Line Combos: Leafs' biggest need?

Leafs' biggest need?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
how about a power play that works consistently? why is this so hard to fix? are NHL assistant coaches all useless, is there no one in the world that could be hired to structure one?

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
how about a power play that works consistently? why is this so hard to fix? are NHL assistant coaches all useless, is there no one in the world that could be hired to structure one?

To have that you would need an elite sniper and a elite set up guy, those guys don't grow on trees .. ;)

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
If slow starts were an issue, you’d have a point about needing a training camp. Under Keefe, the Leafs have always started fast and faded over the course of the season, culminating in embarrassing playoff losses. It seems that the more time he has to prepare, the worse he does.

I would speculate that the issue is more that the other coaches, with more time, can easily develop a plan to counter the Leaf strengths, and Keefe has not demonstrated the ability to adapt.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
The only think Keefe has shown is is inability or unwillingness to adapt and adjust in game strategy and deployment of his players.
He has certainly shown his inability to fix or improve the failing PP.
I’m pretty sure I read somewhere he doesn’t believe in line matching.
He makes no effort to get his top offensive players away the the opposition’s checking line who then shuts them down with ease.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
I would speculate that the issue is more that the other coaches, with more time, can easily develop a plan to counter the Leaf strengths, and Keefe has not demonstrated the ability to adapt.

Especially in the playoffs
And if it's anything like last year, Simmonds will get a regular shift no matter what

Reactions: egd27

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013

This is the truth...

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario

That’s what I meant. The more time there is for all teams to prepare, the more it exposes him.

After this season’s loss, we was asked about the PP, and his response was absolutely baffling. He said that both seasons the PP started out hot - best in the league - and couldn’t continue the pace. Well duh, the other teams figured out what we were doing and implemented counter measures. We didn’t adjust and the other teams got better and better at disrupting our same old PP. Keefe even said in the answer that he didn’t change anything, so he didn’t understand why it stopped working. Unbelievable.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
The only think Keefe has shown is is inability or unwillingness to adapt and adjust in game strategy and deployment of his players.
He has certainly shown his inability to fix or improve the failing PP.
I’m pretty sure I read somewhere he doesn’t believe in line matching.
He makes no effort to get his top offensive players away the the opposition’s checking line who then shuts them down with ease.

Well to be fair to Keefe he has shown the more his plan is neutralized the more he goes to his stars to bail him out. The more I see AM , MM, WN, JT on the ice, the more I realize that Keefe thinks he is in trouble. It's his version of a Hail Mary... I got nothing ..so F it... I'm just going to throw these guys out 25 minutes a game and hope they can save my OHL bacon...

He's not a fan of line matching, he thinks his talent is better than your talent so he will die on that hill every time, which if you are a good coach you will read this and adjust your lines accordingly.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
For sure. My only pause is whether or not he’s just following instructions from his boss. We know Dubas is out of touch and about his numbers with little experience actually playing or coaching hockey - I think there’s a chance he’s instructed Keefe to ‘stay the course’ so the ‘numbers can normalize’ etc etc

Keefe might not actually be this dumb, I think it’s more about the directions he’s given.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
That’s what I meant. The more time there is for all teams to prepare, the more it exposes him.

After this season’s loss, we was asked about the PP, and his response was absolutely baffling. He said that both seasons the PP started out hot - best in the league - and couldn’t continue the pace. Well duh, the other teams figured out what we were doing and implemented counter measures. We didn’t adjust and the other teams got better and better at disrupting our same old PP. Keefe even said in the answer that he didn’t change anything, so he didn’t understand why it stopped working. Unbelievable.

It did start hot but the logic that the stats will come back to the "mean" is biffing to me. If you start out hot and your season average comes back to average, that means you tanked the 2nd part of the season. If average is 20% and you start out at 40%, you have to be riding around a 10% rate for a long time to hit that 20%... the % is weighted by the number of opportunities you have but still you have to be really crappy for a long time to get back to average.

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
The team is missing a top level offensive D. Rielly is okay but he’s sort of tool no tool box. Need an intelligent, offensive defenceman, the team doesn’t really have one unless Sandin makes the step. For how dominant the team was last regular season the points for defence on this team was pretty low (didn’t check the final totals but back close to end of season leafs were second last in the league). The lack of a capable offensive D probably played a role in that shit powerplay.

Last edited:

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
The team is missing a top level offensive D. Rielly is okay but he’s sort of tool no tool box. Need an intelligent, offensive defenceman, the team doesn’t really have one unless Sandin makes the step. For how dominant the team was last regular season the points for defence on this team was pretty low (didn’t check the totals but back close to end of season leafs were second last in the league). The lack of a top offensive D probably played a role in that shit powerplay.

Muz had some time on the PP in LA but cant get a sniff over here. He's got a bomb of a shot too.

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
Muz had some time on the PP in LA but cant get a sniff over here. He's got a bomb of a shot too.
Yeah, he wouldn’t be great on the deception and agility part but if they set some plays where his shot is utilized then maybe they could have some success. Team just seems so hesitant on the pp

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
The team is missing a top level offensive D. Rielly is okay but he’s sort of tool no tool box. Need an intelligent, offensive defenceman, the team doesn’t really have one unless Sandin makes the step. For how dominant the team was last regular season the points for defence on this team was pretty low (didn’t check the final totals but back close to end of season leafs were second last in the league). The lack of a capable offensive D probably played a role in that shit powerplay.

Reilly is tied for 7th in points among all defencemen over the past 3 years. That's pretty top level.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Our plan is to put guys who don't shoot, or can't shoot on the PP. Working well!

LOL Lumberg... Yeah ... ummmmm.. I'm gonna have to ask you NOT to shoot... and come in on the weekend... did you fill out a TPS report before you took that shot.... Ummmm.. yeah....

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
:punk:

The not shooting thing seemed to have everything to do with getting Matthews his cookies. It seemed so predictable who was going to pass and who was going to shoot on the PP.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
.0416 in the postseason and 0-2 in elimination games.

You know your argument is bad when you have to cut sample size to make your point. America has a political party looking for your type

But he is not cutting the sample size is he? 5 wins in 12 games is 41.67% winning percentage. It is the full sample of Keefe playoff games. If anything he is complaining because the sample is too small, why is it small? because the team under Keefe has not been able to make it bigger by winning any of the 4 games they could have eliminated their opponent and moved on.

Reactions: NinjaKick

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
:punk:

The not shooting thing seemed to have everything to do with getting Matthews his cookies. It seemed so predictable who was going to pass and who was going to shoot on the PP.

Kinda felt that way, it might be just because Marner knows Matthews is a great shooter and he's trying to give the puck to the guy who has the greatest chance to score or it could be that Matthews might be a whiney douche (not saying he is but its possible). On the PP we have to get Marner away from Matthews. its killing's Matthews ability to score and its killings Marners effectiveness on the PK.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
Exactly and in game 5 and 7 where he had last change in these playoffs why did Marner and Matthews play so much against Danault line? With last change you can minimize that, trap Danault on ice against someone else. Maybe the M&M get a few less mins overall but they are more productive against someone else. Game 1 of Finals Cooper had his big line out against Suzuki line all night. No Danault to slow them down and they neutralized the best scoring line of Mtl by making them play D all night.

Vegas made the same mistake. Coaching matters a lot in Playoffs

Reactions: NinjaKick and egd27

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Well to be fair to Keefe he has shown the more his plan is neutralized the more he goes to his stars to bail him out. The more I see AM , MM, WN, JT on the ice, the more I realize that Keefe thinks he is in trouble. It's his version of a Hail Mary... I got nothing ..so F it... I'm just going to throw these guys out 25 minutes a game and hope they can save my OHL bacon...

He's not a fan of line matching, he thinks his talent is better than your talent so he will die on that hill every time, which if you are a good coach you will read this and adjust your lines accordingly.
Yup. His go to move is to keep throwing his “best” guys out there even after they repeatedly fail to produce.
Peewee house league coaching 101

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

The next time we see Keefe giving Matthews & Marner another 3-4 minute straight shift at the end of a game, in an attempt to mount a late comeback with the goalie out, your suspicions will be confirmed and so will those of others that are witnessing these same strange coaching strategies unfold and only left shaking our heads :shakehead in disbelief . :amazed:

When you see the NHL playoff scoring leader Kucherov put up 32 points and his ATOI/g is 18:18, and you see Marner and Matthews averaging nearly 25 minutes a night despite the lack of offensive contribution, without any attempt to line match, or break them up and try something different, then we know he has nothing else.

When the opposition has predesignated designs and systems to shutdown Leafs stars like we saw from both CBJ and Montreal, the only response we saw from our coach as his solution was more ice-time. We're getting clearly out-coached making him among the weakest links behind the losses.

With Leafs roster last year against North Div QofC Leafs should have cruised to the final 4 under the new playoff format.

Last edited:
Reactions: NinjaKick and CDN24

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad