Speculation: Leafs Best Recent Trade

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
The Franson and Santa trade was the best in my opinion. Leipsic is going to be a good player for us and we turned that pick into 3 killer prospects.

What a solid move.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
The Kessel trade was acceptable and brought back Kapanen in return, who I am most hopeful for out of everything we've received in trades the past year. So in that sense, Kessel was the best trade.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
The Franson and Santa trade was the best in my opinion. Leipsic is going to be a good player for us and we turned that pick into 3 killer prospects.

What a solid move.

Value wise I agree. Got 5 assets, 2(Dermott+Leipsic) that are going to be part of a rebuild and a 2 picks on the move down, and 3rd, a 2016 6th rd pick to come for basically nothing. 2 expiring contracts.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
The Kessel trade was acceptable and brought back Kapanen in return, who I am most hopeful for out of everything we've received in trades the past year. So in that sense, Kessel was the best trade.

This is a good discussion point. I don't think we got good value back on the Kessel deal, but from a moving on standpoint. It carries value. This is why I worded the question in an open manner to create discussion. It all depends what a person considers as best.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
This is a good discussion point. I don't think we got good value back on the Kessel deal, but from a moving on standpoint. It carries value. This is why I worded the question in an open manner to create discussion. It all depends what a person considers as best.

I agree with that. If you had asked which trade did we "win" and beat the other team, then I would answer differently.

MastuhNinks

Apr 30, 2011
The Iron Throne
A few weeks of Franson and Santorelli essentially netted the Leafs Travis Dermott, Jeremy Bracco, Martins Dzierkals and Branden Lepisic. Santorelli scored 5 points in 26 games for the Preds regular season and playoffs combined, Franson had 6 points in 28 games, both players were scratched at the beginning of the playoffs I believe. If not for the team being banged up they might not have seen any playoff action at all.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The Winnik trade was largely undone, since the Leafs traded the pick back and re-signed Winnik.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I expect more votes for the Clarkson and Kessel deals. It is early. ;)

Seriously though, no trade has been earth shattering great for the Leafs.
For Burke it was probably Phaneuf for spare parts (along with JVR) and for Nonis it was Bernier and Franson deal.

Dermott/Bracco pick movement from that deal could be the best picks/trade as a result.
Hunter/Dubas have the chance to win with the moves. Harrington/Kapanen/picks for something excellent.
So for this year: Franson/Santa.

Everything before is pretty meh.

Last edited:

Stephen23

Aug 22, 2009
Halifax, NS
To get a 1st AND a really good prospect for Franson and Santo is tremendous. The Clarkson/Horton trade was also good, but to me that was more of a beneficiary trade where there was a team in a worse situation then us and would rather pay someone to play then not. And luckily enough Clarkson fits in very well with their team identity.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Well trading Winnik for a 2nd and a 4th and then re-signing Winnik has to considered a great deal.

The Santo/Franson deal could also still have a similar effect as I expect one of those players might still return.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
The Clarkson trade was brilliant. I didn't think we would ever be able to move that contract and then the miracle happened.

The only other option for Clarkson would have been to play him on the 4th line and hope he doesn't take too many penalties. I think he would be a very useful 4th line guy to have because I think he would still chip in with some goals, and you get all the "intangibles".

I think this new management group came in just in time. Dubas is basically going to save the day IMO. We were very close to having $23+ mil tied up in Clarkson, Bolland, Franson, and Kessel... had things played out a little differently. The fact that all these guys are gone and we have all this cap space is really going to help the team.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Clarkson was a death knell for the Nonis era, and seemed like he would be an anchor dropped onto the ocean, tied to a noose around Shanahan's neck.

As much as there was a need to trade Kessel to change the culture, there was a need to trade Clarkson to save Pridham from eventual suicide.

It's the clear winner.

#2 is the Franson deal, as of now. #3 is the Winnik deal, and finally, the Kessel deal.

That can certainly change depending on how things look in 6 years at the end of Kessel's contract, and we know how the prospects turn out.

Leipsic is a bottom 6 and more reliable to turn out. But Kapanen is a boom/bust. And the 1st could end up being pretty late.

Not to mention, if Shanahan "sells us" on trading Kessel because "you can't win with him" and the Pens win in the next year or so, that's going be a big blow to Shanahan.

The Winnik deal turned into Marincin for literally nothing, how can you be upset with that.

Marincin was almost a positive +/- player in Edmonton. Edmonton!

How often are we landing pieces like that for "nothing"?

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
The Winnik trade was largely undone, since the Leafs traded the pick back and re-signed Winnik.

Not really. If we didn't have that 2nd, then they probably ask for our 2nd this year instead like they did with the 2017 part of the deal if Pittsburgh doesn't make the playoffs this year. It's not like we just gave it to them for free. It was an asset we used in another trade. That trade just happened to be with the same team.

We also got Marincin in a trade using their other pick

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
Clarkson was a death knell for the Nonis era, and seemed like he would be an anchor dropped onto the ocean, tied to a noose around Shanahan's neck.

As much as there was a need to trade Kessel to change the culture, there was a need to trade Clarkson to save Pridham from eventual suicide.

It's the clear winner.

#2 is the Franson deal, as of now. #3 is the Winnik deal, and finally, the Kessel deal.

That can certainly change depending on how things look in 6 years at the end of Kessel's contract, and we know how the prospects turn out.

Leipsic is a bottom 6 and more reliable to turn out. But Kapanen is a boom/bust. And the 1st could end up being pretty late.

Not to mention, if Shanahan "sells us" on trading Kessel because "you can't win with him" and the Pens win in the next year or so, that's going be a big blow to Shanahan.

The Winnik deal turned into Marincin for literally nothing, how can you be upset with that.

Marincin was almost a positive +/- player in Edmonton. Edmonton!

How often are we landing pieces like that for "nothing"?

Only to those that don't have a grasp of what Shanahan was saying. He didn't think they could win with their existing group. Which I would say is obviously accurate & it would be a losing battle to try to retool. Yet I'm sure he was selling the Penquins that Kessel could be the difference of a cup or not to a team that could hide or compensate for Kessels deficiencies, which I think is accurate as well. If Kessel was 22, Shanahan would probably have kept him & asked Babcock to fix what was broken.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Clarkson trade was great, going to vote Santa/Franson though, we got a steal for those guys, and we're not up against the cap right now which devalues the Clarkson trade a little until we use that space.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I guess a way to look at it is that we rented him for a 4th round pick, which we flipped for Marincin.

Something I'm considering with the Pittsburgh/Kessel deal is the Penguins wanted back Tim Erixon and Tyler Biggs, who they must be thinking of as projects with upside.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad