Post-Game Talk: Leafs Blow Another Lead, Lose to Avs

Status
Not open for further replies.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I will agree I dont like him on the top line with 34 and 16, however, In no way should Knies be in the AHL....sheesh. . I thought he looked his best alongside Domi and Marner.

At this point, it would be difficult to suggest Knies earned it and is running with it any more than McMan, Robertson, Jarnkrok.

Maybe marner and Matthews are making a play for Holmberg to be on their line?

Reactions: Shanwhatplan

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I think Marner would thrive playing on a line that he drives. When he was with Domi and Knies a few games back I thought he looked more like his old self than I had seen in a while.
I wouldn't mind seeing that again, as I think they compliment Mitch better than either Matty or JT, because he isn't looking for the spectacular pass the same way.

Jarnkrok or Bert or even Gregor would fit in the top line with Matty and Willy.

The problem is that you then have JT centering the third line, which could be a defensive disaster.

Reactions: myleafs and arso40

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Games like this make me wonder how and what this team is built for. We have some good individual pieces, but they need some D and the offense is shallow with little speed
That was the situation six years ago, and the solution was to spend a ton of money on a slow forward who is weak defensively.

It will continue to be the situation until that 'solution' is gone.

Reactions: Drytoast

Strangle

May 4, 2009
I don't even know if it's solely game management. Remember when Kerfoot got boarded right in the numbers, no call. Or when Marchand injured Liljegren a couple of months ago, no call. Or when Matthews got cross checked by Chiarot, no call. Or when Knies was slammed into the ice by Bennett, no call.

This isn't being missed by the refs. This isn't a missed high stick, or slash to the hands. The refs are seeing this, and just deciding to not call the penalty. Why? No one really knows. But it is a conscious decision by the refs.

I think we know why. It’s because this team was built under a false premise.

Shanny believe that that ‘our powerplay’ is our toughness. And on the surface and if the NHL made any sense, that would be a reasonable stance to take.

However, the refs will never call a fair game straight down the middle. So you are forced to either get called for borderline/phantom penalties or get called on every single infraction you make during the game …. Or, you can make so many infractions that the refs need to pick and choose which ones to call.

Tamp, Boston, Florida, they all play this was and have had success.

No one plays like Toronto (in this context) and has had success.

You need to be willing to goon it up in this league and anyone who says otherwise hasn’t been paying attention

Reactions: All Mod Cons

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
It's the idiots on these boards who were declaring to "Pay Willy his money" or "you can't let a guy like Willy walk"

Should have traded him and sent a message.
You trade him this teams done and marners getting 12.75 for 8 years

Strangle

May 4, 2009
It's the idiots on these boards who were declaring to "Pay Willy his money" or "you can't let a guy like Willy walk"

Now that Willy has finally signed his big contract, like everyone advocated for, that means the team is better now, right?

You trade him this teams done and marners getting 12.75 for 8 years

I hope Treliving and Dubas have been discussing a trade around Marner

• Haha
Reactions: Drytoast and arso40

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Now that Willy has finally signed his big contract, like everyone advocated for, that means the team is better now, right?

I hope Treliving and Dubas have been discussing a trade around Marner

Why would having Willy signed now make us any better than we were a week ago? Did anyone actually claim that?

Well, that is certainly an opinion. Not one that can ever be substantiated though, so not sure how valuable it is.

To each their own but I’d personally rather focus on how we build what we are committed to into a cup winner than dwell on what we think should have been done differently. End of the day we are all powerless so it’s an effort in futility to lament past decisions you think were poor

Willy is here for the next 8 years. It’s time to get on board. Let’s now figure out how we get the most out of him for that time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Menzinger

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
Why would having Willy signed now make us any better than we were a week ago? Did anyone actually claim that?

Well, that is certainly an opinion. Not one that can ever be substantiated though, so not sure how valuable it is.
He has more value to us then the rest of the league is basically what tre said marner however clearly has more value to the league then us he made the all star team ffs?how did he pull that off he’s had a very sub par year

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017

To each their own but I’d personally rather focus on how we build what we are committed to into a cup winner than dwell on what we think should have been done differently. End of the day we are all powerless so it’s an effort in futility to lament past decisions you think were poor
If you are of the opinion that we should have paid Willy 11+ like we did, then your opinion as to how the f*** we work around that albatross is going to likely be misguided.

As for me?

Ditch Marner expecting he will not waive his NTC or he can resign as 8-9. JT can stay but has to re sign as 3-4. If neither agree then they both walk. Assess your good assets and determine where we need help. We need a legit power forward. A leader. Matthews ain't it. Nylander...ain't it. We need to address this as it's our biggest f***ing weakness.

JT and Marner need to go and you need to get someone who can actually lead this team with their work ethic and heart in games that matter. The problem is, by act of contract...Matthews and Nylander are the de facto leaders of this team which is why we get rolled whenever a team leans on us.

We really are f***ed.

Last edited:

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
If you are of the opinion that we should have paid Willy 11+ like we did, then your opinion as to how the f*** we work around that albatross is going to likely be misguided.

Well, I’ve never said I think he should have gotten what we gave him. I said, I think he should have been around 10.5M and I stick by that. Doesn’t change that he is signed now and he won’t be going anywhere. So how do we win with him? And don’t tell me we can’t.

End of the day, Tre knows exactly what this deal does to the team, cap wise, and signed it anyway, which to me says they have a plan to correct our cap allotment issues. If they are winging it, that’d be a big problem, but too early to determine that.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Well, I’ve never said I think he should have gotten what we gave him. I said, I think he should have been around 10.5M and I stick by that. Doesn’t change that he is signed now and he won’t be going anywhere. So how do we win with him? And don’t tell me we can’t.

End of the day, Tre knows exactly what this deal does to the team, cap wise, and signed it anyway, which to me says they have a plan to correct our cap allotment issues.
Tre broke the Calgary flames. I do not trust in Tre's vision longterm for this club. He is a buffoon. Shanny is really in charge anyways.

Reactions: Leterman

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Tre broke the Calgary flames. I do not trust in Tre's vision longterm for this club. He is a buffoon. Shanny is really in charge anyways.

I would probably argue moreso than Tre that Gaudreau & Tkachuk broke the Flames, but I think it’s reasonable to have concerns.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
At this point, it would be difficult to suggest Knies earned it and is running with it any more than McMan, Robertson, Jarnkrok.

Maybe marner and Matthews are making a play for Holmberg to be on their line?

Not every day you get to play with your favorite player in the league.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
That was the situation six years ago, and the solution was to spend a ton of money on a slow forward who is weak defensively.

It will continue to be the situation until that 'solution' is gone.
Not really, we were pretty deep 6 years ago and had good speed overall. The D sucked though and defensive awareness upfront was pretty suspect then. Speed and depth were solid

Last edited:

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018

As for me?

Ditch Marner expecting he will not waive his NTC or he can resign as 8-9. JT can stay but has to re sign as 3-4. If neither agree then they both walk. Assess your good assets and determine where we need help. We need a legit power forward. A leader. Matthews ain't it. Nylander...ain't it. We need to address this as it's our biggest f***ing weakness.

JT and Marner need to go and you need to get someone who can actually lead this team with their work ethic and heart in games that matter. The problem is, by act of contract...Matthews and Nylander are the de facto leaders of this team which is why we get rolled whenever a team leans on us.

We really are f***ed.
JT cannot stay under any circumstance. He's the biggest issue. I can't believe you suggest to re-sign Tavares

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
When I saw what Willy got I thought, oh boy we are screwed. We held the line only to overpay? I like Willy but not that much. I'm convinced this contract forces big changes if we lose first round. You cannot. Justify these wages and then such a weak entourage around it and we don't have a goalie !

Oct 18, 2010
When I saw what Willy got I thought, oh boy we are screwed. We held the line only to overpay? I like Willy but not that much. I'm convinced this contract forces big changes if we lose first round. You cannot. Justify these wages and then such a weak entourage around it and we don't have a goalie !

They can and will. They REALLY believe that winning is all about luck. Look at their comments as an organization on locker clean out. Talking about chances and shooting luck. It's embarrassing and pathetic. Also it's disrespectful to the sport.

They will re-sign Marner to an overpaid contract and be happy with the one round playoff revenue. With how soft the market has now become, they'll get away with it.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

I'm not sure what the Nylander contract has to do with now, or yesterday, or the rest of this season.

It doesn't take effect until next season.

But I think it was affecting Nylander, and he's taken a breather the past couple of games. That happens throughout the season for almost every player not name McDavid. Review the entire season for every Leafs player and you'll find periods when they haven't been on. Matthews went one 7 game stretch and only had points in 1 of them.

I think we knew before the season even started we had upcoming issues on defence.

No one is surprised.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
If we lose first round all bets are off. He may even get traded where we eat half his salary and move on.
if we lose first round, both Marner and Tavares have to go. And I don't give a flying f*** about how much that upsets Matthews.

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005

As for me?

We really are f***ed.
Trading Marner because we overpaid Nylander would be stacking even more mistakes on top of the existing ones. Tavares is the one who needs to go, as he's the one who isn't even close to his current contract.

if we lose first round, both Marner and Tavares have to go. And I don't give a flying f*** about how much that upsets Matthews.
I'm really looking forward to the day we try to rebuild around an aging Nylander, aren't you?

• Haha
Reactions: Drytoast
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad