News: Leafs cap - Dubas: We can, and we will keep all our 4 top F

Status
Not open for further replies.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Thing is the team isn’t going to win with that D. They averaged 4 goals against a game in that bruins series. Tavares isn’t going to help with that.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
That defense isn't very good. It's full of question marks. Zaitsev isn't a top pairing dman and most likely won't be one, liljegren probably won't be a top 4 defender by that time and dermott has the same concern. It would help if they had another top 4 blue liner in there but they would probably have to trade one of their big forwards to get one, which negates this entire idea in the first place.
they will add some one for this season. I like where they are at. Say they add a Tanev/Myers etc type for this season then they have that Russian Ozhiganov (sp?) who plays a D 1st RHD game. I have a feeling that is a name many will get to know over the season

islandersdynasty

May 26, 2018
Fairfax, VA
If by improvement you mean expensive support pieces from free agency, then absolutely that’s true.

Fortunately the side effect of this is it means they’ll have to give preference for younger, cheaper prospects for support roles, something hey probably should be doing anyways

They need help on D, which is what I meant.

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
Literally no one has said they can't sign all their big players and fit under the cap

People are saying their defense is pretty mediocre and their money is currently all going to their offense

Can that be solved via trade or FA? Sure. But good defensemen are notoriously difficult to trade for or sign. It's much easier to find forwards.

I know you will all point to Pittsburg but I still think they had a stronger D and they had a much better goalie. Plus Crosby and Malkin are stronger down the middle than Matthews and Tavares.

Look are the Leafs a great young team? Absolutely. Can they make the cap work? definitely. But at this point their defense prevents them from being cup favorites and adding Tavares makes fixing that possibly more complicated.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
I ti s not only the cap will be used mostly for Mathews, Marner and Nylander. It is the length of the deals that will tie up the cap hit for 5 to 7 or 8 years. Yes they are young and worth the years of control. but it still takes a lot of cap space which limits upgrades on D or goalie. Not sold on the goalie.

1dreamof1cup

Jan 9, 2016
Leafs will be a powerhouse for the foreseeable future, just being able to run 2 elite franchise centres down the middle in Tavares-Matthews alone guarantees this in the same way it's guaranteed it for the Penguins with Crosby-Malkin. Interchange players on their wings its still going to be a great team. This is the beauty in having such incredible centre depth in this league.

I agree the Leafs will be able to maintain this forward core (Matthews, Tavares, Marner, Nylander) apparently Tavares asked GM Dubas what his plans were to keep the core together during their 2 hour meeting and it was a condition of his because he wants to play with a strong supporting cast..something he's never had in NYI. So I trust the management.

People just like to stir up conspiracies and fake problems because lets face it, tons of people are salty that the Leafs signed a star UFA, especially after years of everyone telling us no big name stars would ever sign here. Its the same way they've stirred up the fake story of there being a rift between Babcock and Matthews because he visited him in Arizona. When in actuality he also visited Andersen in Denmark and that's just how he is, a coach that wants to maintain relationships with his players on and off the ice.. its the same reason he's the only coach that goes up the stands to talk to the parents of players we draft on the draft floor.
The pittsburgh model has 2 generational centers. Leafs dont have that.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
I wouldn't say cap hell. Its just that this is your team.

Upgrading the defense and depth is very difficult. Elc wingers will have to play valuable minutes. And any bad contract will cause immediate problems.

Cap hell isn't not being able to fit the core players. Its about losing flexibility and the risk of turning into Chicago where they have to trade their good players away. If drafting falls off you're done

Reactions: sharks9

cipher

Jun 24, 2016
Seems like a thread for the Leaf forum.

Why? It's largely comprised of non-Leaf fans commenting on our supposed CAP HELL situation when they know very little about the cap situation for our team and two have ignored the numerous posts outlining how we are going to have no problems retaining our upcoming RFA's.

This seems to be the perfect place for angry/bitter/jealous fans to project their feelings about this team.

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
Who are the misinformed bunch who thought we can’t keep our core together...Lol clueless bunch.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
they will add some one for this season. I like where they are at. Say they add a Tanev/Myers etc type for this season then they have that Russian Ozhiganov (sp?) who plays a D 1st RHD game. I have a feeling that is a name many will get to know over the season
I'm pretty sure the Russia guy won't even play a game for the leafs this season. He won't amount to much either, capping out as a bottom pairing dman

frederixx

Dec 5, 2005
I’d rather have Habs defense. You can’t win with the one you’ve listed for 2020.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Pittsburgh paid their top 4 forwards 30.25m when the cap was 71.4m.

The Leafs will be paying their top 4 forwards approx 37m (should be less) for an ~87m cap (conservative estimate).

That means Pittsburgh won twice with 42% of their cap tied up in four forwards and Toronto cant win at all with 42% of their cap tied up for their four?

Pittsburgh had a much better top 4. Leafs need to stop comparing Tavares/Matthews to Crosby/Malkin

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I have no idea why people are acting like we can't fit this roster under the cap next season. We'll likely be unable to add any significant assets, that's true, but we can easily run our current roster for the next two seasons under the cap. We just have to apply all the bonuses to the cap this year. And we'll have to run a young dcore season after this one and hope for the best, but once Marleau and Horton's contracts are over, we're free from worries over the cap. Likely works out to something like this:

16.2 M cap space
-7M Nylander's new contract
+2M Matthews/Marner ELCs coming off the books
-11M Matthews' new contract
-8M Marner's new contract
-Leivo/Carrick/McBackup replaced by equal cost players
+7M letting Hainsey & Gardiner go to UFA
-2M Liljegren and Rosen/UFA replacing Hainsey/Gardiner
+1M Kapanen's ELC gone
-2-2.5M Kapanen's new contract
+2M cap raise
--------
Comes to 2M over the cap, but with Horton's 5.3M LTIR contract, we're still left with 3.3M in wiggle room.

So there's the math, add 1M each to our 3 young forwards if you're hoping they sign for more, but we're still good cap wise. This would likely be our 2019-2020 roster

[SPOIL]Marleau-Matthews-Nylander
Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Johnsson-Kadri-Kapanen
Grundstrom-Lindholm-Brown

Rielly-Zaitsev
Dermott-Liljegren
A mix of Rosen/Marincin/Holl/Borgman/UFA

So obviously in 2019-2020 our D is going to be weak but we'll be betting on it just needing to get the puck out of the zone to let the forwards do their work, so considering it's filled with PMDs it shouldn't be too harmful.
[/SPOIL]
So, tell me why I'm wrong and why we're destined for cap hell unless we trade Nylander/Marner to your team for peanuts :D
How do you plan on starting the season without Horton on LTIR to get the full benefit.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
By next year, Jets could have:

Scheifele - 6.1
Laine - 11
Ehlers - 6
Wheeler - 9

Then on D

Buff - 7.6
Trouba - 8
Morrissey - 8

Of all teams, not sure why a Jets fan would be making comments!

The clue is in his username. As unabashed as they come.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Leafs will be a powerhouse for the foreseeable future, just being able to run 2 elite franchise centres down the middle in Tavares-Matthews alone guarantees this in the same way it's guaranteed it for the Penguins with Crosby-Malkin. Interchange players on their wings its still going to be a great team. This is the beauty in having such incredible centre depth in this league.

I agree the Leafs will be able to maintain this forward core (Matthews, Tavares, Marner, Nylander) apparently Tavares asked GM Dubas what his plans were to keep the core together during their 2 hour meeting and it was a condition of his because he wants to play with a strong supporting cast..something he's never had in NYI. So I trust the management.

People just like to stir up conspiracies and fake problems because lets face it, tons of people are salty that the Leafs signed a star UFA, especially after years of everyone telling us no big name stars would ever sign here. Its the same way they've stirred up the fake story of there being a rift between Babcock and Matthews because he visited him in Arizona. When in actuality he also visited Andersen in Denmark and that's just how he is, a coach that wants to maintain relationships with his players on and off the ice.. its the same reason he's the only coach that goes up the stands to talk to the parents of players we draft on the draft floor.

I'm glad the Leafs were able to promise they can keep the core together

Aintboutdatlyfe

Oct 21, 2017
Sure they may be NHLers, remains to be seen if they turn out more than 4th line/bottom pairing D, which was my point.

None are anywhere close to proven which could lead to some serious depth issues.

They are already more than 4th line/bottom pairing players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad