Pre-Game Talk: Leafs @ Canucks Dec 18 - POSTPONED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
All viruses evolve into more transmissible but milder variants over time. That’s happened in every viral pandemic to date including the 1918/19 Spanish flu pandemic.

Yes, but most viruses have a biological drive towards this; by the time they can spread to new hosts, their current host is suffering from symptoms, so if the virus kills the host quickly, they only have a short time to jump hosts. Covid isn't like that; it can jump hosts before symptoms start to show, so it doesn't have that biological drive to become less deadly over time.

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
I get it, you guys can keep worrying about a virus that has a 99.9% survival rate.

Now do what percent of the survivors look to be permanently crippled for life from the damage this thing does to the body, especially when you're not vaccinated.

DutchHockeyGuy

Mar 8, 2007
They just announced a new more strict lockdown here tonight. Was hoping the Leafs would provide some relief from the boredom, but unfortunately not. Hope our boys recover well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Westlander

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Well, all of us non-millionaire athletes only get tested when we have symptoms. We are probably constantly surrounded by asymptomatic covid carriers. Same with the immunocompromised people you mentioned.
In my opinion the system is pretty lax. Listen to this scenario. My daughter works with children, she gets an email stating she may have come in contact with covid 5 days ago. The email goes on to say she should self monitor and if she develops symptoms in the future to go get tested. In the meantime just carry on.

No need to self isolate or go for a test... My daughter went for a test anyway and it came up negative. Regardless it is easy to see how complacent people that deal with this everyday are.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
Well, all of us non-millionaire athletes only get tested when we have symptoms. We are probably constantly surrounded by asymptomatic covid carriers. Same with the immunocompromised people you mentioned.

Ya shit is hitting the fan, explain to me why that is a reason for them to play hockey

It's also my job to worry about.

I get it, you guys can keep worrying about a virus that has a 99.9% survival rate. I'm ready to move on and most others are too.

Roughly 2.5% of people who get infected die (over 200,000,000 have been infected you do the math)

Then there is all those people who have to go into hospital. Then of those people who need to be in the ICU.

How many more people, who didn't have COVID, have died because there were no ICU beds? How many more people die because they couldn't get their surgery because of the strain COVID has put on the hospital?

As i said, don't be shortsighted

Last edited:

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
This is how it is from now on, we just have to live with this thing. If your saying they shouldnt be playing hockey your basically saying they should never play hockey again

I reject that notion, we have to be better because what we are doing now is barely nothing and saying "look shit isn't working"

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
It's also my job to worry about.

I get it, you guys can keep worrying about a virus that has a 99.9% survival rate. I'm ready to move on and most others are too.

A 99.9% survival rate is not a 99.9% recovery rate. Post-covid syndromes affect 10-30% of survivors and almost 90% of those who required hospitalization. Its long-term effect on vascular health in particular is poorly understood. Surviving COVID and never getting it are different things.

Regardless, the 0.1% fatality rate paints a rosier picture than reality. An outbreak of a 90% lethal strain of ebola would make less of an impact on society than a 0.1% lethal strain of COVID. The danger has been and continues to be its super Saiyan level of infectiousness.

I'm in healthcare and am even more sick of this shit than you are, believe me. The window for doing this perfect closed two years ago. All the options that are left are just different degrees of shit. People are going to get f***ed over no matter which way this cookie crumbles.

horner

May 22, 2007
Every team in the league that has a player who wears #19. The name on the back should be Covid. Just as a reminder for clueless to get vaccinated.

Iam confused
All players management staff and fans are vaccinated.
They should all were masks when in public .

Players are still being infected enough to shut down teams .

80% of the population is vaccinated.

Maybe just maybe the vaccine is not the reliable at stopping any virus .

The governments have to do A better job.

The world needs to be vaccinated which will never happen ( until this ends )

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Iam confused
All players management staff and fans are vaccinated.
They should all were masks when in public .

Players are still being infected enough to shut down teams .

80% of the population is vaccinated.

Maybe just maybe the vaccine is not the reliable at stopping any virus .

The governments have to do A better job.

The world needs to be vaccinated which will never happen ( until this ends )

The vaccine isn't supposed to stop the virus it makes it so that if you do get it you don't have severe symptoms

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
What about the immunocompermised people in their family? What about the immunocompermised people who would have to work?

Stop being so shortsighted, it's only hockey

I am more than fine with waiting this thing out, but there are some who realistically can't, and I would not put it past the government to eventually decide that the burden is on those who are most vulnerable have to watch out for themselves, just like it would be for any other disease or the flu.

If you are at a higher risk, or you are in contact with someone who is, then it is on you to make sure you are taking those extra precautions. That is what I am doing with my members of my family who are vulnerable. There are still things everyone else can do to reduce the risk, but that does not mean I expect everyone to take the same level of care I have to, nor do I expect everything to be locked down again. If someone wants to go to a hockey game, where there is a lot of care being taken, then I am fine with it. I would not go myself or be around a person who does, but I am fine with it. I would not be hosting banquets, travelling, or going to night clubs/parties though. I am not convinced the same level of care is being taken (at least in many cases; with travelling, it is very inconsistent). Just like people doing things privately, which is going to happen with or without lockdowns and is almost certainly the main spreader.

I think they are likely never going back to full lockdown again. Not unless it starts impacting everyone, and not just those vulnerable to Covid. Because a full lockdown impacts everyone negatively, and there are people who are maybe not that vulnerable to Covid but are vulnerable to other things and right now they can't receive their full standard of care.

Christ

Mar 10, 2004
Canada
Yes, but most viruses have a biological drive towards this; by the time they can spread to new hosts, their current host is suffering from symptoms, so if the virus kills the host quickly, they only have a short time to jump hosts. Covid isn't like that; it can jump hosts before symptoms start to show, so it doesn't have that biological drive to become less deadly over time.
Actually it does. While it is possible for asymptomatic people to spread the virus, symptomatic people spread the virus far more readily. The symptoms themselves spread the virus more efficiently to potential new hosts and spread more pathogens increasing the viral load on these hosts thus increasing the risk of infection. A virus that kills its host quickly or even makes the host too sick to mingle with other hosts is an inefficient virus. The virus needs to spread efficiently and survives by infecting new hosts and potentially reinfecting old hosts. Killing a host or even sickening a host too much is counterproductive to the success of a virus. Part of the reason COVID 19 is so much harder to contain then say SARS is that it boasts a far lower death rate. It may take years but we should expect COVID 19 to mutate to the point where the illness produced is similar to the flu.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Ya shit is hitting the fan, explain to me why that is a reason for them to play hockey

I don't think shit is hitting the fan. It likely would have PRE vaccines. But the vaccines work. The players are all either asystematic or (at worse) have flu-like symptoms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad