Pittsburgh 2-1-0
Edmonton 0-0-0
NY Islanders 0-1-0
NY Rangers 1-1-0
Los Angeles 2-0-0
Arizona 0-2-0
Boston 1-2-0
Total: 12-8-0 (.600 winning percentage)

Other Teams: 24-11-4 (.667 winning percentage)
And which of those teams are they likely to meet in the playoffs?

Tampa Bay 1-1-0
Pittsburgh 2-1-0
NY Islanders 0-1-0
Boston 1-2-0

Now it's 4-5-0. (.444 winning percentage) Not quite so positive.

Reactions: Legendary

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's

Tampa Bay 1-1-0
Pittsburgh 2-1-0
NY Islanders 0-1-0
Boston 1-2-0

Never positioned it positively. In fact, it’s worse that their record against teams outside the top-10 in hits.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
just thought it was funny that you said "only wins and losses matter" then immediat3ly dived into talking about something other than wins.

I'm pretty sure everyone followed that context except I guess you.

Except I never said that, you made it up. There's your context.

I'll work on my posting technique for you going forward.

That would be nice.

look at the post before mine.

You earlier said you can't be bothered going back to dig up posts made earlier, but now you want me to back without even saying which post you were referring to. Here's a tip for you Zeke - you know how to use the quote function, just use it in the future instead of sending people on wild goose chases.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Not really. Mike's goal is to win the playoffs. The regular season is an audition for the playoffs.

Dermott in his first full year. Z sucks. Hainsey is his most reliable RHD and Rielly is most comfortable with him. Now if you get him a better option, perhaps it pushes Hainsey down.

Disagree. Dubas knows what they need, and undermining your GM, your boss, by trying to force his hand. That's crazy. Especially when it's so hard to find a trading partner these days.
Playing inferior players to make a statement. Total dick move and he should be fired if that's the case

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Disagree. Dubas knows what they need, and undermining your GM, your boss, by trying to force his hand. That's crazy. Especially when it's so hard to find a trading partner these days.
Playing inferior players to make a statement. Total dick move and he should be fired if that's the case
I really don't believe that's true. The logical explanation is that Babcock is simply playing Hainsey because he's comfortable with him on the ice. And that goes perfectly in hand with Babcock's history of playing limited but reliable players too many minutes.

Reactions: Shanty and ACC1224

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

Coaches are not angels but who knows if Barnaby is right or not. What if Dubas refuses because he is bullish on Hainsey and Z ?

What I do know is that Babs has sent messages and put pressure on Dubas through the media. For example commenting that Muzzin was great but he is not a RHD and how many times has he talked about this team needing to play heavy? Also what about his comments about Nylander signing before the fact?

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Coaches are not angels but who knows if Barnaby is right or not. What if Dubas refuses because he is bullish on Hainsey and Z ?

What I do know is that Babs has sent messages and put pressure on Dubas through the media. For example commenting that Muzzin was great but he is not a RHD and how many times has he talked about this team needing to play heavy? Also what about his comments about Nylander signing before the fact?

Yeah not a fan of all that
I don't think Dubas would have made the move for Muzzin if he really thought this d was fine. But who knows. Maybe the next few days tell all. I'm really frustrated with babcock lately though. He doesn't seem to want to play to his team's strengths but instead, what he think the team should be

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
I really don't believe that's true. The logical explanation is that Babcock is simply playing Hainsey because he's comfortable with him on the ice. And that goes perfectly in hand with Babcock's history of playing limited but reliable players too many minutes.

That's probably the case. I just hope when the playoffs roll around, Hainey and PM have moved down the line-up

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Yeah not a fan of all that
I don't think Dubas would have made the move for Muzzin if he really thought this d was fine. But who knows. Maybe the next few days tell all. I'm really frustrated with babcock lately though. He doesn't seem to want to play to his team's strengths but instead, what he think the team should be

I agree with the frustration with Babs but I take a step back and will wait to see what he does in the playoffs. If his best players are his best players and he limits their minutes and loses in round 1, then he will have lots of explaining to do.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
That's probably the case. I just hope when the playoffs roll around, Hainey and PM have moved down the line-up

I would like to see how this team performs w/o PM in the lineup but that would take an injury. My hope is that he shows up in the playoffs as he did last year.

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
That's about as likely as me getting a date with Sofia Vergara. Not gonna happen.

Because Babcock gonna Babcock.

RLF

May 5, 2014

Tampa Bay 1-1-0
Pittsburgh 2-1-0
NY Islanders 0-1-0
Boston 1-2-0

This started when someone posted adamantly (in caps) "STOP POSTING FALSE NARRATIVES" that the Leafs struggle when teams hit a lot, in response to me posting the Blues showed in the 1st period how a team can physically dominate the Leafs.

Then I posted this...and crickets from those who insisted it is a False narrative and had cherry picked our record against only certain teams.

"You do know that if you take the top 10 teams in the League hits per game...The Leafs record is 10 wins and 10 losses. We have an even record. To take it a little farther. Against 3 of the teams we are 6 wins and 1 loss. Against the other 7, we are 4 wins and 9 losses. I guess we have different versions of dominating those teams that "hit.""

On top of this, I noted.

We are 10-6-1 against the 10 teams with the least hits per game.

Record against teams in top 10 hits per game
6 are in playoff positions.(2 more barely outside)
10-10
.500 win%
82 pt pace. missing the playoffs by a lot

Record against the 10 teams with lowest hits per game (other than us)
5 (including us) in playoff positions.(1 barely outside)
10-6-1
.590 win%
101 pt pace. Easily in the playoffs

The real "FALSE NARRATIVE" is those who claim we do well or even dominate teams that hit a lot.

Last edited:
Reactions: notDatsyuk

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
This started when someone said posted adamantly (in caps) "STOP POSTING FALSE NARRATIVES" that the Leafs struggle when teams hit a lot, in response to me posting the Blues showed in the 1st period how a team can physically dominate the Leafs.

Then I posted this...and crickets from those who insisted it is a False narrative and had cherry picked our record against only certain teams.

"You do know that if you take the top 10 teams in the League hits per game...The Leafs record is 10 wins and 10 losses. We have an even record. To take it a little farther. Against 3 of the teams we are 6 wins and 1 loss. Against the other 7, we are 4 wins and 9 losses. I guess we have different versions of dominating those teams that "hit.""

On top of this, I noted.

We are 10-6-1 against the 10 teams with the least hits per game.

Record against teams in top 10 hits per game
6 are in playoff positions.(2 more barely outside)
10-10
.500 win%
82 pt pace. missing the playoffs by a lot

Record against the 10 teams with lowest hits per game (other than us)
5 (including us) in playoff positions.(1 barely outside)
10-6-1
.590 win%
101 pt pace. Easily in the playoffs

The real "FALSE NARRATIVE" is those who claim we do well or even dominate teams that hit a lot.

I was surprised that Flames were below us in hits/games. That team has size and is always physical when I watch them. Bennett has a nasty edge that makes Naz look like a choir boy. If I recall they smothered the Leafs in a win at SBA.

RLF

May 5, 2014
I was surprised that Flames were below us in hits/games. That team has size and is always physical when I watch them. Bennett has a nasty edge that makes Naz look like a choir boy. If I recall they smothered the Leafs in a win at SBA.

Yea, surprised me about the Flames as well. They tend to be right on top of you throughout the game.
The original point I was trying to make, is that the Leafs can be dominated physically. I didn't necessarily mean hitting. It was hitting that was thrown back at me is a false narrative. It has been pretty obvious that we struggle when teams are right on top of us, giving us no room and physically dominating us in puck battles, net front in both ends and in cycles. The other area we struggle, is in-game adjustments when the stretch pass is being taken away. If people can't see this...

Reactions: SAMCRO44

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Yea, surprised me about the Flames as well. They tend to be right on top of you throughout the game.
The original point I was trying to make, is that the Leafs can be dominated physically. I didn't necessarily mean hitting. It was hitting that was thrown back at me is a false narrative. It has been pretty obvious that we struggle when teams are right on top of us, giving us no room and physically dominating us in puck battles, net front in both ends and in cycles. The other area we struggle, is in-game adjustments when the stretch pass is being taken away. If people can't see this...

I agree with you. I believe it was O'Dog who yesterday said, if teams get tough with the Leafs, the Leafs disappear.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
The problem is that 'hits' aren't necessarily an indication of physical play. After the first period, they showed a graphic that said the Leafs outhit the Blues 6-4. I don't think anyone who watched that period would say the Leafs were the more physical team.

Reactions: RLF and ToneDog

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Ah, yes. The proponents of the Non-Aggression Hockey League always seem to reframe the discussion into meaning that physicality = skatey-punchy.

RLF

May 5, 2014
I agree with you. I believe it was O'Dog who yesterday said, if teams get tough with the Leafs, the Leafs disappear.

We tried the one game vs Boston, and the Bruins still took the win easily. We all know the physical play ramps up in the playoffs, despite those who will refute it. For instance, last years regular season leader in hits per game was at 26.5. In the playoffs only 2 teams had a lower hits per game than the top team in the regular season. Most teams had 6-10 more hits per game in the playoffs.
We have enough skill in the regular season to capitalize enough to pick up points. The post season is in question. We are what we are...unless moves are made because I don't see the DNA in most of our guys to turn that part of the game on when playoff time arrives. It's why Hyman is so effective in the playoffs imo. Hope I am wrong and will give full credit if our guys ramp it up and play through it, but I haven't seen us do it yet.

Reactions: ToneDog

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->