Speculation: Leafs Best Recent Trade

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
We get cap space during the season if we need it, which could potentially become very valuable if the contract is still running when we become competitive, or in the near-future to take on cap dumps in trades. Not really a wash.

Agreed, not a wash at all. An impossible contract to move was moved, how can that not be a huge win?

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
We get cap space during the season if we need it, which could potentially become very valuable if the contract is still running when we become competitive, or in the near-future to take on cap dumps in trades. Not really a wash.

It is an asset if they need to use the cap space, but the BJ's do have an asset they can put on the ice for the money they were already spending.

If the Leafs don't go to the cap it isn't an asset.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
It is an asset if they need to use the cap space, but the BJ's do have an asset they can put on the ice for the money they were already spending.

If the Leafs don't go to the cap it isn't an asset.

Clarkson would have to outplay all of the guys we've brought in this summer for a fraction of the price in order to even be a warm body on this team though. Roster space is an asset as well, if you didn't like the player previously occupying it.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Isn't getting even one young, controllable NHL regular still a win when all you traded were 3 months of expiring contracts you weren't intending on re-signing?

Absolutely! Hence why I said when you reflect on the deal, you would say "That seems reasonably fair...". But many will rate the list of prospect names 2 weeks after the draft as more valuable than the pick numbers they were before the draft. All of their names will surely even be included in our stacked "NHL lines of the future"

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Absolutely! Hence why I said when you reflect on the deal, you would say "That seems reasonably fair...". But many will rate the list of prospect names 2 weeks after the draft as more valuable than the pick numbers they were before the draft. All of their names will surely even be included in our stacked "NHL lines of the future"

Yep, fair enough. The likelihood of most of those guys reaching their potential isn't great, but even if you get one or 2 of them to make an impact as a regular body, you're still winning that deal hands down. Particularly with the way Nashville utilized the pieces we gave up. But I do get your point.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Yep, fair enough. The likelihood of most of those guys reaching their potential isn't great, but even if you get one or 2 of them to make an impact as a regular body, you're still winning that deal hands down. Particularly with the way Nashville utilized the pieces we gave up. But I do get your point.

I do rate the Franson/Santorelli trade value as the highest in the poll, as well. At this point, given how wild prospects tend to sway as young as todays picks and Kapanen/Harrington, I actually value the quantity over the perceived quality. Though someone with better amateur/pro scouting eyes (and time!) than I do might vehemently disagree :P

mallory67

Jul 2, 2015
North Carolina
The thing that people have to keep in mind for the Kessel trade is that if he bounces back and has a really good year next year this could hurt us by helping us win games, and placing us higher in the standings when we should be a bottom 5 team. Moving him gurartees a lower finish. The value of having the 3rd OA pick over the 8th OA could be huge (I realise there is a draft lottery still., but my point still stands).

I am not sure moving a guy with a who is -34 makes us worse. He was on the ice for 34 more goals than his linemates scored. +/- is a weird stat .. but I think moving him might make us a bit better. In this case +/- is telling us something about the whole JVR/Bozak/Kessel line ...

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Something I'm considering with the Pittsburgh/Kessel deal is the Penguins wanted back Tim Erixon and Tyler Biggs, who they must be thinking of as projects with upside.

I think the Maple Leafs just wanted to open up contract spaces to sign who they did. Not sure how close to that 50 limit they were

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I am not sure moving a guy with a who is -34 makes us worse. He was on the ice for 34 more goals than his linemates scored. +/- is a weird stat .. but I think moving him might make us a bit better. In this case +/- is telling us something about the whole JVR/Bozak/Kessel line ...

If our #1 line had say Lupul instead of Kessel, they might all have been -60 though. :)

We'll never know of course but to say we're better off without Kessel is quite the stretch IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad