Pre-Game Talk: Leafs @ Canucks Dec 18 - POSTPONED

Status
Not open for further replies.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Leafs, Canucks games postponed - TSN.ca

POSTPONED

Canucks are on a heater with 6 wins in a row under Brucie! But who have they beaten you ask? It's been the LAK, BOS, WPG, CAR, CLB, SJS. VAN are 8-2-0 in their last 10, sit 6th in the Western Conference Wild Card standings (.484 %) and are 8-7-1 at home.

Leafs are coming off three consecutive non-game days where they had back to back practice days for the first time since the season started. The Leafs are 7-2-1 in their last 10, sit 2nd in the division standings (.700 %) and are 8-4-1 on the road

Leafs Team Pages:
Sportsnet.ca
Toronto Maple Leafs
Official Toronto Maple Leafs Website

Canucks Team Pages:
Sportsnet.ca
Vancouver Canucks
Official Vancouver Canucks Website

Last edited by a moderator:

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
With the team rested, I expect a really great effort from them tomorrow night. Not sure what the Canucks bring... they are on a high but we should be a stiff challenge for them.

Looks like Captain Jack in net and the lineup mainly the same as the EDM beatdown with Ritchie in for Semey.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Canucks are on a heater with 6 wins in a row under Brucie! But who have they beaten you ask? It's been the LAK, BOS, WPG, CAR, CLB, SJS. VAN are 8-2-0 in their last 10, sit 6th in the Western Conference Wild Card standings (.484 %) and are 8-7-1 at home.

Leafs are coming off three consecutive non-game days where they had back to back practice days for the first time since the season started. The Leafs are 7-2-1 in their last 10, sit 2nd in the division standings (.700 %) and are 8-4-1 on the road

Leafs Team Pages:
Sportsnet.ca
Toronto Maple Leafs
Official Toronto Maple Leafs Website

Canucks Team Pages:
Sportsnet.ca
Vancouver Canucks
Official Vancouver Canucks Website
This should be a good one I think.
So Ritchie has joined the team?

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
This should be a good one I think.
So Ritchie has joined the team?

Yes, not sure when he arrived but he was at practice yesterday, assume he will be today as well. Keefe spoke about him in the presser yesterday and I think said he gets 3rd line with Miky and Kampf. He was battling a non-covid illness (also know as the shits lol). Anyway, seems he is good to go.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Yes, not sure when he arrived but he was at practice yesterday, assume he will be today as well. Keefe spoke about him in the presser yesterday and I think said he gets 3rd line with Miky and Kampf. He was battling a non-covid illness (also know as the shits lol). Anyway, seems he is good to go.
Thanks. I must have missed the practice talk yesterday. I'm in Holiday mode, not spending as much time at my desk.

I don't read other teams boards, but I would imagine this has already set them all off... lol Love it.
It's all in fun. They should thank us, who doesn't love a late afternoon game?

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
From what I’ve read about revenue sharing, the top ten teams distribute a portion of their earnings to the bottom 22.

In 19-20, the Leafs earned 223 million, which ranks them anywhere from 2nd to 4th in terms of profits.

The Canucks are not in the top ten.

I don’t know exactly how it breaks down so I’ll assume an 80:20 rule - keep 80%, put 20 into the pot for distribution.

223,000,000 X 0.2 = 44,600,000.

44,600,000 / 22 = 2,027,272.

All else being equal, the Leafs put that much cash into each receiving team’s hand every year, assuming my split is accurate.

The Leafs, along with the rest of the O6, provided a lot of the capital for the original expansion in 1967, when California, Los Angeles, Minny, Pittsburgh, Philly and St Louis were added.

St Louis, Philly, Pittsburgh and LA are all in the top ten today, but the Leafs are still bigger.

Given we’ve had back to back shortened seasons and limited fan numbers, the Leafs and a few other teams have been keeping the league alive.

It’s in the interests of the league and everyone in it to ensure the Leafs/Habs/Rangers/Bruins/Hawks/Pens are maximally profitable - that way everybody gets a piece.

The Canucks? Meh.

You will take your early start, and you will like it.

Last edited:

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
At the beginning of the week I would have bet that this game would have been postponed.
Looks to be a good Saturday, Leafs and NFL doubleheader.

Reactions: Nineteen67

Carltons Cup

Let's Do This..
Feb 22, 2018
The Bruce Boudreau novelty will wear off soon enough and they'll revert back to their crappy ways. They're still on an adrenaline rush...

It'll be a tough game but the boys will squeak out the win.

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
The Bruce Boudreau novelty will wear off soon enough and they'll revert back to their crappy ways. They're still on an adrenaline rush...

It'll be a tough game but the boys will squeak out the win.
It took longer for keefe, didn’t he have like a 12 game point streak or something?

I guess that means we win in overtime

Reactions: Carltons Cup

tom leafers

Jan 25, 2017
Toronto
From what I’ve read about profit sharing, the top ten teams distribute a portion of their earnings to the bottom 22.

In 19-20, the Leafs earned 223 million, which ranks them anywhere from 2nd to 4th in terms of profits.

The Canucks are not in the top ten.

I don’t know exactly how it breaks down so I’ll assume an 80:20 rule - keep 80%, put 20 into the pot for distribution.

223,000,000 X 0.2 = 44,600,000.

44,600,000 / 22 = 2,027,272.

All else being equal, the Leafs put that much cash into each receiving team’s hand every year, assuming my split is accurate.

The Leafs, along with the rest of the O6, provided a lot of the capital for the original expansion in 1967, when California, Los Angeles, Minny, Pittsburgh, Philly and St Louis were added.

St Louis, Philly, Pittsburgh and LA are all in the top ten today, but the Leafs are still bigger.

Given we’ve had back to back shortened seasons and limited fan numbers, the Leafs and a few other teams have been keeping the league alive.

It’s in the interests of the league to ensure the Leafs are maximally profitable - when so, everybody gets a piece.

The Canucks? Meh.

My point? The same point I make every time the Leafs play in Vancouver.

You will take your early start, and you will like it.

rWoOcj0d5rlpDgYjhYlr3yufXpQXJxnaDs6t1_yIl1u6AL4UWe0KRBD0g2WAmRSYsjokCpXosl5u3d_ksN2HTL5yJMo3LfsVkVIB0OZ2uAPKOkgzWkMJhqKMwZO_dsGp8jcgQ4IZssbczcYA_iKx

i had no idea where this was going but i loved it lol.

Vancouver always seems to give Toronto troubles. who could forget Toronto dropping back to back games to a vancouver team immediatly after coming back from getting crushed by covid.

i feel like these late afternoon starts also mess with the boys. Hopefully they crush some brucie dreams

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
I wonder if BC will put capacity limits on this game. They are making an announcement today at 1.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
I wonder if BC will put capacity limits on this game. They are making an announcement today at 1.
Ya I can't see any way that the province doesn't put a capacity limit on this game tmw. Which sucks, because I HAVE TICKETS

I really have no clue how they'd sort out who goes and who doesn't before puck drop though. Might take a drastic approach like MTL and go no fans. But in saying that, Aquilini's are the cheapest owners in the league, and there is absolutely no way they'd willingly take less revenue. Especially from a premium game like TOR. This is easily the biggest haul from a revenue standpoint for a single game in the Canucks home schedule.

Fingers Crossed!

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I'm guessing the obvious - that Spezza comes back as 4C with Simmonds on one wing and Ritchie on the other (if he's healthy), with the Engvall-Kampf-Mikheyev checking line kept intact.

Bunting - Matthews - Kase
Kerfoot - Tavares - Nylander
Engvall - Kampf - Mikheyev
Ritchie - Spezza - Simmonds

And I'm guessing health permitting that's the lineup we're going to see in every game until Mitch comes back.

Should be very interesting to see which one of those bottom 6 forwards earns his way out of the lineup when Mitch is ready to go. And also interesting to see which one of those top-6 forwrds would be moved down to the bottom 6 when Mitch comes back too.

As of right now i think it would have to be Ritchie on merit. And while everyone hates Engvall there's a good argument that he's actually been the best of all those bottom-6 forwards this year. I don't think I'd be taking him out no matter what. And that Engvall-Kampf-Mikheyev trio makes a whole lotta sense as a checking line.

Hey maybe Mitch comes back and we get a Simmonds/Ritchie-Spezza-Marner third line.

Reactions: leafsfan5

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
I'm guessing the obvious - that Spezza comes back as 4C with Simmonds on one wing and Ritchie on the other (if he's healthy), with the Engvall-Kampf-Mikheyev checking line kept intact.

And I'm guessing health permitting that's the lineup we're going to see in every game until Mitch comes back.

Should be very interesting to see which one of those bottom 6 forwards earns his way out of the lineup when Mitch is ready to go. And also interesting to see which one of those top-6 forwrds would be moved down to the bottom 6 when Mitch comes back too.

As of right now i think it would have to be Ritchie on merit. And while everyone hates Engvall there's a good argument that he's actually been the best of all those bottom-6 forwards this year. I don't think I'd be taking him out no matter what. And that Engvall-Kampf-Mikheyev trio makes a whole lotta sense as a checking line.

Hey maybe Mitch comes back and we get a Simmonds/Ritchie-Spezza-Marner third line.

I'd be looking at moving Mik myself - $1.64 and i can't see them re-signing him

Reactions: geo25

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC

Keefer did mention that Clifford had just played his best two games since rejoining the Leafs; I would have to agree. Especially vs EDM he was noticable; unsure if that is his good play of just the suck of the Oil players. Wondering if he would keep Clifford in and maybe take out an Engvall? Clifford on LW4 and Ritchie on LW3 maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad