Prospect Info: Leafs Board Prospect Ranking #4

Prospect Ranking #4

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
More valuable? Sandin was just selected with the 25th overall pick. I'll suggest this was fair value for Sandin. Do you believe that any team would've given the Leafs a late first round pick for Rosen? A second? I don't think so. Maybe a 4th.

That's irrelevant. Andreas Johnsson was picked in the 7th round, does that make him less valuable?

We're talking at this point in time, who brings the most value to the team. I would say a young guy ready to step into a role in the NHL is more valuable than a younger guy who is not ready but likely will be better. Doesn't mean I think Sandin is of no value, as he'd be my next pick at #5. As I said it is hard to put an actual value on these players

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
I would have to question your usage of "likely"

I would say Liljegren has earned "likely" to make it. Which means Sandin can't be "likely" as he is not near Lilly's stage of development. I would consider Sandin as "projected," so he is projected to be a top 4.

Then the question is which do you value more? Rosen who is likely a bottom pairing (which I would add there s a possibility of developing into a 4th spot) or Sandin who is projected to be a top 4.

I recognize the more realizable asset as more valuable.

But "likely bottom pairing" guys can be had for a 3rd or 5th round pick, or occasionally off waivers. How can that be more valuable that a fresh first round pick? You could trade Sandin for 2 or 3 Rosens.

trollmonger

Oct 14, 2016
That's irrelevant. Andreas Johnsson was picked in the 7th round, does that make him less valuable?

We're talking at this point in time, who brings the most value to the team. I would say a young guy ready to step into a role in the NHL is more valuable than a younger guy who is not ready but likely will be better. Doesn't mean I think Sandin is of no value, as he'd be my next pick at #5. As I said it is hard to put an actual value on these players
Johnsson was picked in the 7th round in 2013. That's irrelevant. His value is much greater now.
I'm talking about current value. I'm using 2018 draft picks as currency to establish value. Sandin is worth a 2018 late 1st round pick. Rosen is not. If a team had offered the Leafs a 2nd or 3rd at draft for Rosen, I think they would've gladly accepted.
Perhaps I'm underestimating Rosen. It's not that I don't like him. If it wasn't for three LHD ahead of him, I'm sure he'd make the roster. He still might be but someone will have to switch to right side and Hainsey's already doing that. But even if the Leafs didn't a have a L/R imbalance, I don't see Rosen as anything more than a bottom of the roster player.
Sandin is clearly the most valuable player remaining in my eyes. I think there's a bit of a dropoff after this selection. Rosen is worthy of consideration but a few others are too.

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
Johnsson was picked in the 7th round in 2013. That's irrelevant. His value is much greater now.
I'm talking about current value. I'm using 2018 draft picks as currency to establish value. Sandin is worth a 2018 late 1st round pick. Rosen is not. If a team had offered the Leafs a 2nd or 3rd at draft for Rosen, I think they would've gladly accepted.
Perhaps I'm underestimating Rosen. It's not that I don't like him. If it wasn't for three LHD ahead of him, I'm sure he'd make the roster. He still might be but someone will have to switch to right side and Hainsey's already doing that. But even if the Leafs didn't a have a L/R imbalance, I don't see Rosen as anything more than a bottom of the roster player.
Sandin is clearly the most valuable player remaining in my eyes. I think there's a bit of a dropoff after this selection. Rosen is worthy of consideration but a few others are too.

Pre-playoffs I likely would've agreed more but his stock shot up quite a bit in my eyes during the Marlies playoff run. He manned the PP alot of the time and logged some good minutes. He was also first in points for dmen on the Marlies with 11 pts in 16 games.

This is all very subjective as there is no standard criteria but personal biases towards the most valuable traits. I had a hard time deciding but I think there is far more chance of Rosen exceeding expectations compared to Sandin meeting his, as of today. Sandin has some pretty big shoes to fill. I think it more than fair he took the 4th spot, just in my eyes at the current moment I am placing more value on Rosen as he can come right in to play, whereas Sandin is a couple years. Sandin would've been my #5 but I can definitely see the rationale in him being #4.

Agree to somewhat disagree

ChrisCall

Jun 25, 2012
Engvall has done nothing but impress since he came over to North America. Adjusted fairly quickly to the smaller surface, was nearly ppg in the regular season games that he played. He has size and he is getting better at using it to his advantage.

It didn't help his numbers to play on the shutdown line with Gauthier and Greening but that line played a huge part in our Calder Cup run. I just get the feeling that our front office holds him in much higher regard than wherever he ends up on this list.

I voted for Sandin here, but I thought strongly about voting for Engvall.
The guy might end up being better than Johnsson.
It's important to remember that Engvall is 18 months younger than Johnsson.

Reactions: Pyromaniac

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Hard to believe that our top 4 if not 5, and possibly even 6 prospects are all Swedes.

Ashdown2

Aug 19, 2006
the list is really underwhelming after the 5th guy.
IMO due to bad drafting over the past 2 years (not counting first rounders)

Reactions: Brown Dog

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
the list is really underwhelming after the 5th guy.
IMO due to bad drafting over the past 2 years (not counting first rounders)
Yea could be better for sure but we just lost Dermott and Kapanen so it's a good problem to have. Korshkov was basically a first round pick, needs a big year as he hasn't really progressed and it's going into his D+3. I was hoping he would've came over for next year also.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Sandin by plenty

Jesus the pool thins out pretty quickly after this pick, our picks in the mid to late rounds do not good

The JVR, Bozak, Komorov decision plus trading a couple of 2nd's over the last 2 trade deadlines has taken a toll asset wise organizationally

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
Yea could be better for sure but we just lost Dermott and Kapanen so it's a good problem to have. Korshkov was basically a first round pick, needs a big year as he hasn't really progressed and it's going into his D+3. I was hoping he would've came over for next year also.

Korshkov is nearing bust territory.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
Hello all, I will make a thread everyday until we have determined the top 30 prospects according to Leaf fans on HFBoards.

Rankings:

1. Timothy Liljegren -- 78.7%
2. Andreas Johnsson -- 86.2%
3. Carl Grundstrom -- 49.6%

Suggest who I should add next. :D
Thanks for doing these always buddy, they are always fun and a lot of work for sure :laugh: :thumbu:

Although...I gotta say, Symtro Timashov might our best-kept secret. Wondering Tymtro Dimashov is better though:sarcasm:

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Jesus the pool thins out pretty quickly after this pick, our picks in the mid to late rounds do not good
It's not that bad.
It'll be
Durzi(2nd round pick)
Aaltonen (likely in the NHL this year)
Bracco(coming along very well)
Ozhiganov(should make NHL this year)
Koshkov(could step right into top 6)

That's not bad at all to round out 5-10 in our prospect pool .

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
It's not that bad.
It'll be
Durzi(2nd round pick)

Unless Aaltonen gets dumped by whatever KHL team he's signing with for 2018-2019, he's not going to be in the NHL or even AHL this year. And given Korshkov's lack of development and his continuing decision to avoid testing his mettle in North America, I'd suggest both Engvall and Brooks, who were quite useful members of the Marlies Championship team should be moved ahead of him.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
It's not that bad.
It'll be
Durzi(2nd round pick)

Durzi and Bracco are long shots still, Aaltonen went back to the KHL, Korshkov is in the KHL and his production over there says 3rd line (maybe) and Ozhiganov was a healthy scratch in the KHL playoffs

If even one of those guys becomes a top 9F or top 4D it's a win at this point

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Unless Aaltonen gets dumped by whatever KHL team he's signing with for 2018-2019, he's not going to be in the NHL or even AHL this year. And given Korshkov's lack of development and his continuing decision to avoid testing his mettle in North America, I'd suggest both Engvall and Brooks, who were quite useful members of the Marlies Championship team should be moved ahead of him.
My bad, forgot about that

Crysis

Jun 28, 2015
"He’s spent the past four seasons with Yaroslavl Lokomotiv of the KHL, reaching career highs in games played (54) and total points (36) this season."
Yegor Korshkov To Stay In KHL Another Year

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad