GDT: Leafs @ Caps 4/24

Status
Not open for further replies.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Na, the goaltending cost them the game. They shouldn’t have even been in that position. They were skating circles around Toronto for most of the game until Vanecek gave them life with that horrible second goal. The third goal was just as bad.
Yup. Vitek crumbled under pressure. The 2nd goal was just slow reaction and a poor read. You play the percentages and prevent being scored on the near post. At vet goalie would force the shooter to at least beat him with a great shot in the far corner. On the 3rd Leafs goal, just poor awareness and post to post movement. I think Vitek even lost his stick on that one too. In that situation, you have to have your goalie stick at the ready for a sweep-check or a paddle-down technique. Vitek was late coming to his post.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
This game pissed me off because after Ovy went down there was no payback. We'll probably never play the Leafs again this year. Now teams will just take shots the rest of the way.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
That was a fine game. Goalie stank. I hope the goalies don’t stink in the playoffs.

I hope Ovechkin is ok. Rest him until next week just in case.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
This game pissed me off because after Ovy went down there was no payback. We'll probably never play the Leafs again this year. Now teams will just take shots the rest of the way.

It was an accident, who are they supposed to jump? A backup goalie? If he went down after a questionable hit or a cheap shot, they would have to deal with the consequences for sure.

Reactions: pman25 and Peeri

RVACapsFan

May 31, 2018
Don’t think the Ovi injury is serious. He wouldn’t have been able to move his arm like he did immediately after if it was a collarbone. I suspect he’ll sit until G1 of the playoffs, as he should

OV Rocks

Jan 5, 2014
Beach with Beer
My take away from this game - the playoffs are going to be a damn roller coaster. This team will go as far as goaltending takes them (which probably isn't very far), and it seems like in the room they know that.

They can play great hockey against amazing teams but get their balls busted by bad goaltending.

Maybe not even bad goaltending because they make saves they shouldn't, like Marner's 2 on 1 shot in OT, but then break the teams back with a goal that needs to be saved.

Their run in 2018, Holtby made every save he needed to make, never really any backbreaking goals.

Reactions: PlushMinus

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
I remember game 7 against the Bolts during the cup run and how they kept coming at us after we went up 1-0. They peppered holtby, quality shots, one after another. And Holts just sat there calmly making saves after saves. That's what it takes to win the cup. And these two goalies just don't have it. They'd have let in 10 goals.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
That 2nd goal... so bad from MoJo, Backstrom and so cheap from Vanecek. This was his chance to shine against a good team (on a b2b though) and he crumbled.

Our season is over if Ovie isn't 100% when Playoffs begin. We should just give few guys the rest they need and give CMM and other guys few games.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
That 2nd goal... so bad from MoJo, Backstrom and so cheap from Vanecek. This was his chance to shine against a good team (on a b2b though) and he crumbled.

Our season is over if Ovie isn't 100% when Playoffs begin. We should just give few guys the rest they need and give CMM and other guys few games.
I wanted them already resting….last 2 games should mean nothing to their playoff mentality. Rest, let the young guys knock the dust off a few games…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad