Line Combos: Leafs' biggest need?

Leafs' biggest need?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Because surface level wins and losses in a tiny sample with no context was your entire reasoning for claiming that Keefe wasn't NHL caliber.

Surface level wins are certainly a big part of it.

What context did you want? The team should have won despite the context.

Lots of options outside of that.

As I said, your bad luck excuses might have merit against contending teams, but we lost to borderline playoff teams. Context shouldn’t even matter - we should demolish both those teams.

Your assumption regarding this deflection of yours would be incorrect.

So then what strategies does Keefe implement that you like?

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
The argument is the exact same - context is important. You can call them lesser if you acknowledge that there's more to a proper evaluation than surface level wins and losses. But you can't have it both ways.

It was you that brought points into the discussion.

I'll await your rationalization.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
Jebus right over my head.... I'm too pretty to get that joke... God was passing out brains, I thought he said trains and I said to him... I will catch the next one....
I heard rain and ran for cover

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
I was not the one that brought records into the discussion.

Guess I'm seeing things......

We're currently better than the team that lost to Columbus, and I think we should have won against Columbus, but people also vastly underrated Columbus that year. Fact is, they had the same number of points as us, so if you're going to call them lesser, then you're acknowledging that there's more to team evaluation, which is problematic for somebody attempting to define a coach exclusively by those same surface results in a much smaller sample, arbitrarily attributed to him. Two isn't "repeatedly" either, for the record.

Nope, I'm not. You had me worried there.

Reactions: ACC1224

TheGreatOne11

Jun 29, 2009
Toronto
need to dump the GM/Coach but the main piece that has to go is Tavares , breaking his 11m dollar cap hit into needed pieces is the only way this team will have a chance to succeed

J.T bleeds blue and white, and I enjoy him as a player, but if there was a way for this to happen it would be the quickest way for us to make a major change, a solid 5 million dollar left wing or center and a 6 million dollar defensmen would be infinitely better for the team spreading more talent.

Alas, he's the captain with a no trade clause if I'm not mistaken, so he is going nowhere.

But it would have been the easiest way to upgrade the team and spread out some needed talent for sure, I am a J.T fan btw, but if we were to change it would be the easiest way.

Reactions: geo25

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
I’m confused…..what is a surface level wins? Are the counted different then good old fashion plain wins.

DraftSchmaft

Jul 29, 2021
Funny how the argument changes with the Dubites when it suits them.

2019-20 Season

A. Once Babcock was fired and Keefe took over, the Leafs were a Top 5 team
B. CBJ had the same number of points as us, so you can't call them lesser

Been a lurker for years. Can confirm these 2 never happened.

A.) Everyone said "wtf are we watching" before covid ended the season. Barely maintaining .500 hockey at one point and games were a bore. Fred letting in 6 goals every third or so game.
B.) When hockey came back it was the general consensus that Jackets are inferior to the Leafs.

B is a non story for me either way. Sports world doesn't work like a bunch of message board debates. A fan is going to root for his team when the playoffs come around and there will be bias. Big deal. If that triggers you, that's weird. It's entertainment at the end of the day. Second, pro-Dubas people said Jackets are inferior and Leafs should take the series. So b.) as a whole is false. Sadness and embarrassment follows and a lot of Marner bashing. Maybe the 1 person you were arguing with said B.) and you use it to generalize as a fact. I see that happening a lot in my short time here within the crowd that thinks their anger and disappointment is worth more than facts and logic.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Did they choke or did their coach allow them to be checked by the best defensive forward /line in the league..

They controlled the ice and chances against that shutdown line - they just couldn't put the puck in the net.

For me, that's a choke.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
They controlled the ice and chances against that shutdown line - they just couldn't put the puck in the net.

For me, that's a choke.

Price is kinda good eh? Winnipeg found out, LV found out... sometimes the other guy is just better.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Funny how the argument changes with the Dubites when it suits them.

2019-20 Season

A. Once Babcock was fired and Keefe took over, the Leafs were a Top 5 team
B. CBJ had the same number of points as us, so you can't call them lesser

The Leafs were a top 5 team.

But CBJ also improved over the course of that season, and from when Keefe was hired, CBJ was the #1 defense in hockey the rest of the way.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Price is kinda good eh? Winnipeg found out, LV found out... sometimes the other guy is just better.

I'd be more sympathetic to that if Price didn't get destroyed by TB and if matthews marner and Tavares hadn't also been stoned by both merzlikins and Korpisalo the year before.

(To be clear, I love Danault and think his line has been an underrated elite line for years.)

Reactions: IPS

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Matthews and Marner choked, Tavares was injured.
Also uh, imagine this year when our tavvy is healthy and capitanoing it up big tyme in the playoffs again :clap: He might be a killa for scrilla for us then. I mean, he our captain. He ain't the best captain, but he beginning to be that yzerman type now. He getting older and acheaving that there. Yzerman wasn't the greatest early on neither, tavvy getting there. He hard and heavy. He cares. He might bag a thang for us next playoffs. We getting tea while at it, what!!!

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
I’m confused…..what is a surface level wins? Are the counted different then good old fashion plain wins.
Better than old fashion plain wins, but not quite as good as expected wins.

All of them lag miles behind expected wins/60. He's the real daddy.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
I'd be more sympathetic to that if Price didn't get destroyed by TB and if matthews marner and Tavares hadn't also been stoned by both merzlikins and Korpisalo the year before.

(To be clear, I love Danault and think his line has been an underrated elite line for years.)

If the underlying metrics indicate Mitch and Matthews are dominating but they are not scoring, is that choking or is that just hot goalie, good defensive strategy, good opposition coaching?

For me the choking is when Mitch zipped the puck over the boards, I think choking = panic move. If the offensive metrics indicate they are doing everything right, IMO that means hot goalie, good defensive posturing.

Reactions: CDN24

TGB

Jun 7, 2021

Not really. The Leafs managed to match or outscore Montreal in nearly every game they played in the series. And for some reason D players tend to score on him. What happened is they royally flubbed the overtime games, then in game 7 the team had no energy. I don't really give Price that much credit for the series. This isn't like last year when they were getting boned in every game. The Leafs were beating Price when it mattered, and they were holding the lead/keeping the game close when it mattered...and then someone trips on their skates and Montreal scores.

Montreal wasn't that great. The Leafs just choked, plain and simple.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
If the underlying metrics indicate Mitch and Matthews are dominating but they are not scoring, is that choking or is that just hot goalie, good defensive strategy, good opposition coaching?

For me the choking is when Mitch zipped the puck over the boards, I think choking = panic move. If the offensive metrics indicate they are doing everything right, IMO that means hot goalie, good defensive posturing.
To me it points out that 2 high paid stars got beat by 1 high paid star further pointing out that the model of spending all that money on those two is flawed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad