the top pair so it makes sense that he played more than Muzzin and Dermott last night.

Dermott is a 3rd pairing d'man, hopefully, he can make the jump to 2nd pair next season.

RLF

May 5, 2014
Our elite talent must not be very good if you can’t replace a Marleau,Ennis,another forward with players that can forecheck better, display more aggression and still win a skill game or one that becomes a fight for space and time.

You'd think it would work that way. But no need for it.
Because if you take the teams with the 10 lowest hits per game (other than us at #3) we are 10 wins 6 losses and 1 tie. Compared to the 10 teams that hit the most, where we are 10W and 10L. Wait, what? that can't be right:huh:
Hey, I'm not as smart as those that know we do very well, if not dominate the teams that hit a lot. But it would seem we do better against teams that don't hit a lot compared to ones that do. Our W/L record is even more balanced against the teams that do not hit a lot. Just a False Narrative though. Don't let our W/L record sway you.;)

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
You'd think it would work that way. But no need for it.
Because if you take the teams with the 10 lowest hits per game (other than us at #3) we are 10 wins 6 losses and 1 tie. Compared to the 10 teams that hit the most, where we are 10W and 10L. Wait, what? that can't be right:huh:
Hey, I'm not as smart as those that know we do very well, if not dominate the teams that hit a lot. But it would seem we do better against teams that don't hit a lot compared to ones that do. Our W/L record is even more balanced against the teams that do not hit a lot. Just a False Narrative though. Don't let our W/L record sway you.;)
I’ll let the playoff record sway me.

Reactions: RedRenegade

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
actually that 25gm stretch was an unnecessary cherry pick.

we can look at the whole season, and see that tampa's only real advantage over the leafs is special teams.

Even Strength

TBL: +41gls, 56.8% goals (#3), 52.7% chances (#6), 51.3% corsi (#8), 10.5sh% (#3), 91.8sv% (#7)
TOR: +38gls, 56.2% goals (#4), 52.3% chances (#7), 51.1% corsi (#10), 11.1sh% (#1), 92.0sv% (#6)

Special Teams

TOR: 59gms, +3 goals, 12.4ppsh% (#24), 87.1pksv% (#13)
TBL: 61gms, +36 goals, 21.8ppsh% (#1), 90.5pksv% (#1)

Whatever their advantage is, it's clear and substantial and you know what - I don't even need to peruse through all kinds of stats to see what makes sense, all I need to do is look at the standings to know it's true.

TB 61 games, 96 points
Us 59 games, 76 points.

See how easy that was? At this point in time, we're closer to missing the playoffs then we are to TB so not sure why people are spending their time comparing ourselves to a team that's vastly superior to us.

Reactions: dsred and SAMCRO44

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
Whatever their advantage is, it's clear and substantial and you know what - I don't even need to peruse through all kinds of stats to see what makes sense, all I need to do is look at the standings to know it's true.

TB 61 games, 96 points
Us 59 games, 76 points.

See how easy that was? At this point in time, we're closer to missing the playoffs then we are to TB so not sure why people are spending their time comparing ourselves to a team that's vastly superior to us.

Everyone is.

HomerJLeafs

i just hope we make the POs
Dec 27, 2017
It was interesting hear Chris Johnston speculate between periods that Babcock would love to trade defenses with the Blues.

Still have to wonder if a Nylander for Colton Parayko deal was ever on the table or discussed during Willy's holdout and Blues struggles.

Colton is a stud and would've looked great on the Leafs D.
Im glad i wasnt the only one who caught Johnstons comments.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Everything is awesome, everything is cool when your part of a team
Everything is awesome, when you're living out a dream ;)

tenor.gif

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad