Proposal: Leafs/Canadiens

Scuba-Steve

Jun 8, 2006
Québec
Ok, but we need to rebuild, we need to trade our veterans for a maximum return.

I agree 100%. I'm all for trading players who could be replace by youngster as soon as next year. But when we have no other option in the near future, it could hurt the development of all our team, including the up and coming propects.

Arnold Schwarzaneger

Feb 16, 2020
I agree 100%. I'm all for trading players who could be replace by youngster as soon as next year. But when we have no other option in the near future, it could hurt the development of all our team, including the up and coming propects.
The team isn’t going to be competing next year, or the year after, or after that, or after that. Petry needs to go, just like the other vets with value. Fill the hole with veteran plugs we can acquire for free in free agency.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Blake Coleman, Greene and Zucker trades - time discount is huge, Petry would get more if he was on the market. Sandin is still a rookie showing promise but nowhere near Petry's level yet ;)

If Coleman got this kind of return, this likely means many players are not made available at D-7

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Pretty steep price for the Leafs and a lot of deluded Habs fans.

Yes you'd take it and like it.
Sandin is solid defensively so clearly some have no clue...
Kerfoot can play every forward position, is solid defensively and can produce..every team can use guys like him.

OP cleverly identified 2 assets we should not part with.

Better to not trade with the Habs. Their slow death is fun to watch.

Big pass.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019

Kerfoot can play every forward position, is solid defensively and can produce..every team can use guys like him.

Big pass.

Have nothing against TOR. You paid a 2nd for some weeks of Plekanec ;) that s what picks and prospects are worth vs proven vets (see Coleman, Zucker and co recently)

Guy Larose

Jan 25, 2018
TB fans "Foote isn't going anywhere"....
Pens fans "Addison isn't going anywhere"....
TO fans "Sandin isn't going anywhere".... I guess we'll see lol

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
TB fans "Foote isn't going anywhere"....
Pens fans "Addison isn't going anywhere"....
TO fans "Sandin isn't going anywhere".... I guess we'll see lol
Lol...give me one reasonable explanation why the Leafs, with both their cap issues and their defense issue, trade a 19 year old (their best) young Dman on his ELC for a 32 year old Dman with 1 more year left on contract....seriously...just one reasonable explanation.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017

Big pass.
Well Kerfoot is at best a 3 line C .Lehkonen has more value.
Petry is a D that every team could use in a playoff run.
Is a top pairing D-man and can fill in as a #1 when needed.
Sandin is the question mark.Who know what he becomes.
I'm just as happy to not trade our players to the Leafs which would help them on their quest for the cup. Rather see the Leafs stand pat and IF they make the playoffs get the usual boot in the 1st rd.

Reactions: Magic Stick

Guy Larose

Jan 25, 2018
Lol...give me one reasonable explanation why the Leafs, with both their cap issues and their defense issue, trade a 19 year old (their best) young Dman on his ELC for a 32 year old Dman with 1 more year left on contract....seriously...just one reasonable explanation.

Do I really need an explanation for what I wrote? Nobody on this board knows what will happen, no one. All wishful thinking across the board. TB and Pens fans said the same type of things you are and yet here we are....

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Well Kerfoot is at best a 3 line C .Lehkonen has more value.
Petry is a D that every team could use in a playoff run.
Is a top pairing D-man and can fill in as a #1 when needed.
Sandin is the question mark.Who know what he becomes.
I'm just as happy to not trade our players to the Leafs which would help them on their quest for the cup. Rather see the Leafs stand pat and IF they make the playoffs get the usual boot in the 1st rd.
You need not worry, at this point the Leafs probably don't make the playoffs...they have a tough schedule coming up. And even if they do? They will face either Tampa or Boston, so whether we stand pat or add Petry, the result will be the same....we get our asses handed to us.

So there is zero need to do something dumb like move Sandin for Petry. Petry is a fine player, but he's not the missing link.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Do I really need an explanation for what I wrote? Nobody on this board knows what will happen, no one. All wishful thinking across the board. TB and Pens fans said the same type of things you are and yet here we are....
You don't think Tampa and the Pens are in a slightly different position than Toronto?

Guy Larose

Jan 25, 2018
You don't think Tampa and the Pens are in a slightly different position than Toronto?

That's irrelevant. Point is fans from every team are always saying their top prospects aren't going anywhere, but nobody knows for sure.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
You need not worry, at this point the Leafs probably don't make the playoffs...they have a tough schedule coming up. And even if they do? They will face either Tampa or Boston, so whether we stand pat or add Petry, the result will be the same....we get our asses handed to us.

So there is zero need to do something dumb like move Sandin for Petry. Petry is a fine player, but he's not the missing link.
For once i totally agree with your complete post.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
That's irrelevant. Point is fans from every team are always saying their top prospects aren't going anywhere, but nobody knows for sure.
Sometimes the obvious is really the obvious though. There are teams that will not be trading their top prospects. And Sandin is actually playing in the NHL, so he really isn't a prospect.

I get what you are saying, but sometimes ir's just common sense. In Toronto's case, their biggest issues are cap and defense, so it's a safe assumption to say a 19 year old ELC Dman probably doesn't get moved.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
For once i totally agree with your complete post.
It's the reality. The only moves i would be looking to make right now are trading Barrie for another style D (or using those assets to get one) and trading Kapanen(+) to get a Larsson style D with term. Not moves to save the season, but ones that help going forward.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
it breaks pretty easily

Ok then....Feel free to tell us how bad we are in the playoffs when you become a regular playoff team. Until then you're just embarrassing yourself. Leave the Leaf bashing to the much better qualified Bruin fans, they have something to brag about.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad