GDT: Leafs@Canes

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
i think same thing and it started with the stupid win celebration , the nhl dont like that , and myself think its stupid and its done for , move on , this was a bullshit goal and i remember last year or year before playoff we had goals removed after like 2-3 mins while they were playing without their coach asking reviews , it hapenned to us 2 times and i never seen that againts any other teams ever
FWIW: the fan base enjoys the celebrations, particularly at the PNC.

Plenty of teams celebrate and thank fans after wins and quite frankly I find the Rags extensive every goal celebration to be the most obnoxious in the League.

Koochie was the real #1 star. Aho was mostly meh until game winning goal.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
That late tying goal still annoys me. Because, yes, it was the right call. The puck was never covered, so the whistle shouldn’t have blown, so the fact that Matthews scored after the whistle is irrelevant.

BUT, a few weeks back, this play happened:

Puck is covered, literally every player stops skating…but no whistle comes. Goal is scored because literally everyone was expecting a whistle and the official isn’t communicating that no whistle is coming. He’s actually there, whistle in hand, waiting for the eventual goal.

And then there’s the “intent to blow” rule, which opens up a whole nother can of worms. God, I’m not one to rag on the refs, but Jesus Christ, it’s been so hard to defend lately.

Last edited:

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Yes. No goalie will start back to backs for the rest of the regular season.
I'm pretty sure that no Canes goalie has started back to backs at any point in the season, or last season either.

Edit: a quick look shows Raanta did once but wasn't that out of necessity because Freddie and Kochetkov were injured (can't remember)?

10/28-29: Andersen Raanta
11/3-4: Andersen Raanta
11/9-10: Raanta Kochetkov
11/25-26: Kochetkov Raanta
12/17-18: Raanta Kochetkov
12/22-23: Raanta Raanta
1/14-15: Andersen Kochetkov
1/31-2/1: Andersen Raanta
2/24-25: Raanta Andersen
3/17-18: Kochetkov Andersen

There was only 1 instance last year as well and that was Kochetkov 4/23-24. I know Andersen was injured and think Raanta might have been as well. I forgot all about Lyon and LaFontaine both getting starts last year.

Last edited:
Reactions: DaveG and zman77

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
I'm pretty sure that no Canes goalie has started back to backs at any point in the season, or last season either.

Edit: a quick look shows Raanta did once but wasn't that out of necessity because Freddie and Kochetkov were injured (can't remember)?

10/28-29: Andersen Raanta
11/3-4: Andersen Raanta
11/9-10: Raanta Kochetkov
11/25-26: Kochetkov Raanta
12/17-18: Raanta Kochetkov
12/22-23: Raanta Raanta
1/14-15: Andersen Kochetkov
1/31-2/1: Andersen Raanta
2/24-25: Raanta Andersen
3/17-18: Kochetkov Andersen

There was only 1 instance last year as well and that was Kochetkov 4/23-24. I know Andersen was injured and think Raanta might have been as well. I forgot all about Lyon and LaFontaine both getting starts last year.
I know Rod doesn't like to do it anyway but I didn't realize it was that extreme. I was more just speaking about that's what I thought Waddell and/or Brindy said around the deadline. That they wanted the flexibility to call up Kochetkov as a 3rd goalie or in case of injury just to be sure none of the goalies would have to play in a back to back. I could be wrong though.

Went back and watched the game since I missed it live. For once, nice to win a game in which we were notably outshot and outplayed for large stretches. Toronto took a page out of our book on how to how to pepper the goalie and still lose.
They also held us without a shot for like 15 minutes or something. Usually that's us doing it to other teams. It was definitely bizarro world out there at times.

MadeUpName

Mar 24, 2022
That late tying goal still annoys me. Because, yes, it was the right call. The puck was never covered, so the whistle shouldn’t have blown, so the fact that Matthews scored after the whistle is irrelevant.

Puck is covered, literally every player stops skating…but no whistle comes. Goal is scored because literally everyone was expecting a whistle and the official isn’t communicating that no whistle is coming. He’s actually there, whistle in hand, waiting for the eventual goal.

And then there’s the “intent to blow” rule, which opens up a whole nother can of worms. God, I’m not one to rag on the refs, but Jesus Christ, it’s been so hard to defend lately.

I am almost certain that Carolina has had a least a couple goals overturned because the ref was "making the motion of starting to blow the whistle".

I can't remember a time when the refs got together and just decided to overturn their own blown whistle call. Being the "right" call is irrelevant when that has not mattered in the past.

I guess I just don't understand the rules or the rules are stupid.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015

Well I can think of at least 6-7 times this year alone where we were the victim of a quick whistle on a loose puck and had the puck on our stick in front of a gaping net, so it absolutely is relevant. We know better than anyone that refs f*** up regularly, remember Winnipeg (might have been the same night even as that Send game you posted)? Whether the whistle was right or wrong is irrelevant, the puck was still on his stick at the whistle and snapped after (and thereby well after "intent")...so its no goal, at least when it happens the same way to us. If they're allowed to go back now and say they shouldn't have blown then we're owed several more goals. Just be consistent, if it's no goal for us every time it should be no goal when it happens to our opponents. I think what got me most is it was called no goal, then they changed their mind and said goal, then after 10 sec where I don't think they even watched video "confirmed" the goal...it's bullshit and I highly doubt they'd have done that if it were the other way around

Last edited:

surfzone365

Jan 13, 2021
Ashburn, VA
I am almost certain that Carolina has had a least a couple goals overturned because the ref was "making the motion of starting to blow the whistle".

I can't remember a time when the refs got together and just decided to overturn their own blown whistle call. Being the "right" call is irrelevant when that has not mattered in the past.

I guess I just don't understand the rules or the rules are stupid.
Still scratching my head over that 3rd Toronto "goal". Even Steve Dangle had some reservations on the goal. I try to stay far away from the "everyone is against us" mantra but this just straight up sucks. Rod has every right to blow a fuse over shit like this.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I think the whistle blowing and the shot being taken were fairly simultaneous. I think it was a reasonable call. I also believe intent to blow has been gone since continuation since that would be in direct conflict with continuation.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Was putting Gost and Burns on the same pp exclusive to the 5 on 3 or something we will see 5v4 going forward?
I was saying before the game we need to try it 5v4 PP bc it really forces the opposition to decide who to cover. Sure PP2 won't be as much of a threat with Slavin or Pesce, but hopefully PP1 can score enough or create enough chaos to make the overall PP more effective

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Was putting Gost and Burns on the same pp exclusive to the 5 on 3 or something we will see 5v4 going forward?
Think the after the 5 on 3 goal, they were back to normal. They also had Ghost alone on the 1st unit before getting the 5 on 3 too I think. Seems like it was just a 5 on 3 thing, but hard to say since we got no more PPs after.

I was saying before the game we need to try it 5v4 PP bc it really forces the opposition to decide who to cover. Sure PP2 won't be as much of a threat with Slavin or Pesce, but hopefully PP1 can score enough or create enough chaos to make the overall PP more effective
It feels like more and more the first unit has gone like 80-90 seconds, so might as well just load up the first with Ghost and Burns at this point. As I said, didn't look like they intended to do that necessarily.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
I don’t disagree but we can’t forget about top 10 scoring d man Brady Skjei

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Well I can think of at least 6-7 times this year alone where we were the victim of a quick whistle on a loose puck and had the puck on our stick in front of a gaping net, so it absolutely is relevant. We know better than anyone that refs f*** up regularly, remember Winnipeg (might have been the same night even as that Send game you posted)? Whether the whistle was right or wrong is irrelevant, the puck was still on his stick at the whistle and snapped after (and thereby well after "intent")...so its no goal, at least when it happens the same way to us. If they're allowed to go back now and say they shouldn't have blown then we're owed several more goals. Just be consistent, if it's no goal for us every time it should be no goal when it happens to our opponents. I think what got me most is it was called no goal, then they changed their mind and said goal, then after 10 sec where I don't think they even watched video "confirmed" the goal...it's bullshit and I highly doubt they'd have done that if it were the other way around
I don’t think it’s been that many but it’s been at least 2-3. And there have been a couple against as well. This is the first time I’ve ever seen it called the way it was last night, and I’ve seen that type of goal disallowed 100’s of times in NHL games and games I’ve played. Everyone screams at the refs and they apologize and say I blew the whistle I lost sight of it and everyone goes about their business.

Sigurd

Slavin, our Lord and Saver (AKA Extra Goalie)
Feb 4, 2018
North Carolina
Did they confuse TD Garden with our building or something?
They must have been drunk, or are just dumb, and bought tickets yesterday thinking the Bruins played at PNC Saturday instead of Sunday.

Imagine going to a team's home game (Carolina) as a third party fanbase when your team isn't playing, and trash talking the team of the state you moved to. More of those charming northern transplants in the triangle area.

So Noesen has two Leafs play whack-a-mole on him in the leafs net, but you're calling that shit?

lol
That whole sequence deserves more discussion IMO. Really it was 3 players because the goalie was pushing Noesen too even after the Toronto goalie got up. Noesen was being push down and being kept in their net by 3 Toronto players as the ref was literally no more than 6 feet away staring at all of it. The refs are embarrassing, and it's so tiring having them as a big distraction almost every game. The refs also clearly didn't want to give Carolina a power play after they scored on a 5 on 3. Game management.
We took our foot off the gas, engaged the parking brake, and went into the grandstand for a beer.
Out of the games I’ve watched this year that’s probably the worst period I’ve seen played
Yep, the 2nd period last night was one of the worst periods the Canes have had in a long time. It was even more jarring after we had an amazing 1st period.

Pyotr kept the team in the game. We need to have more goaltending performances like that, and if we do, even with our injuries, I think we can at least make the conference finals (hopefully).

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Leaving on a Jet plane don't know when you will be back again

Maybe never.

1679846988232.jpeg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad