Post-Game Talk: Leafs Best Senators in OT

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Ottawa played one of their worst games of the season, but I guess with the back to back, and everything, it’s to be expected.

I’ll ditto on loving playing the Leafs. This was a rested, healthy and motivated Leafs team and they struggled at beating our tired, injured and crappy playing team.

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
Ottawa played one of their worst games of the season, but I guess with the back to back, and everything, it’s to be expected.

I’ll ditto on loving playing the Leafs. This was a rested, healthy and motivated Leafs team and they struggled at beating our tired, injured and crappy playing team.
Leafs are going to get knocked out first round. Jets, Habs, Oil can do it.

Reactions: Rhaegar Targaryen

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
I am amazed that professional hockey players can turn the puck over so consistently when they have full control and no pressure on them.

It is amazing how easy we made that game for the Leafs and no way did we deserve to get to OT.

That said, once we were there we played well until that incredibly bad decision (tired or not, floating one through AM wasn't going to work) and of course it is more frustrating because it is the Leafs. Chabot could have made an easy pass to Formenton and he would have blown in.

Josh Brown has some fascination with trying no look passes...maybe so he has an excuse for never completing one.

Just an annoying game overall.

Reactions: SensHulk

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
Sens could really use a player like Savard, Ekholm, Hamilton in their top 4.

Chabot - Savard/Ekholm/Hamilton
Zub - JBD
Reilly - Brannstrom/Thomson/Other UFA pickup

Don't want to see Gudbranson, Coburn, J. Brown etc. on this team again.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Anyone else think the team collapses too much in the D zone, and we never can reach the puck when it gets passed around the boards. Exact same done first month. Bad defensive strategy.
Yes. It drives me bananas. With more younger, quicker guys coming in like Formenton and Stützle, I hope to play more of a puck pressure D system, but I don't think that's DJs style at all.

Reactions: SensFactor

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa

Forsberg was a big reason we hung in there. The Sens couldn’t complete two passes in a row. Having a fresh goalie that could play like that when the skaters were all tired from a back-to-back was the only reason it was close.

Reactions: DrEasy

bacon25

Unenthusiastic User
Nov 29, 2010
Group Study Room F

How many games have you seen this season. The fact that Ottawa is not getting blown out anymore (except for when playing Edmonton) feels great. They have played a lot worse than last night.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Two goal came from Campbell misplaying the puck. The Sens didn’t generate shit

One leaf goal came off a shot that was deflected, hit the cross bar, bounced out, hit a leaf player in the arm, was called no goal on the ice and had to be reviewed. Without that goal, leafs lose in regulation

In OT, the Leafs goal was the direct result of a bonehead pass on a 3 on 1.

Leafs didn't generate much shit either, moreso when you consider the odds of playing back to back versus fresh

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Leafs are going to get knocked out first round. Jets, Habs, Oil can do it.

I think you guys can do it as well. The way Ottawa is playing, I think they can make up the ground. We got swept by Toronto and were back at least 10 points. Fast forward 10 days and we are 2 points behind. One day we were tied. Points can be made up quick in this division

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
You could tell they were gassed. The schedule is a bigger deal this year than it usually is

c_mak

Jan 15, 2004
Waterloo
The score of this game flattered the Sens. While Ottawa did generate some scoring chances they spent a lot of time defending the cycle., they protected the "house " very well
I thought they did a better job of breaking out of their zone. I thought they did a better job of defending the blue line on zone entry.
Finally I have liked having Grudbranson on D. I am suspending that belief

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
How many games have you seen this season. The fact that Ottawa is not getting blown out anymore (except for when playing Edmonton) feels great. They have played a lot worse than last night.

A huge reason we got blown out was due to bad goaltending.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Quite true. And its interesting to get a look at Daccord, Gustavsson, Forsberg after Hogberg and Murray. Some good potential I think. Not yet convinced Murray will be the best of them either.

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
I think you guys can do it as well. The way Ottawa is playing, I think they can make up the ground. We got swept by Toronto and were back at least 10 points. Fast forward 10 days and we are 2 points behind. One day we were tied. Points can be made up quick in this division
That's great optimism however our defense is simply not good enough or consistent enough to move us into a playoff position with 20 games left. We also have played way more games than the Habs.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
It's a 56 game season after almost 12 months off, he's going to be just fine.
Using that logic, Chabot should be able to run 5 marathons in one day because he's had months and months of inactivity. That's not how the body works with athletic workload. You have to factor in wear and tear over a compressed schedule. In order to maintain healthy tissue and optimum CNS load, the body needs adequate rest. Overloading a player is how you create lingering injuries like groin pulls etc. Most of the supporting musculature that braces your joints are comprised of smaller muscles that can only do so much work before failing. If a supporting muscle fails, that's how you get some serious issues with torn labrums etc.

Reactions: Viletho

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
That's great optimism however our defense is simply not good enough or consistent enough to move us into a playoff position with 20 games left. We also have played way more games than the Habs.

I would be pretty optimistic about the future though if I were you. You have a good young group there now only to get stronger in the upcoming years. I see you have some very good prospects playing for UND
I envision Stanley Cup Finals Ottawa vs Edmonton in a few years

Reactions: SensFactor

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
as nice as it was to see Formenton have a goal, i swear the leafs controlled every aspect of the game. Nice to get some solid goaltending though

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Terrible giveaway by Chabot tonight but I thought otherwise he was pretty good. Guy looks gassed though.

I thought Tkachuk played terrible last game. Lazy. No attention to detail and weak in his own end.

Josh Brown is still bad but my blood pressure is not ready for Gud to draw back in. I'd bring up Brannstrom and play him on a third pairing with Coburn. I don't care which one plays on the right; they'll be better than those two other oafs.

Norris looked good. Hopefully he's pushed through the rookie wall.

Batherson is really improving his 200 foot game. I think he's our best forward right now.

The fourth line is a bright spot right now. Speed to burn and getting some results. So much for 4th lines needing to be full of face punchers. This is a modern NHL fourth line. If we could replace Bishop with someone similar who can PK it's a top end 4th line.

Kudos to Forsberg on that performance. 2nd game in 12 months and he gave us every chance to win the game.

Reactions: DrEasy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad