Post-Game Talk: Leafs Blow Another Lead, Lose to Avs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
By now this is blatantly obvious to upper brass.

How is not the coach NOW

Blue jackets loss was a shame. Coaching
Habs loss. Coaching. No way a rebuild team with 1 star beats a team with like 6 that year.

The bolts handshake gushing.
Keefe hurts the team more than he helps.

It’s been like 3 to 4 years… he needs to go.

Tre will be forgiven if he fires this guy before next season

His stacked Matthews, Marner, Nylander trio was so braindead. When does that combination ever work unless it's a 6 on 5 situation.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I don't even know if it's solely game management. Remember when Kerfoot got boarded right in the numbers, no call. Or when Marchand injured Liljegren a couple of months ago, no call. Or when Matthews got cross checked by Chiarot, no call. Or when Knies was slammed into the ice by Bennett, no call.

This isn't being missed by the refs. This isn't a missed high stick, or slash to the hands. The refs are seeing this, and just deciding to not call the penalty. Why? No one really knows. But it is a conscious decision by the refs.

It's pretty obvious that if the Leafs have an advantage in the game, the refs want to balance it out and give the other team a shot at coming back or whatever. If the Leafs are behind or the game is tied, the whistles go away so it doesn't feel like the officiating is favoring Toronto, giving them an undo advantage.

It reads like the league doesn't mind erring on the side of bias against the Golden Goose because 1) Toronto fans keep eating this shit up and the highest dollars anyway 2) Want to make the game friendly and accessible for casual markets, which is at least 25% of the league and will not cater to the supposed 'Evil Empire.' and 3) The want to promote their suite of NBC/ESPN friendly teams, and Colorado happens to be one of their US darlings.

Reactions: All Mod Cons

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Keefe is brainless. Need a better coach. A coach that actually can get the top guys to buy and play a structure game as well as everyone to be accountable.

The guy manages the game like NuHockey is basketball. Treat everyone below a certain on the depth chart like they're NBA bench scum instead of building up stable roles and building their confidence, rewarding their small contributions with more responsibility over time.

I'm not a massive Nick Robertson fan, but how does a young guy manage to score 3 goals in 4 games then get benched for the next 2?

How does Domi score the opening goal in the Avs game, look like he's hanging in nicely with his skating, think he made a nice cross crease set up, and then gets something like 11 minutes?

Keefe coaches based on fear, favoritism and has no clue about building trust and managing momentum. The guy sucks. Move on from him, get Berube, patch up the blueline and never look back.

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
flyers fan coming in peace, i seriously dont get what this fo sees in Keefe, for some reason they keep thinking that you need offense to win games and yet it doesnt work, you need a defensive structure, that's why leafs cant get over the hump, they refuse to bring in a defensive coach.
I feel the biggest problem lies with Shanahan and his undying belief in this core and cap structure, as well as Keefe being his puppet, which in turn makes me think this could be coming directly from MLSE.

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
His stacked Matthews, Marner, Nylander trio was so braindead. When does that combination ever work unless it's a 6 on 5 situation.
Keefe said he did this because Nylander wasn't doing much and because that Avs top line played in a higher league.

Unreal that they even brought this guy back for this season.

Reactions: Leterman

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
flyers fan coming in peace, i seriously dont get what this fo sees in Keefe, for some reason they keep thinking that you need offense to win games and yet it doesnt work, you need a defensive structure, that's why leafs cant get over the hump, they refuse to bring in a defensive coach.

Sheldon Keefe is the Justin Holl of coaches, like a random mediocre homegrown product that needs to go.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
By now this is blatantly obvious to upper brass.

How is not the coach NOW

Blue jackets loss was a shame. Coaching
Habs loss. Coaching. No way a rebuild team with 1 star beats a team with like 6 that year.

The bolts handshake gushing.
Keefe hurts the team more than he helps.

It’s been like 3 to 4 years… he needs to go.

Tre will be forgiven if he fires this guy before next season

Tre I'll give you the tools to figure out what is obvious to most fans :

DMAIC.png

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Keefe said he did this because Nylander wasn't doing much and because that Avs top line played in a higher league.

Unreal that they even brought this guy back for this season.

That quote is so unacceptable to me. The Avs are a .686 team, not stars from another planet. Your job to neutralize a skills competition as a coach. You know, how like every effing team manages to neutralize Toronto's stars from a higher league come spring? What. A. Dope.

myleafs

May 25, 2021
You mean Sedin isn't "you can punch me in the face in front of the officials and not get a penalty" in Swedish?
I lived in Vancouver during that incident....embarrassing. Sedin towered over Marchand and if he had just stood up for himself (sound familiar?) instead of taking 4 shots to the head with no response, I truly believe the Canucks would have rallied. Instead they wilted. He didnt need to fight but he could have easily rag dolled Marchand. They didnt lose because of the refs.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
There are a lot of holes that need to be filled for this team to be a serious contender. It will take years, there's no quick fix to this.

Ideally you've got:

Knies Matthews Nylander
xxx xxx xxx
Xxx Domi Jarnkrok
Holmberg Kampf xxx

Rielly xxxx
Xxx Liljegren
McCabe xxx

Xxx
Woll

That's going to take years to fix. The previous regime stripped away do many assets during their time in charge. How are we supposed to find two top 4 dmen with only Cowan and Minten (ish) holding value and a lack of draft picks.

Last year in particular was set to be one last hurrah and now we will pay for all those years of spending at the deadline.

No offence but Knies is not a first line LW, the guy is very talented but he is young and loads of room to grow, and of course the Leafs dont do what is best for his development and let him dominate the game at the AHL level, they force him to play 1st line in the biggest meat grinder of a hockey market in the world.

One stupid decision after the next... this team is so f-ing dysfunctional.

Last edited:
Reactions: Leterman

myleafs

May 25, 2021
No offence but Knies is not a first line LW, the guy has very talented but he is young and loads of room to grow, and of course the Leafs dont do what is best for his development and let him dominate the game at the AHL level, they force him to play 1st line in the biggest meat grinder of a hockey market in the world.

I will agree I dont like him on the top line with 34 and 16, however, In no way should Knies be in the AHL....sheesh. . I thought he looked his best alongside Domi and Marner.

Reactions: Shanwhatplan

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
I will agree I dont like him on the top line with 34 and 16, however, In no way should Knies be in the AHL....sheesh. . I thought he looked his best alongside Domi and Marner.

AHL is a teach league, its mean to lean and gain confidence, it's not a bad thing to play the AHL, Kadri, Nylander, other stars did. His skills would be wasted on the 3rd line, he is supposed to be a power winger, very little power in his game except for the game after he came back He should be playing more like Brady Tkachuk but you can see he is trying to play like a softer Matthews.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
That quote is so unacceptable to me. The Avs are a .686 team, not stars from another planet. Your job to neutralize a skills competition as a coach. You know, how like every effing team manages to neutralize Toronto's stars from a higher league come spring? What. A. Dope.

Keefe is not the brightest Street light on the Street. You got an alternate coach on the bench who did this travesty of a system, you are telling me there is no left wing lock or neutral zone trap or some other f-ing defensive system you can employ to slow down the Jesus line from another league?

That stupid stupid statement then beg's to ask if YOU cant figure out how to shut down the elite lines from other teams, how in F does that same team turn your best 6 players stat line into 0 G / 0 A / -8 +/ - . Bednar some how figured out how to shut down both of your "elite" lines... If other coaches can do it WHY THE F cant you?

Tre do you see this coach for what he is? He is telling you, he has limits and those limits will prevent the best players in the history of the Leafs from reaching their full potential.

Last edited:

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
No offence but Knies is not a first line LW, the guy has very talented but he is young and loads of room to grow, and of course the Leafs dont do what is best for his development and let him dominate the game at the AHL level, they force him to play 1st line in the biggest meat grinder of a hockey market in the world.

I agree Knies isn't a 1st line winger yet. I just wanted one complete line. Haha.

There are a lot of holes in the lineup and I'd rather the Leafs don't trade anything away for help this year unless it's a minor deal.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
I agree Knies isn't a 1st line winger yet. I just wanted one complete line. Haha.

There are a lot of holes in the lineup and I'd rather the Leafs don't trade anything away for help this year unless it's a minor deal.

I agree dont trade shit unless its for controllable young assets that are here for more than 2 months. Why dump trade capital on a team that is only going to be out in 4 in the first round?

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
Tavares is a worse player than Kadri and RoR now

He should be at 6M max

Such a gross overpayment
He's on pace for 16 even strength goals this year as we head into the 2nd half of the season (nearly).

We have many problems with this team, but John Tavares at 11mil is the biggest of them all.

Reactions: 6ix

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Keefe is not the brightest Street light on the Street. You got an alternate coach on the bench who did this travesty of a system, you are telling me there is no left wing lock or neutral zone trap or some other f-ing defensive system you can employ to slow down the Jesus line from another league?

That stupid stupid statement then beg's to ask if YOU cant figure out how to shut down the elite lines from other teams, how in F does that same team turn your best 6 players stat line into 0 G / 0 A / -8 +/ - . Bednar some how figured out how to shut down both of your "elite" lines... If other coaches can do it WHY THE F cant you?

Tre do you see this coach for what he is? He is telling you, he has limits and those limits will prevent the best players in the history of the Leafs from wreaching their full potential.

Shutting down Mackinnon, Rantanen and Makar isn't an "easy" job but when it's 3-0 and it's the regular season you just need to focus as a team and refer to structure. If you're playing a rush happy team, I think you turn it into a neutral zone plug up job with annoying back pressure. One you want to impede the clean runway for Mackinnon to wind up, you want to prevent a clean seam pass to Rantanen, and you don't want to sag so much to give the entire blueline to Makar to dance. You're supposedly an NHL coach, figure it out.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I lived in Vancouver during that incident....embarrassing. Sedin towered over Marchand and if he had just stood up for himself (sound familiar?) instead of taking 4 shots to the head with no response, I truly believe the Canucks would have rallied. Instead they wilted. He didnt need to fight but he could have easily rag dolled Marchand. They didnt lose because of the refs.

That brings us back to officiating.

Sedins were probably under the mistaken impression the Refs were there to enforce the rules.

Coyotes are all you need to know about transparency and integrity in the NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad