Confirmed with Link: Leafs bring in long time NSH C Jerred Smithson for AHL Marlies tryout

Drugstorecowboi

May 5, 2009
I've always been a fan of Smithson....Preds fans called him Smithers.... he is one TOUGH guy.... sometimes he has nice hands but he can win a faceoff and a fight no problem.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
throwing this out there...

McClement - Bolland - Raymond
McLaren/Ashton - Smithson - Orr

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Looks pretty solid to me. Where would Kulemin fit though (with Clarkson sliding along side Lupul and Kadri)?

Yeah forgot to mention... Kulemin gets traded.

I think Jay, Bolland, JVR, Bozak, Smithson, can handle the PK duties. The 3rd line still has the defensive expert on the line in JayMac.

Now, all of this is depending on if Smithson looks good or not.

MuchoMacho

Jul 19, 2009
Penalty Box

I think Jay, Bolland, JVR, Bozak, Smithson, can handle the PK duties. The 3rd line still has the defensive expert on the line in JayMac.

I think it depends on what Kulemin can get in a trade. If he can pull in a blue chip prospect or a first rounder (unlikely) it'd be a no-brainer but if we're talking much less then that, I'd rather keep him for a playoff run. A guy like Smithson is agreeing to a AHL try out a month after the season started, he'll be around next year if Kulemin walks in the summer.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
When the team is healthy again (assuming that happens for at least a few games this season)... i'd like to see McClement as the 4th line centre... but give him a winger who can actually score, maybe someone like Leivo. Orr or McLaren can take the other wing, but then double shift someone in place of Orr/McLaren.

Orr might only play 3 minutes a game. Basically just bring him in if we need him to fight or lay a big hit.

So we'd have a fourth line of
Levio - McClement - ______

Ideally, have Kessel or Lupul double shifted if one of them can play the extra minutes. But put anyone from the top 9 in there if they could use some more ice time.

This allows McClement to remain in his role as 4th line centre and super boss PK man... but it will give him a chance to play with some good players and contribute offensively.

And if everyone is too tired to play the extra shift, then Orr can come in and play a few shifts.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Good depth move if he plays well for the Marlies.

Marlies were down to 3 centers because of the Smith promotion, so that'll help in that regard.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Is he going to be player-assistant coach?

They must be looking for leadership.

If they were looking for potential NHL centers, you'd think they'd be giving invites out to someone like Cody Sylvester, rather than a 34 year old journeyman with over 500 NHL games.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Big, defense first centre who's good on draws and can drop the mits too?

He even looks like Fraser McLaren's brother.
Will see him up at some point, maybe as an injury replacement.

i

i

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Marlies for now. But once the leafs cap situation gets better and closer to the end of the season after the trade deadline, there will probably be room for him. He can sign then.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Is he going to be player-assistant coach?

They must be looking for leadership.

If they were looking for potential NHL centers, you'd think they'd be giving invites out to someone like Cody Sylvester, rather than a 34 year old journeyman with over 500 NHL games.

Seriously ULF?

Funny things is, i was musing to my student worker yesterday morning that our C depth was bugging me, mentioned to him that we need another Ziggy type guy in the AHL.

This is not a project player like CS would be, this is a seasoned vet who knows his role, PK, blockshots,win draws, hit, drop them the odd time.

Will come cheap.

Looks like a pretty darn good 4th line depth player ,one that teams always are looking for come PO time.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
This guy is perfect for playoffs.

He's huge, wins draws, is physical and can play all three forward positions.

It helps with organizational depth as well as teaching the youngins in the Marlies a thing or two.

Frelimo

Jul 6, 2012
Toronto

why why why why why!!?? We're stuck in this rebuild mentality where we've got to trade away players before potentially losing them to FA. Trade Kulemin now, and he exactly the type of player they're going to overpay for at the deadline. When you're a bubble-competitive team, you should do exactly what Nonis did last year. Keep the soon to be FAs but don't sell the farm at the deadline. If you really think we're going to lose Kulemin to FA, then think of him like a rental player - but one we didn't have to give anything up for. :rant:

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad