Proposal: Leafs Blues

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Ah, so I didn't use the term that you agree with. So we had a 6 post back and forth because I said player instead of potential. Basically it was an attempt at a "got ya". I will be happy to bookmark this thread, and maybe one day we can look at how silly this waste of time was.
Yeah, we pretty much agree, that's what I was confused about why we had a back and forth lol.

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
He's on pace for another 60 point season. Right now, you can expect 60 points. If he develops more, then you can expect more. It's why I don't have a problem if you want to say he has 70 point potential.
The person said 65-70 so it's disingenuous and just being pedantic to latch onto 70 and make a big deal of it. He scored 61 and 62 points at 20 and 21 and he's on pace for 60 now, just one good game or two away from getting in the 65-70 range. Saying he's a 67.5-point player (let's take the halfpoint) is fine. Why does everything have to be so adversarial around here?

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
The person said 65-70 so it's disingenuous and just being pedantic to latch onto 70 and make a big deal of it. He scored 61 and 62 points at 20 and 21 and he's on pace for 60 now, just one good game or two away from getting in the 65-70 range. Saying he's a 67.5-point player (let's take the halfpoint) is fine. Why does everything have to be so adversarial around here?
He's never hit 65, he's never hit 67. Those wouldn't work either. He's a 60ish point player, with potential for more.

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
He's never hit 65, he's never hit 67. Those wouldn't work either. He's a 60ish point player, with potential for more.
Yes, there's a meaningful difference between 61 points and 65 that you just have to call out this person and go back and forth with them. Is that really necessary or is it a way to try to score a "win" that doesn't really have much to do with the broader issue (which is OP's terrible, shameful proposal)? This crap happens in every thread on here and I'm sure I'm not the only one sick of it.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Yes, there's a meaningful difference between 61 points and 65 that you just have to call out this person and go back and forth with them. Is that really necessary or is it a way to try to score a "win" that doesn't really have much to do with the broader issue (which is OP's terrible, shameful proposal)? This crap happens in every thread on here and I'm sure I'm not the only one sick of it.
I mean, we came to an understand with each other, and then you came in, so it seems you have a bigger problem with it.

Robtom18

Nov 25, 2019
If in fact petro wanted to go to tor. There was an agreed extension in place. Would the following be palatable for tor.

TOR
Nylander, sandin, 1st 2021, ceci (4.5m cap dump)

STL
petro Sanford 2nd 2020

Just spit balling here? Just for the record. I don't want to trade petro. This is just for the sake of debate.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
This might be a super hot take but I don’t think the Leafs can offer me anything that would get them Thomas. The salary cap prohibits us from taking back the contracts of any of the big 3 and if we take Nylander, then we can’t afford Pietrangelo.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
This might be a super hot take but I don’t think the Leafs can offer me anything that would get them Thomas. The salary cap prohibits us from taking back the contracts of any of the big 3 and if we take Nylander, then we can’t afford Pietrangelo.

agreed. In theory sure needs plus surpluses look like they fit. But the blues have a team and system in place that is working very very well. Moving any core piece especially a core piece that is young and on an elc for multiple seasons makes absolutely 0 sense.

Yes Nylander would currently be an upgrade on Thomas. But I don’t see in any world where it would be worth losing someone in free agency over or why anyone in the blues organization would want to trade a 19 year old who last year won at every level he was put at.

landeskog11

Jan 14, 2012
sandin is untouchable, as is nylander don't know why we are trading a signed player for a ufa we'll have the option to sign for free.

Robtom18

Nov 25, 2019
sandin is untouchable, as is nylander don't know why we are trading a signed player for a ufa we'll have the option to sign for free.
I agree with you 100%. The way he broke out with sunny and Sanford when he was center was crazy good. I can not wait for him to take the next step

Robtom18

Nov 25, 2019

Since we are mentioning untouchables, I would add Robert thomas to that list.

Stopsight

Oct 9, 2013
Hawaii
ignoring the trade itself (lol)

Why would Petro ever sign a 4-5 yr deal at this age, and particularly, why would Leafs give him one when it would absolutely have to be higher AAV for him to accept?

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I know you are angry about the attrocious OP, but I think you are under selling Nylander here.

For the record, if St. Louis was worried about paying Pie, and wanted to cash in on him, I don't think there are many teams out there that could outbid Toronto.

Nylander would look excellent in St. Louis' system, although it would break my heart.

In general though, I hope Pie retires a Blue.
First, I appreciate your input, you are one of the best posters from the Leafs community, and I enjoy reading your posts. Obviously, I am not even going to respond to the OP's proposal, but I have to challenge you on the bolded in your post. It is not the first time you have made this assertion. The Blues are a defense first, hard checking team when they are at their best. Nylander is an uber-talented, but perimeter player. I can't think of a player in the NHL who hates to get hit more than William Nylander. How on earth would such a player look excellent playing for Coach Berube?

Reactions: Spazkat

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
If in fact petro wanted to go to tor. There was an agreed extension in place. Would the following be palatable for tor.

TOR
Nylander, sandin, 1st 2021, ceci (4.5m cap dump)

STL
petro Sanford 2nd 2020

Just spit balling here? Just for the record. I don't want to trade petro. This is just for the sake of debate.
Why do we want to get smaller and softer?

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
First, I appreciate your input, you are one of the best posters from the Leafs community, and I enjoy reading your posts. Obviously, I am not even going to respond to the OP's proposal, but I have to challenge you on the bolded in your post. It is not the first time you have made this assertion. The Blues are a defense first, hard checking team when they are at their best. Nylander is an uber-talented, but perimeter player. I can't think of a player in the NHL who hates to get hit more than William Nylander. How on earth would such a player look excellent playing for Coach Berube?

Thanks.

I think one of St. Louis' few weakness is creating scoring chances - both high danger and regular. This also reflects on their xGF.

SCF - 20th
SCF% - 20th
HDF - 14th
HDF% - 26th%
HDC% (how many HD chance are converted to goals) - 20th
xGF - 17th

These stats are Nylander's bread and butter. He has 9 5v5 goals and 8 5v5 assists, which would put him 1st and T-3rd respectively on the Blues.

I think 5v5 scoring is where St. Louis could be vulnerable is the PP ever goes cold, and that's exactly where Willy came help long term. I think St. Louis could give up a bit defensively to gain a lot offensively and be a better team for it.

Right now you have Walker and Sanford both likely playing 1 spot too high in the offensive rotation (if we're looking at ideal lineups) so this would push 1 person down. Willy plays both wings, and some think he can long term play C as well. I'm not sold on it, but he looked great at the Worlds a couple year ago.

Now it should be noted that even discussing this only makes sense if the following two variables are true:

1. Alex Pietrangelo is a player DA is willing to move (salary reasons, player reason, whatever it is). This deal only makes sense if Toronto is bidding against other teams, not trying to pry Pie out.

2. A top 4 of Dunn-Parayko, Bouw-Faulk is acceptable. I think Muzzin would be in the trade as well, or Dermott, so they may be in your top 4 LD as well. Muzzin is better but limited, Dermott is younger and more controllable with a lot more offensive upside. Both are top 4 D on most teams IMO.

Again, this is only if Toronto is bidding against other teams and Pie's time is coming to an end. If St. Louis wants to make it work with Pie staying around, there is 0 chance Nylander makes any difference, because Pie is just better and more valuable. In a trading scenario, though, I am not sure you get a better player (not to mention the other pieces). I don't think too many teams can give up a Nylander, and not many teams have such a gaping hole at RD to justify it. No one in the NHL has a worse RD than Toronto, and I don't think it's even close.

End of the day, as much as I'd love Pie, I hope he retires a Blue.

Why do we want to get smaller and softer?

Sandin is a heck of a player on an ELC. I wouldn't blow away that offer so easily. He's got a bit of Dunn in him.

Last edited:
Reactions: simon IC

Bluesish

Embrace Mediocracy
Nov 19, 2011
Rust Belt, USA
I opened this thread expecting to get a laugh, not disappointed.

Even before I looked at the picks this is comically bad for St. Louis.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad