Tribute Leafs clinch a playoff spot.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Definitely not taking it for granted qualifying with ease for essentially a decade. I remember getting in by the skin of our teeth vs Pittsburgh. And the days of not controlling our own destiny. f*** that

Yep. I think part of the fanbase has taken for granted the ease in which the team has had in making the playoffs for such a long time.

It's obviously also fair to be angry at the black of wins in the post season, but things could still be a lot worse. It's not hard for teams to slip and become a playoff bubble team (ie ask how much fun it's been being a Sabres fan for the last almost decade)

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
giphy.gif

Win a round
Win a Participation Trophy!

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Yep. I think part of the fanbase has taken for granted the ease in which the team has had in making the playoffs for such a long time.

It's obviously also fair to be angry at the black of wins in the post season, but things could still be a lot worse. It's not hard for teams to slip and become a playoff bubble team (ie ask how much fun it's been being a Sabres fan for the last almost decade)

It's strange to look back on the black hole decade when making the playoffs was so unachievable. Whatever happens in the future, that level of franchise incompetence can't be allowed to happen again.

AvroArrow

69 for Papi
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
If the Leafs play like they did last year, we win in 6. If they play how they've been playing this year, we win in 5. Would need a huge collapse to lose this one.

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
I really hope Leafs finally slay the playoff dragon and advance. There’s already lotsa posters guaranteeing the Leafs will lose in round one. Be nice to piss the haters off for once.

Reactions: Cleetus

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
I really hope Leafs finally slay the playoff dragon and advance. There’s already lotsa posters guaranteeing the Leafs will lose in round one. Be nice to piss the haters off for once.
So which do you care about most pissing other people off or the Leafs winning……..just curious

Westlander

the olden time
Aug 31, 2004
The Netherlands

It is something of a paradox where both the team and fanbase are at the moment. The Leafs have enviable talent but remain a laughingstock; this extends to us the fans who have arguably become both spoiled as well as deprived.

Reactions: Menzinger

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Very trivial, but who knew back in 2002 that the blood bath Islander series would be the last time Leafs beat an American team in the playoffs? Wow. Back then, Leafs were also getting in the playoffs with ease. I don’t remember “celebrating” a clinch. But again, online discussion boards such as these were just in their infancy.

MSZ

Car guy
Oct 5, 2014
Scarborough
Very trivial, but who knew back in 2002 that the blood bath Islander series would be the last time Leafs beat an American team in the playoffs? Wow. Back then, Leafs were also getting in the playoffs with ease. I don’t remember “celebrating” a clinch. But again, online discussion boards such as these were just in their infancy.
Imagine if Sundin never went down because of injury in that playoff run. By the time they reached the ECF Roberts already had nothing left in the tank.

LeafsFan89

Jan 2, 2011

I think what has most fans (at least me) upset is not necessarily losing in the first round, but how the Leafs lost those series (perhaps the recent Tampa Bay series aside).

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Clinching a playoff spot is enough for some Leaf fans to call it a successful season, when I see that as the low bar minimum requirement achievement level.

The playoffs is all that really matters for diehard fans.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad