Post-Game Talk: Leafs @ Blues 7 PM CBC - Polak verses Gunnarsson

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
I am happy when my team wins. Period. Happy when Carlyle's team got in the playoffs. Happy every time we beat the Sens, Habs and Canucks.

You must have me confused with one of the "at least we are losing the right way" crowd.

Pointing out shot totals is my gift to them. Highlighting in practical terms how most CF stats are generally only weakly correlated to wins.

I agree with you in general, it's not the end all be all. I just thought it was humorous how you've incessantly posted those stats after every win "the wrong way", it goes both ways.

Personally, I'd never think the shots were as close as they were tonight without seeing the box score, it felt like St. Louis had 5 shots in the last 40 and the Leafs out shot them by a fair margin, not just 1.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
Going forward Boyes will be one of the first out as the younger offensive guys come in. He knew what he was signing up for.

Boyes seems like a really cheap option for a contending team looking for some depth scoring.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Hahaha. My daughter predicted 3-1 leafs. I followed her advice in the predictions thread. She missed by 1! She's 10! I will have to listen to her more often.

Hunter74

Sep 21, 2004
It was interesting to see Gunnar on the opposition, garbage is a little harsh, but Polak came off looking a little better than this board tends to give him credit for.

I didn't actually think he played badly. Go Polak.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Gardiner played a hell of a game.....he is playing so well right now with no brain cramps and making quick decisions....

Sparks is a battler, but not impressed at this point...save selection is an issue ( using the wrong piece of equipment to make a save) this takes him out of position for the next save.

Kadri appears to be getting some puck luck and played a fantastic game.....was great at the dot and played heads up against a very good center and owned him! Loved that he dropped the gloves and handled him self well against a much bigger player.

Nice to see Polak play well in St Louis.

Last edited:

LeafsMonster

Marlanderthews
Feb 3, 2012
Toronto
Was watching the blues feed for a replay of the game and the commentator mentioned that after leo and ott exchanged words komarov skated by the blues bench and winked at ott :laugh: what a troll I love it

On a side note, rielly's post game interviews are so robotic. His eyes barely move, speaks super fast. He just seems annoyed or uncomfortable lol

Last edited:

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I was interested in seeing what the new lines meant in Babcock's head, and my hunch was correct i think:

1. Holland 17:02 - Kadri 16:37* - Komarov 17:52 (2gls)
2. VanRyk 14:36 - Bozak 16:37 - Parenteau 14:56 (1gls)
3. Mathias 13:28 - Froese 14:21 - Boyes 12:10 (1gls)
4. Grabner 12:17 - Spaling 13:40 - Winnik 11:04 (0gls)

So the top lines shuffle did end up being more of a demotion for JVR than Kadri. Kadri likely would have had a couple more minutes if he hadn't got in a fight, too.

And the spaling-winnik combo is gradually falling to 4th line status....which imo is pretty deserved, really.

and just to check a bit closer:

Even Strength

1. Holland 14:06 - Kadri 13:36 - Komarov 14:59
2. VanRyk 11:22 - Bozak 13:04 - Parenteau 11:37
3. Mathias 12:44 - Froese 13:20 - Boyes 10:54
4. Grabner 10:38 - Spaling 12:23 - Winnik 10:50

PP

1. VanRyk 3:14 - Bozak 3:33 - Parenteau 3:19
2. Holland 2:56 - Kadri 3:01 - Komarov 2:42
3. Matthias 0:09 - Froese 0:09 - Boyes 1:16

PK

1. Grabner 1:36 - Spaling 1:17
2. Matthias 0:35 - Froese 0:52
3. Komarov 0:11 - Winnik 0:14

yeah that looks about right.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Was watching the blues feed for a replay of the game and the commentator mentioned that after leo and ott exchanged words komarov skated by the blues bench and winked at ott :laugh: what a troll I love it

On a side note, rielly's post game interviews are so robotic. His eyes barely move, speaks super fast. He just seems annoyed or uncomfortable lol

Who can blame him. Remember the "girl" comment he made last season and all hell broke out.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Holland's story is starting to be an interesting one. From press box to contributor.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
I was interested in seeing what the new lines meant in Babcock's head, and my hunch was correct i think:

1. Holland 17:02 - Kadri 16:37* - Komarov 17:52 (2gls)
2. VanRyk 14:36 - Bozak 16:37 - Parenteau 14:56 (1gls)
3. Mathias 13:28 - Froese 14:21 - Boyes 12:10 (1gls)
4. Grabner 12:17 - Spaling 13:40 - Winnik 11:04 (0gls)

So the top lines shuffle did end up being more of a demotion for JVR than Kadri. Kadri likely would have had a couple more minutes if he hadn't got in a fight, too.

And the spaling-winnik combo is gradually falling to 4th line status....which imo is pretty deserved, really.

I agree that the Spaling-Winnik combo has not been good lately (and Grabner has never been good). BUT, has it been worse than Froese and Matthias?

I hate that we have Froese AND Spaling as our bottom 6 centers. Two centers who can't produce points is killing off pretty much all of our secondary scoring. Komarov, Holland, Matthias, and Boyes can all play center and can all produce some points here and there. I even think Arcobello deserves another shot.

Babcock puts way too much emphasis on faceoff wins. Using a guy like Matthias (who is horrible at faceoffs and the worst of the lot) as the 3C would result in less than one more faceoff loss per game.

OvenMittz*

Kadri had a good game, but can he sustain it for the rest of the season.

Holland on that line helped, but he also needs to keep this level of play up. Good on them both.

The winnik line will play better once lupul gets healthy again.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Kadri had a good game, but can he sustain it for the rest of the season.

Holland on that line helped, but he also needs to keep this level of play up. Good on them both.

The winnik line will play better once lupul gets healthy again.

Doubtful, but in fairness I can't remember a player sustaining 2 GAG + a fight each night.

This was a good game for Kadri, one of many he has had this season (arguably his best), but he's had a few similar nights without the production.

Thought Gardiner was great, so slippery and great exits.

Leaf Warrior

Jan 16, 2015
Pretty careless by him though. Obviously I'm a little bias by being female, but I hate that people still say stuff like that.

I know he didn't mean any offense though. Just one of those phrases lol

Nothing was wrong with saying what he said and its sad he had to apologize for it. PC everywhere!

CPEf45YUEAEqUT3.jpg

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Pretty careless by him though. Obviously I'm a little bias by being female, but I hate that people still say stuff like that.

I understand your point.
As a male, we say stupid things from time to time.
I don't believe it was meant as a derogatory remark to all the hard work and sacrifice women have put into making the sport great for all.
Like you say, poor choice of words. The team was an absolute joke at the time he said this, lowest point I can remember as a Leaf fan.
Something needed to be said and emotion picked the wrong phrase.
Perhaps babies or whiners would have been more apt but even then it's hard to say. Last years Leaf team would even had offended all the babies of the world with their play.

Leaf Warrior

Jan 16, 2015
I understand your point.
As a male, we say stupid things from time to time.
I don't believe it was meant as a derogatory remark to all the hard work and sacrifice women have put into making the sport great for all.
Like you say, poor choice of words. The team was an absolute joke at the time he said this, lowest point I can remember as a Leaf fan.
Something needed to be said and emotion picked the wrong phrase.
Perhaps babies or whiners would have been more apt but even then it's hard to say. Last years Leaf team would even had offended all the babies of the world with their play.

I can't believe you just insulted the million of babies around the world. Babies deserve more respect free from judgement while they cry! :sarcasm:

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden

It's a stupid comment, one of those things that gets said without thought going into how derogatory it is.

If a friend of mine said that, I'd point out that it was stupid of him and why it is so, and that would be that. I really wish the same thing would be true for Rielly in this case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce