Pre-Game Talk: Leafs @ Canes, Friday

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
I guarantee you it has nothing to do with "not happy with Martin." I bet any money he tells media that, he is setting up the lineup differently, as well lost last time, and when things dont work you have to make changes. Leivo gives more offense, but not really so much 5v5, esp on a fourth line (unless he scratch Moore as well again, and goes with Marleau at center). Leivo's best presence is on the PP, which also has taken a dip of late. In all but 1 game I have seen Leivo play, his foot speed is a real issue, especially defensively. I recall a goal where, 3 or 4 times the puck came up his side of the boards and he simply got beat to the puck, or lost the board battle. This is where I think that Kasper is the one who desirves to be on the team. Taking Leivo, Sosh and Kasper into account Kasper easily is the better player. The only thing is, due to that he is also our best prospect trade chip. Wondering if talks happened at the GM meetings, and Kasper was a piece involved, with his concussion issues, I wonder if they feel he is more safe in the AHL, and keeping him there until a deal is done. Though it is still very curious that they extended Leivo, that contract is a perfect trading one. An extra year of control, so that the other team does not have to get into talks the moment a deal is made.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I guarantee you it has nothing to do with "not happy with Martin." I bet any money he tells media that, he is setting up the lineup differently, as well lost last time, and when things dont work you have to make changes. Leivo gives more offense, but not really so much 5v5, esp on a fourth line (unless he scratch Moore as well again, and goes with Marleau at center). Leivo's best presence is on the PP, which also has taken a dip of late. In all but 1 game I have seen Leivo play, his foot speed is a real issue, especially defensively. I recall a goal where, 3 or 4 times the puck came up his side of the boards and he simply got beat to the puck, or lost the board battle. This is where I think that Kasper is the one who desirves to be on the team. Taking Leivo, Sosh and Kasper into account Kasper easily is the better player. The only thing is, due to that he is also our best prospect trade chip. Wondering if talks happened at the GM meetings, and Kasper was a piece involved, with his concussion issues, I wonder if they feel he is more safe in the AHL, and keeping him there until a deal is done. Though it is still very curious that they extended Leivo, that contract is a perfect trading one. An extra year of control, so that the other team does not have to get into talks the moment a deal is made.

It's a back to back so I guess one of Leivo/Sosh will sit for Martin against the caps on Saturday

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Possibly. If Leivo and Sosh play extremely well, and are integral in a win, you may see them get another game. Though again, Kasper deserves to play up with the big boys every night. This log jam is about to burst. I know a trade is coming, and it was even said before the GM meetings that, deals may not happen that exact weekend, but probably happen after Thanksgiving (today USA) and before Christmas.

I have said it many times before. At some point you have to cash in on your blue chips, which we have several of; Kasper, Leivo, Sosh, Johnsson, Dermott, Sparks, Picks, Curtis--you can argue that Gauthier is there too. I think the Moore experiment has not yielded what we had hoped. I think the new slash rule has effected his game so much, he is not effective anymore. We also have all our picks plus an extra 2nd. Looking at the Duchene deal (since centers are close to as valuable if not the same as top 4 D), it shows just how much grade A prospects are, and picks, since that is really what Sakic got for him. A couple picks, prospects, and a backup goalie for a number 1 or 2 center. Though apparently many here live in a fantasy where you have to include Marner or Nylander or the rest of our NHL players are deemed to be garbage by other fans, and even our own. It is sickening, JVR on any other team guaranteed would have big time worth. I get he is UFA but deals have happened many times where it hinges on the player signing (Turris in Nash, that is why that deal took an extra day to be final). So that is complete garbage.

In addition Gardiner is finally coming out of that horrific slide he was on (since the first NJ game). Many of the above prospects we have are playing normal everyday minutes on at least 12-15 teams in the league, whether 3rd or 4th line, it matters not. We have a jam, and need to cash in. I am glad Lou is our GM because he is really crafty, quiet, and has probably the best poker face in the league. Those are the ingredients of us getting the biggest bang for our buck. So curious who,and when this will be, but think it happens soon.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Pumped to see them Rolling 4 lines that can score. Going to be an amazing game tonight like Offence on steroids (Leafs) vs Defence on steroids (Canes). We'll have to see who wins.:popcorn:

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
If there was ever a game I'd want the Leafs to pop off, it's this one. That would be more fuel to run this type of line up moving forward, I don't want them to lay an egg here.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Babcock not happy with Martin eh?

If ever there was a team to scratch Martin for its the Hurricanes

They hardly ever fight, tend to play a pretty clean game and they can defend solidly through all 3 pairs

We're going to need every bit of offense we can muster and giving them match up problems helps

Bravo Babs

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
There aren't any other teams in the league that can roll 4 scoring lines. That 3rd period last night may have lit a bulb over Babs' head.

Reactions: Menzinger

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
This Canes team is stacked with some very good defense man so we really need to be creative in order to muster some offense and be equally effective in defending. We already have lost a home games against this team and I hope we are better prepared for this game

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Just found this. We have a verbal agreement with Igor Og in place so there is one spot on RHD taken (unless the sky falls). Not having a great year but he has been endorsed by Nikita Kucherov, saying he is a great player, and would be really good in the NHL. In fact Kucherov was the middle man for Tampa, apparently Yzerman talked to Igor as well. But looks like we basically have him (verbal agreement), once the KHL season is done for him we can sign away.

Here is the link

Friedman: Leafs Have Verbal Commitment From KHL Defender Ozhiganov

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
It was odd that Babcock scratched Martin for the 1st time. I could see us trying to showcase some guys (Leivo, Sosh, Bozak, JVR) to Carolina for a possible deal. We fit each other's needs in terms of trading partners.

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
One of my favourite players a healthy scratch... i dont even feel like watching this game now. Im interested to see if anyone will take a run at our players now that martin is out. Against a team like Carolina we need his forechecking and defensive abilities, not to mention a heart and soul two-way player

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Apparently Martin is a healthy scratch. Look for our big 3 to be clubbed to death during the game because he's not there to protect them

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
The lines are still garbage and spread out. We need to stack and get rid of Hyman put him on the 4th line already. Our offense stinks lately what is Bobcat waiting for???

Marleau-Matthews-Marner
JVR-Kadri-Brown
Komarov-Bozak-Nylander
Hyman-Moore-Leivo/Sosh

Intact

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga ON
I'll be pretty surprised to see the Leafs come out flat in the first on Friday given how badly last few firsts have gone. Would almost expect it Saturday though.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
I'll be pretty surprised to see the Leafs come out flat in the first on Friday given how badly last few firsts have gone. Would almost expect it Saturday though.

I hope not - they need to play hard every single period

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
The lines are still garbage and spread out. We need to stack and get rid of Hyman put him on the 4th line already. Our offense stinks lately what is Bobcat waiting for???

Marleau-Matthews-Marner
JVR-Kadri-Brown
Komarov-Bozak-Nylander
Hyman-Moore-Leivo/Sosh

Really? it's been one game! I was encouraged by their play in the 3rd last night, especially Bozak and JVR with Willie. Bozak and JVR actually had consistently good offensive zone shifts, which is quite something really when those two play together.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Wow, didnt expect Babcock to scratch Martin. Getting a guy with more offensive upside in the lineup is the right play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00