Speculation: Leafs Center's Moving Fwd Post the 13-14 Season

Hero

Uncle Leo
Jul 2, 2009
heropuck.wordpress.com
Bolland thing is such a mess. Our C situation is so weird.

Bozak - 2nd line C, playing in 1st line C role, getting paid 2nd line C money
Kadri - streaky 2nd line C, playing 2nd line role, looking for high end 2nd line money
Bolland - injury proned 3rd line C, playing 3rd line role, looking for high end 2nd line money
Holland - not sure what we have, playing all over the place or not playing at all, cheap
Kulemin - 2nd/3rd line winger, can play a 3rd line role, no idea what he's looking for

Imo it's pretty messy right now. Bozak isn't going to get bumped out of his line with JvR and Kessel. It's hard to know how things shake out with Kadri/Bolland/Holland/Kulie

ShameOnYouZidlicky

Jun 4, 2010
If we can't get Bolland to under $4million or under 3 years, we say goodbye and let Holland be our 3C. If we can sign him to something like 3.75 for 3 years, make him our 3C and let D'amigo, Holland, Ashton and Leivo battle it out for the 3LW position. Holland would also be our 5th centre in case of injury (assuming McClement is signed).

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto

Kadri - streaky 2nd line C, playing 2nd line role, looking for high end 2nd line money
Bolland - injury proned 3rd line C, playing 3rd line role, looking for high end 2nd line money
Holland - not sure what we have, playing all over the place or not playing at all, cheap
Kulemin - 2nd/3rd line winger, can play a 3rd line role, no idea what he's looking for

Imo it's pretty messy right now. Bozak isn't going to get bumped out of his line with JvR and Kessel. It's hard to know how things shake out with Kadri/Bolland/Holland/Kulie

1) Bozak is a great #1 C. His production and the line's production increased when he came back on that line.
2) Kadri and the 2nd line is producing at a 2nd line pace. They are fine.
3) Bolland will get Calrkson money out on the open market no problem. He will stay for 4.5 mill.
4) Kulemin will get 3 mill tops.

ALL valuable players the Leafs cannot replace with UFA's.

MastuhNinks

Apr 30, 2011
The Iron Throne
Disregard picks, acquire Stastny.

Seriously though, he's having a fantastic bounceback season and would fit in great with this team. That said, I think he'll re-sign with Colorado.

If we can't retain Bolland, I have no issue with either Holland or Kulemin being a #3C.
He would?

So do we disrupt one of the best lines in hockey, ruin Kadri by moving him to #3C or pay him $6M+ to play on the 3rd line?

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010
I'm pretty convinced that signing Bolland to any deal longer than one year would be a risk not worth taking.

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
Bozak will stay on the 1st line.

If we sign Bolland I would like to keep him on the 3rd and Kadri on the 2nd. We can shelter Kadri so he isn't overwhelmed by defensive assignments or at the dot.

If we don't sign Bolland, I'm open to trading Kadri.

The problem is, Bolland isn't great on faceoffs. Neither is Kadri, McClement, and for some reason (this season anyways) Bozak.

Considering what Bolland is demanding (i.e. minimum $4.5M), it's not worth it.

Vexed

Magic Marner
Feb 4, 2011
Barrie
Either Bolland at a good rate or going with Holland.

Bozak stays on the 1st line and it becomes a make or break year for Kadri imo

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
Mike Santorelli is a UFA who can likely provide what Bolland is supposed to provide at a much cheaper rate.

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
bozak
kadri
holland (kulemin if he is hurt, shown he can play center)
mcclement(resign for under 2 mill)

imo we will trade franson give a kid on the farm a chance there goes some cap space, reimer might get traded as well... bolland can walk but thats ok, have holland and kadri compete for the 2nd line duties... 2 young guys wanting to play top 6 minutes.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
No. Holland plays a much better north-south game and kadri plays a more gritty east-west game. I was banking on them being near equivalence next year. I also think that Kadri will start to turn into a Bolland relatively soon.
I think Holland and Lupul would mesh better with each other for that reason as well. With someone like Holland playing a strong North-South game, it wouldn't hurt to see him given a chance to play with Lupul. Being a one-line team despite having so much offensive potential is just sad.

Moreover, the Kadri - Kulemin pair is very effective, and I feel that should be maintained long-term. Eventually, we're going to return to the days when he was playing with Grabo.

I also think we should be trying to field three offensively productive lines. It's going to help in the playoffs which is an attrition-based competition.

JVR - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Holland - Clarkson?
? - Kadri - Kulemin
Ashton - McClement - Brodie

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
I haven't given up on the Paul Stastny dream. Just because Bozak and Kadri are playing well doesn't mean we cant have 3 top 6 Cs... in fact most great teams have that type of depth down the middle. Even With Malkin, Crosby and Suter the pens were rumoured to be making a strong push for Ryan Kesler. If you think Bolland is good defensively well Stastny is on another level. Hes also the type of guy you are concerned about giving a long term deal too... He would help our defensive side of the game a ton, he's miles ahead of Kadri. Bolland at 4 or Stastny at 6-7... Its not even a question for me. Imagine a 3rd line of Kulemin-Stastny-Clarkson or if you have Kulemin on the second you can have Damigo their... Let Raymond go for the cap room.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
I haven't given up on the Paul Stastny dream. Just because Bozak and Kadri are playing well doesn't mean we cant have 3 top 6 Cs... in fact most great teams have that type of depth down the middle. Even With Malkin, Crosby and Suter the pens were rumoured to be making a strong push for Ryan Kesler. If you think Bolland is good defensively well Stastny is on another level. Hes also the type of guy you are concerned about giving a long term deal too... He would help our defensive side of the game a ton, he's miles ahead of Kadri. Bolland at 4 or Stastny at 6-7... Its not even a question for me. Imagine a 3rd line of Kulemin-Stastny-Clarkson or if you have Kulemin on the second you can have Damigo their... Let Raymond go for the cap room.
That would be pretty impressive. I would think that Stastny, if acquired, would probably be given a shot-first skilled forward like Lupul. I also feel that Kulemin plays much better with Kadri as well.

JVR - Bozak - Kessel ( Top scoring)
Holland - Stastny - Clarkson ( Shut down line)
Lupul - Kadri - Kulemin ( Depth Scoring)

Lethal Top 9. I'm not sure if we'd be able to retain Kulemin, though.

The Caveman

We are all the goat
Jan 14, 2007
Montreal, PQ
Holland has shown that he is a solid all around center. Needs to work on his face-offs, but he is definitely top 9 material. I could see him slotting in #3. Moving forward, if he shows that he has as much offensive upside as kadri, then that would make kadri a tradeable asset.

I think Kule is a better option that Bolland. Hurt less and will be cheaper.

JVR-Boz-Kessel
Lupul-Kadri-Clarkson
Leivo/D'Amigo-Holland-Kulemin
Komo-McClem-Ashton/Bodie
Orr

King85Kong

Playoffs?
Nov 24, 2013
Toronto
Would go with:

Bozak-Kadri-Holland-McClement

Looks good to me. Don't have much money to spare with the need to upgrade our defense, so think Bolland might be to much money. Bad contracts come back to bite us.

JVR-Bozak-Kessel
Lupul-Kadri-Kulemin
Komarov-Holland-Clarkson
Ashton-McClement-Bodie
Orr

Last edited:

Stu

Nov 20, 2008
Raleigh, NC
I would really like us to try bozak, kadri, kulemin, holland. Saves us the money to go hard for a high level dman to play on the second line which is our most pressing issue.

Durkin67

Re-sign Kulemin and have him as the 3C (since he's been doing well there) or re-sign Kulemin and put him as the 2RW and have Holland as the 3C.

That is, if Bolland doesn't back down from his ridiculous $5M/yr demand.

It's not the 5M I'm sweating, it's the ridiculous term that's making me scratch my head...

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
For me it all hinges on what Bolland signs for, or even if he signs.

Domenic Moore is a great 1 year stop gap. This is really wishful thinking, but if Gauthier can be ready at 20, he has the size to play in the NHL.

Then we can go Bozak(29), Kadri(25), Gauthier(20) in a projected 2 years.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
No. Holland plays a much better north-south game and kadri plays a more gritty east-west game. I was banking on them being near equivalence next year. I also think that Kadri will start to turn into a Bolland relatively soon.

Yeah...you're going to need to expand on both of those statements.

Like a lot lol

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada

It's really not that messy. Only real issue is the third line center spot.

Anyone who thinks Kadri is gone, is nuts. The guy is developing just fine, and we don't know what he wants, because we have him for a full season after this one at a cost controlled price of 2.9 million dollars.

How about, and here's a crazy idea, worry about Kadri's cost when it's an issue. Because right now, it's not.

Very likely Bolland isn't signed, and Holland moves to the 3C spot.

Top 3 spots figured out. Pretty simple actually

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad