Pre-Game Talk: Leafs @ Blackhawks - Saturday, October 19 - Bolland's return to the United Center

• Thread starter Penalty Kill Icing*
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

Penalty Kill Icing*

^ He wasn't bashing Kessel there or naming him the reason that we lose.

He simply said that he needs the other winger to clear up some space for him because the Center isn't exactly an offensive juggernaut.

Goonface2k14

Nov 25, 2009
Maple Leaf Gardens
Isn't that the same for every "soft" winger?

Look at Patrick Kane, I haven't seen the Hawks this year but I highly doubt he does any of the dirty work on his line.

Soft hands, insane playmaking and vision...when you're a PPG player, you're allowed some slack.

We win more games than we lose without Kessel...besides, Kessel wasn't the problem last night despite a disappearing act by the 1st line. It was our porous defense that was giving up breakaways, and a terrible effort by the entire team after going up 2-0.

There is no cruise control in the NHL when you have a 2 goal lead. You have to play till the buzzer, Leafs played for about 30 minutes last night.

Yes, its not just a Phil thing - totally agree. Although I do think Patrick Kane's puck handling ability, which is far superior to Phil's (who is probably a bit faster and has a deadlier snapshot), allows him to get by guys and create his own chances. There's very few guys who can dangle like Kane.

Not blaming Phil for last night, I agree that it was a team loss. They looked scrambly in the third and it felt like it was just a matter of time before the Canes put one in.

I'm just giving my two cents on why Phil seemed invisible. No offense to Mason Raymond, but he's also a smaller speed guy who can't take on big d-men one-on-one. I guess Randy was out of options with all of the guys on the shelf. Perhaps he could've reunited Phil with Lupul, but then where does that leave Kadri and the second line?

Hopefully JVR is good to go Sat night and this is all put to rest.

Mar 26, 2010
This is going to get messy for the Leafs. I see a blow out against the Hawks. Could see the team out of the playoff picture by December.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I know why our possession sucks...and if I say it people are going to be pissed.

Dion Phaneuf and Gunnarsson are an absolutely terrible pairing.

When you watch the game against Chicago...I just want people to notice how long we're in our zone when Phaneuf/Gunnar are on the ice.

I bet it will be higher than 80% of their shifts. Gunnar or Phaneuf just don't have the ability to skate with the puck under pressure.

When your top pairing sucks at moving the puck, you're going to be outshot, simple as that.

Pair Phaneuf with Gardiner, Gunnar with Rielly and we'll be much better in our zone.

Carlyle seems to have suffocated the talent out of Rielly/Gardiner at this point...I don't see any of those players even attempting to rush even when there are chances with forwards backing them up...

Our possession will always be terrible if Phaneuf-Gunnar remain as the top pairing. I am questioning if a player like Phaneuf actually deserves a raise on 6.5M or not.

He'll look much better if he's paired with Gardiner or Rielly IMO.

Been thinking about this a lot and I really do feel that the best defenseman is a defenseman that doesn't spend any of his time in his own zone.

No wonder players like Duncan Keith, PK Subban, Erik Karlsson, OEL, Weber, Suter, Pietrangelo etc are so good. They are flat out better skaters with the puck than Phaneuf.

Gardiner has outplayed Phaneuf in these last 3 games and he's bailed out Paul Ranger a couple of times too. He doesn't spend much time in our zone...certainly not as much as our top pairing.

Time to change the pairings and philosophy before 6-2 ends up being 6-6 and back to square one. We have the right group of defenders...just not put in a position to succeed.

TL;DR: If your top pairing is out there for 25 minutes and they suck at moving the puck, you're going to be outshot/"out possessed"/"out cycled" most of the times.

Goonface2k14

Nov 25, 2009
Maple Leaf Gardens
This is going to get messy for the Leafs. I see a blow out against the Hawks. Could see the team out of the playoff picture by December.

Based on the fact that they had what would've projected to 97 points last season (placing them third in the Atlantic with this season's alignment), or what would project to 123 points this season?

Great insight.

Last edited:

LeafOfBread

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga, ON
I know why our possession sucks...and if I say it people are going to be pissed..

Phaneuf is fine, it's Gunnarsson who should be relegated soon, but unfortunately we don't have a puck mover who is at least as good defensively as Gunnar is just yet, though Rielly is coming along quite nicely.

Phaneuf is one of the best 'puck rushers' in the league, not a straight PMD, but a puck rusher in the sense that he can use his strength and accelerate effectively in carrying the puck out, and sometimes it leads to beautiful plays (remember that Grabo OT goal against Pittsburgh a few years back? Phaneuf started all of that).

There was a stat called zone exits that a guy started tracking back in the 2011-2012 season. Phaneuf was one of the best defensemen in the league in this regard.

http://www.hockeyprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=1467

Interesting to note that Dan Girardi, a guy that everyone seems to want so badly, is horrible at this aspect.

Goonface2k14

Nov 25, 2009
Maple Leaf Gardens
Phaneuf is fine, it's Gunnarsson who should be relegated soon, but unfortunately we don't have a puck mover who is at least as good defensively as Gunnar is just yet, though Rielly is coming along quite nicely.

Phaneuf is one of the best 'puck rushers' in the league, not a straight PMD, but a puck rusher in the sense that he can use his strength and accelerate effectively in carrying the puck out, and sometimes it leads to beautiful plays (remember that Grabo OT goal against Pittsburgh a few years back? Phaneuf started all of that).

There was a stat called zone exits that a guy started tracking back in the 2011-2012 season. Phaneuf was one of the best defensemen in the league in this regard.

Interesting to note that Dan Girardi, a guy that everyone seems to want so badly, is horrible at this aspect.

I've been watching those two closely, and I think they've been fine. I don't get where all of the criticism is coming from. Gunnar has looked much better to me this season compared to last. Phaneuf, although not the fleetest of foot, is tough to knock off the puck when he carries it up the ice (like you said). I have no issues with the pairing, so far.

ThrowDemTongs

kid named jeff finger
Mar 21, 2013
Coquitlam, BC

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Let's not be too optimistic here.

I hope we ****ing crush Chicago. I like them and everything, but we need a "statement" game. No quarter. Burn them all.

Due North

Mar 16, 2010

I agree. I don't bother to post much anymore. Too many young people
that get excited . Detroit has already caught up and it will be only a matter
of time for the other teams to blow past them.

EitherOr

Oct 13, 2013
Toronto, Ont
I agree. I don't bother to post much anymore. Too many young people
that get excited . Detroit has already caught up and it will be only a matter
of time for the other teams to blow past them.

Ah, too early to tell. If at the 40 game mark we aren't playing well and finally have had a full roster, different story.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto

Well then Gunnar is definitely a boat anchor even if he's good defensively. We're in our zone far too often when that first pairing is on the ice.

Don't see why Gardiner can't be on that pairing instead.

rdogg

I cry your pardon
Aug 4, 2010
PEI
The Leafs always seem to play to the level of their competition, so I'm predicting a close game. Hopefully JVR will be playing on saturday.

The Beyonder

Jan 16, 2007
I have a good feeling about this one actually. 3-1 leafs in overtime

If they manage to get 2 goals in OT, then just give them the cup. :laugh: :sarcasm:

I think they'll probably lose this game, but that's not something to frown on, or be pessimistic about.

It's always amusing that people constantly make the pessimistic opinion into the default realistic opinion. The leafs are 6-2, their best start in 20 years, while for the most part not playing up to their potential, and people are already calling them to miss the playoffs. I think people need to simmer down on both fronts, the leafs are realistically a 3-4 seed team in their conference, we'll see if they play up to their potential; or perhaps even surpass it.

TheBigThree

Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Just goes to show how useles bozak is. If jvr or lupul is not playing, kessel is alone out there because bozo is a black hole. Wish we had a 1c.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad