From that list I'd rank them,

1. Clarkson
2. Franson
3. Kessel
4. Winnik

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Nope. It's really not. Not saying that it was a good trade for us. It's just not even remotely bad as giving up Seguin and Hamilton.

I think it's only fair to say if we're going to judge the first Kessel trade on what came out of it, we need to at least wait until Kapanen and Harrington boom/bust and we see who we pick before making these judgements about the second.

It's very likely our return won't be as good as Boston's, but we got Kessel out of that deal. If this one goes south, we could end up with very little in return for Kessel....(implying it could easily be worse).

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
The only trade we really know the value of currently is the Clarkson trade. Addition by subtraction really. Too hard to determine the true values of the others as of yet.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
So the Franson/Santorelli deal is the following with post-trade trades included:

:leafs acquire
Brendan Leipsic
Travis Dermott
Jeremy Bracco
Martins Dzierkals
STL 6th round pick 2016

I was going to vote for the Kessel trade (which feels strange, since I didn't like it for the first couple of hours after I saw it), but after I saw the Franson trade broken down like this, it's pretty hard not to like what we created out of two expiring contracts.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Those trades do not even happen without the Franson deal that netted the 24th pick. So I guess you are voting for it instead.

BUT that trade never happens without the Franson/Lombardi deal, so I guess I'm really voting for that one.

Wait, how did Lombardi end up in Nashville, I guess I'm voting for that....

Golly Gee.

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
The thing that people have to keep in mind for the Kessel trade is that if he bounces back and has a really good year next year this could hurt us by helping us win games, and placing us higher in the standings when we should be a bottom 5 team. Moving him gurartees a lower finish. The value of having the 3rd OA pick over the 8th OA could be huge (I realise there is a draft lottery still., but my point still stands).

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
BUT that trade never happens without the Franson/Lombardi deal, so I guess I'm really voting for that one.

Wait, how did Lombardi end up in Nashville, I guess I'm voting for that....

Golly Gee.

I had another poll for that one. And yes, it was doing well too. Perhaps it will even be better now with the assets The more recent trade has netted.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
The thing that people have to keep in mind for the Kessel trade is that if he bounces back and has a really good year next year this could hurt us by helping us win games, and placing us higher in the standings when we should be a bottom 5 team. Moving him gurartees a lower finish. The value of having the 3rd OA pick over the 8th OA could be huge (I realise there is a draft lottery still., but my point still stands).

And the Kessel trade is also symbolic of a fresh start for the Leafs. While not Kessel's fault, everything that could have went wrong from 2009-2015, did.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
And the Kessel trade is also symbolic of a fresh start for the Leafs. While not Kessel's fault, everything that could have went wrong from 2009-2015, did.

And in 3 years when Kessel is owed basically nothing and carries a cap of 6.8 in an 80 million league he will get traded for a kings ransom. I can't wait to see what happens here then

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
And in 3 years when Kessel is owed basically nothing and carries a cap of 6.8 in an 80 million league he will get traded for a kings ransom. I can't wait to see what happens here then

And how does that affect the Leafs? Penguins could trade him for McDavid for all I care. We were not getting that type of return.

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
Firing Nonis & Co. = Addition By Subtraction.

Although not a trade it was the best move this team has made since aquiring Mats Sundin imo.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
The Clarkson deal is the best on the actual day of the trade when you think about how it was (Alex Semin has been bought out) the worst contract in the league. I couldn't believe it happened when it did..

But getting Brendan Leipsic, Travis Dermott, Jeremy Bracco, Martins Dzierkals AND the STL 6th round pick 2016 back for Franson and Santo? How could that not be considered anything but a steal, and the best trade since aquiring Jake Gardiner and Joffrey Lupul.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Those trades do not even happen without the Franson deal that netted the 24th pick. So I guess you are voting for it instead.

You do understand they are different transactions and he made clear the transaction he liked ? Kinda like saying if you liked the Kessel to Pittsburg trade you must have liked the Burke version more because you needed one to do the other. I bit silly Mentalist .

Doug Gilmour

Oct 5, 2010
Best hockey trade was the Franson to Nashville. The Clarkson for Horton trade was a win for both teams but based on what helps us most for future I say the Nashville trade because of all the players it ended up bringing us in the end.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009

he's got 26m coming to him the last 4 years combined , that's far from "basically nothing"

and the reason there was so little interest in him is that no one has faith he'll be a productive player the last 4 years of his contract

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
So the Franson/Santorelli deal is the following with post-trade trades included:

:leafs acquire
Brendan Leipsic
Travis Dermott
Jeremy Bracco
Martins Dzierkals
STL 6th round pick 2016

It's always great after time has passed to see people get enamoured with prospect names and their positive scouting feedback. Then some trades like this look amazing based on their expectations right after the draft, however in reality it's likely the odds are that only 1/5 of these players will become NHL regulars which brings the trade back into the realm of "oh yea, I guess it was pretty fair..."

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
It's always great after time has passed to see people get enamoured with prospect names and their positive scouting feedback. Then some trades like this look amazing based on their expectations right after the draft, however in reality it's likely the odds are that only 1/5 of these players will become NHL regulars which brings the trade back into the realm of "oh yea, I guess it was pretty fair..."

Isn't getting even one young, controllable NHL regular still a win when all you traded were 3 months of expiring contracts you weren't intending on re-signing?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Most believe 1 > 0.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/maple-leafs-trade-phil-kessel-to-penguins/

In return Toronto gets centre Nick Spaling, forward Kasperi Kapanen, defenceman Scott Harrington, plus first- and third-round picks from 2016. Toronto will retain $1.2 million of Kessel’s salary in each of the next seven seasons.

The Leafs are also sending forward Tyler Biggs, defenceman Tim Erixon and a 2016 second-round pick to Pittsburgh.

Trade isn't exactly like has been stated.

Kapanen probably the best asset returned to the Leafs in the trades involved, however who knows what is going to happen with the other picks and future picks involved in all the trades?

Leafs Horton deal is kind of a wash, they get nothing for their money, but it was good for Clarkson.

If we apply the Kessel was not traded for a 2nd. overall, 9th overall, and 32nd. overall rule, we can only use what Franson and Santorelli were traded for and not what the Leafs then did with those picks.

Santorelli and Franson were traded: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...nson-santorelli-to-nashville/article23006452/
The Leafs traded defenceman Cody Franson and forward Mike Santorelli to the Nashville Predators in exchange for a first-round pick, prospect Brendan Leipsic and soon-to-be-free-agent centre Olli Jokinen.

Last edited:

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/maple-leafs-trade-phil-kessel-to-penguins/

Trade isn't exactly like has been stated.

Kapanen probably the best asset returned to the Leafs in the trades involved, however who knows what is going to happen with the other picks and future picks involved in all the trades?

Leafs Horton deal is kind of a wash, they get nothing for their money, but it was good for Clarkson.

We get cap space during the season if we need it, which could potentially become very valuable if the contract is still running when we become competitive, or in the near-future to take on cap dumps in trades. Not really a wash.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad